Steam Workshop Now Allows User Content To Be Sold

Pikminiman

Assistant Writer
Reaction score
Since its debut, items on the Steam Workshop for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have garnered a total of over 170 million downloads to date. In order to facilitate and encourage community content creators even further, today Valve announced that Steam Workshop creators will now be able to sell their creations directly on the Steam Workshops for certain games and receive a portion of the generated revenue. This new functionality begins today with Skyrim as the first game to support monetized Workshop items.

Along with the announcement came the news that the process for listing, selling, and managing Workshop items has been newly-streamlined with a host of new features. For instance, content creators will have free reign to choose their own prices for their own items -- and of course, “free” will always remain an option. Additionally, Workshop creators now have access to new tools that will allow them to easily keep track of item sales and revenue.
releasing_easy.jpg

Similarly to Steam Greenlight, items which were produced by multiple people can now be set to distribute revenue to each contributing member as part of a team. Since this addition opens the doors for using assets from other Workshop items, it also allows Workshop items to have dependencies/requirements, such as having specific games, DLC, or other mods already installed.

In an effort to stave off unwarranted reviews, paid Workshop items will now require users to purchase them before being able to review them. Additionally, all paid Workshop items will henceforth give users the option of returning for a refund within 24 hours of purchasing.

Despite being a mere few hours old, the new paid Workshop policies have already proven controversial, with many users pointing out that this new system takes away a lot of the incentive that creators have to make their content available for free. There have been a great many people suggesting that a donation-based system would be preferable to this full-on purchasing approach, as it gates off a substantial amount of content that would otherwise be free.

While Skyrim is the only title to support these new Workshop features as of today, Valve have made it clear that more titles should follow in the coming weeks. So, as usual, we’ll be sure to keep you up-to-date on all the latest Workshop news.​

Either some producers might get some cash outta their work...

or Steam just shot itself in the brain.

Last edited:
This would probably work far better for the mod developers in the long run if it was non-mandatory donation, rather than required payment. And even then, I think it should only be available to people who have a satisfactory track record of making mods.

If this is a good thing or not depends on the players. The "market" will regulate itself if people are not stupid and dont buy every mod out there, but only pay for the really good ones. Then the rest of the people will realize that it isnt worth it cause nobody is checking out their mods anymore and make them free again. But thats a dream.
Anyway, I also agree that this should be like a donation, every mod should be free.

I don't see the problem here. I am all in for the ability to sell mods. Sure "mods should be free", but that's really for the mod creators to decide isn't it?

*edit*
Nevermind, the modders went too far because the prices are ridiculousl

Last edited:
ok I just saw that Valve takes 75%. That is ridiculous as hell. Okay we dont know how it splits between Bethesda and Valve, but still they are marketing this as "Support the modders!" but take 75%? For something they have done nothing at all, except providing the workshop? I mean if it was a Valve game then ok but ...
I hope Bethesda gets the 75%, or least 60% or something.

But again, I think this is the right idea, but executed the wrong way. Modders should definitly be able to earn some money for their hard work.

ok I just saw that Valve takes 75%. That is ridiculous as hell. Okay we dont know how it splits between Bethesda and Valve, but still they are marketing this as "Support the modders!" but take 75%? For something they have done nothing at all, except providing the workshop? I mean if it was a Valve game then ok but ...
I hope Bethesda gets the 75%, or least 60% or something.

But again, I think this is the right idea, but executed the wrong way. Modders should definitly be able to earn some money for their hard work.

I believe that Bethesda does indeed take the majority share and not Valve, which is about roughly 45-55% of all sales. I agree the ratio is crap imho, it seems we are giving more money to the publisher rather than the content creators who made the mods in the first place. Though apparently Valve takes a standard 15-25% cut and the 45-55% publisher cut was decided by Bethesda themselves which only complicates things further.

well Bethesda made the game and the modding tools, so if they take the majority of the 75% then I think its fine, 15% for Valve is also fine I guess.

• There is a donation option, why the hell would anyone use it? Why wouldn't everyone sell their mods? even the shitty funny ones that take literally no effort?
  • Modders are under no obligation to fix their mods if an update breaks them or if there's conflict between mods.
  • Valve just made a black market for Skyrim mods, piracy ahoy! Users that pirated the game will also benefit from this because there are now workshop only mods available to pirate.
  • Its a flat 75%, i'm aware its been the case for Dota and TF2 items for ages but it doesn't make it any less absurd, no other company does this to this degree.
  • You now have to commit money to be able to mod, you are no longer allowed to experiment with mods, although there is the 24 hours refund period.
All i have to say.

Last edited:
Then the rest of the people will realize that it isnt worth it cause nobody is checking out their mods anymore and make them free again.

I think you underestimate greed.
Its either get paid, or don't get paid. Why would you not make your mod paid? You don't lose anything if you choose to put a price on your mod.
I do see there being a market for cheap mods because they are very accessible, but it doubt there's incentive for doing so, flat 75% and all.

Last edited:
They already created a petition o.o

I'll agree to just adding a donate button instead. Sounds much more productive.

Last edited:
releasing_easy-jpg.25113

Did you take a screenshot of your PC with a cell phone? =p

Honestly, I think this a good thing. No ones paying money for a shitty mod, ergo to earn money, mod developers will have to stepup their game.

I'll agree to just adding a donate button instead. Sounds much more productive.
I'm not sure why Valve decided to take this ultimately more complicated and clearly controversial route when the best option possible (adding a donation button for all suitable mods) isn't exactly too hard to work out in comparison.

It means all mods are still freely accessible as they should be, but active users can still support creative mod designers should they wish (guess what - people will, just look at how people throw money at Twitch channels).

This was a terrible idea. Very poorly executed, and I'm disappointed in Valve and Bethesda both. Already signed that petition and I'm boycotting Steam this weekend. I lost a decent amount of respect for each of these companies today, and they have effectively split the Skyrim modding community.

Wet and Cold - $4.99

I really liked Isoku's mods...

lol @ the butthurt brigade and oldschool gabe fat jokes nice thread 10/10

After some consideration of the pay-wall of some Skyrim mods, I have taken a more positive approach to this new system. I like the system a lot, if it wasn't for one thing, but despite that one thing, I hope we get more quality mods in result.

I already see mods as an endless stream of content, but now given the orpportunity to get paid, this can turn into a career for most modders. This means we have people who will create serious mods, quality mods in return of a small fee. I see this as community-driven DLC, and I would not be suprised if i see modders working in collaboration in creating new quality quests for Skyrim with everything from voice acting, weapons and new environments in the future. I think this is incredibly healthy for both the community and the game itself, if it wasn't for one thing.

Valve and Bethesda is taking a 75% of the earned revenue. An absolutely ridicolous amount if you're trying to get modders to work professionally. It is not profitable at all for the modders, and I think it's a huge letdown to such a great idea. It's by far the biggest problem with this new system, and completely contradicts the idea itself.

Also, it is perhaps not the best idea to give everyone the right to sell their mods? Or perhaps if it's very low quality, I'd assume you should in some way prevent them from selling their mods. I don't know if a rating system would work fine here, but at least some sort of sub-system that keeps the stream of content clear and fresh. We're talking about stuff consumers pay money for, so I'd expect you would get some worthy content in return.

Hopefully Valve will take great measures to fix these problems, as I would love to see a proper paid-mod system.

EDIT: There seems to be a lot more problems than stated here, such as modders creating shit mods and getting paid for. It needs some sort of regulation.

Last edited:
Valve and Bethesda is taking a 75% of the earned revenue. An absolutely ridicolous amount if you're trying to get modders to work professionally.
you also only get 25% for Dota 2 items you make and there are some people who do that for a living (but yeah still too low)

you also only get 25% for Dota 2 items you make and there are some people who do that for a living (but yeah still too low)

Yeah it is really low.

The thing about Dota 2 and TF2 are both free games with built-in shops so the idea of paid was more acceptable there. Raising the million dollar question of if Bethesda just made Skyrim free forever, would the outcry be as large?

Yeah it is really low.

The thing about Dota 2 and TF2 are both free games with built-in shops so the idea of paid was more acceptable there. Raising the million dollar question of if Bethesda just made Skyrim free forever, would the outcry be as large?

Interesting question. I think it'd still be a big outcry, because mods for Skyrim are more than just cosmetics in a multiplayer that add nothing to the game. They've been accessible for free ever since Skyrim launched three and a half years ago.

i think gabe's finally ****ing lost it

i mean he was in the process of losing it for a few years but now he's just practically confirming that he's a jew

no shalom

seriously even if the idea behind paid mods is good or bad, I just want them to revert everything back to original to make this stop. This is probably the biggest shitstorm against Valve ever isnt it (maybe the announcement of L4D2 was bigger I dont remember).

And the amount of downvotes on Gabe's little comment has now been about doubled to -3801.

Last edited:
Valve is offering a percentage of their revenue to a list of service providers, such as Nexus Mods or BlenderFoundation. This means that mods that use the SKSE, will now give a certain percentage of Valves revenue to some of the deserving modders and developers behind the scenes. I find this to be a step in the right direction, and the system seems to be slowly redeveloped/repolished.

eg1Pqap.png

Last edited:
Back