Steam - Worlds Largest piece of Poo?

Wesisapie

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it out?
I just did, and let me be the first to say, "not good".
Terrible in fact. It takes my bandwidth and uses it on whatever the hell is wants whenever it wants. It doesn't even tell you what, except "updating game". But then it finishes, and it starts updating all over again? It's eaten through about 500 megs so far, and it has no intention of stopping.

Drop your comments here.

No. The biggest piece of poo was in my pants after watching the HL2 demo.

STEAM is just like gamespy, it's gay and sucks!

I have had rumours that in the future you have to pay a monlty payment in order to use STEAM (and multiplayer)... it's sucks! Steam is just like microsoft...

I just want to download my files with just normal updates... steam sucks cause I use isdn...

Is it alright if I laugh "| - |" ?, have a problem with me having a sense of humor ?, good.:cheese:

i hate Steam it sux..why cant just be like it used to be...buy games in store..download mods...why does it have to be so god damn complicated all the time!

Hit monitor, it'll show you what its getting.

And it has to get the whole game first.

Steam needs broadband, so ISDN is not good.

I'll download HL2 through steam, to cut on waiting time.

Originally posted by MoD
I'll download HL2 through steam, to cut on waiting time.

Shame that i will beat you to a boxed copy by 2 days! :p

you're gonna download HL2 through steam cause you're too lazy to get the game from stores.
besides, who the hell wants a .htm manual? I mean really. I want the box, the hardcopy manual and the pride of owning HL2 CD.

I agree with righte0us, even if I had broadband I would still prefer to buy it through the store. I want that CD, I want that physical manual, I want that HL2 box. And if they release a special edition then I doubt you will be able to get it through steam.

yes they will send you action-figures and Alyx' brah(yes I'm positive this will be in the collectors edition) thru steam...

Yeah me too.... the only thing I would consider dling is TF2 when it comes out, since I believe THIS is THE game that will make people look up and say.... "wow, games do have cultural significance" Valve's is an example none are worthy to follow.... :E

I hate buying things trough internett.. I want to have it holding in my hands after purchase. I want to F33L dah box. buying from the internet is like buying air ATM IMO

Originally posted by Wesisapie
Has anyone tried it out?
I just did, and let me be the first to say, "not good".
Terrible in fact. It takes my bandwidth and uses it on whatever the hell is wants whenever it wants. It doesn't even tell you what, except "updating game". But then it finishes, and it starts updating all over again? It's eaten through about 500 megs so far, and it has no intention of stopping.

Drop your comments here.
You are using the beta. The beta deliberately corrupts the cache to force you to continuallly re-download the content. This is done to test server bandwidth, etc.

The final version won't do this, so you needn't worry about it.

there's still no point to Steam IMO.

I wonder if the time and money spend on developing it, will pay off for Valve in the end. sounds to me like a lot of those people who are actually willing to pay for the games want them+content in their physic forms rather than downloaded...

the only thing that I like just a little bit...is the auto-update...but in theory wouldn't this actually be able to be made just as a standard for games?

Oh my god, so it does that on purpose? What a piece of crap, i'm deleting it right now. I thoguht i might actually be able to PLAY a game that i spend all my time and bandwidth downloading, but now, how sily of me. They could at least tell you "WE ARE SCAMMING YOU INTO DOWNLOADING THIS, DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT"

Blech.

The thing is that STEAM has no reason behind it. Things were working fine for CS and Valve before the whole idea came along. Now it's just gone and pissed me off.

It's like Gamespy (but worsE) + Buddy system (completely useless) + monitor (to see how much data is is needlessly eating through) + Games (to show you a list of games you already knew you had) + some other crap i couldn't be bothered clicking + exit (the most important button there)

And also, the download speed goes up and down like my pants at a brothel.

0, 300, 2, 230, 0, 300, 0, 200 etc.

No way would i ever support this piece of crap.
Especially if i had dial up.

But i look forward to the guy who likes it giving his reasons for liking it.

The impression i got of it was it was designed for newbies who can't figure it out themselves.

It is.. but it should at least let you play without constantly downloading, and generally being gay and intrusive.

CS only takes 5-10 minutes to LOAD with steam!
It took way more, like 30 seconds the normal way.

Yeah. i love to collect the boxes, as well has the manuel. That's why i hate the move to dvd size cases, no more room for big manuels in the sims and wargames i get :/

One day my dad threw out all my computer game boxes.

I was so sad.

I just liked to look at them and feel like i'd accomplished something.

Oh my god, so it does that on purpose? What a piece of crap, i'm deleting it right now. I thoguht i might actually be able to PLAY a game that i spend all my time and bandwidth downloading, but now, how sily of me. They could at least tell you "WE ARE SCAMMING YOU INTO DOWNLOADING THIS, DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :E

One day my dad threw out all my computer game boxes.

I was so sad.

I just liked to look at them and feel like i'd accomplished something.
Same here.. he said it was junk and i couldn stop him. i had a very nice carmageddon box big think that contained carmageddon and carmageddon splatpack. ahhwell.. i was sad for a couple off days because i missed the look off the boxes bu i was quickly over it because my dad managed to not turn my quake 3 Arena and Quake 3 Team Arena boxes into junk

I've got one word for you..

BETA

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
Yeah. i love to collect the boxes, as well has the manuel. That's why i hate the move to dvd size cases, no more room for big manuels in the sims and wargames i get :/

you can't fit them in cd racks either :(

Blech.

The thing is that STEAM has no reason behind it. Things were working fine for CS and Valve before the whole idea came along. Now it's just gone and pissed me off.

It's like Gamespy (but worsE) + Buddy system (completely useless) + monitor (to see how much data is is needlessly eating through) + Games (to show you a list of games you already knew you had) + some other crap i couldn't be bothered clicking + exit (the most important button there)
OMG its a beta, its purpose is to TEST things, they need to TEST the its abilities with bandwidth so they release the BETA to do it. They are not scamming you, I mean when you download it they probably warn you "this is beta software" so that you will know that it probably WILL NOT be the same as the final version. Don't base your opinions on a beta piece of software, of course its going to do wierd things.

I'm on a 600k connection and it only took me 15 mins to get CS 1.6 :p and 10mins to get the new TFC :p, both took ages to load, laggy, buggy, kept crashing, just wait until it acctually released to the public :)

Its really isnt that bad, of corse you've got to realise that its still a beta but the features once bug free will be mint :eek:.

a msn like messenger in cs woot?

yes how lovely...now I'm in a middle of a shoot out and then I get a pop-up on screen telling me that "D-G-R-8" wants to talk to me...great!

man, all these people are bitching, If you dont want to be a beta tester dude for 1.6, get off! The first time i opened up steam it was a bitch, I just waited til the next day, opened it, and ive had no prob since.

You dont get a pop you screen you get a sound that tells you, you have a message and use Esc to check it when you have chance dont see wots so bad with that do you?

"If you don't wanna test, get off"

I did, i deleted it, and the 600 megs it had downloaded apparently for nothing. It was still downloading crap and i still couldn't play.

I know it's beta, but that guy says they deliberately corrupt your source files, they could at least tell you they're going to do that.

It's kind of sneaky to not tell you.

I know it's beta, but that guy says they deliberately corrupt your source files, they could at least tell you they're going to do that.
I havn't downloaded it (I use dialup so its useless to me) but they probably say somewhere that it will do that. How else would FatboyTim know about it?

Good idea but too slow and a lot more overhead where you would think there shouldn't be any. cs runs choppy for me too and i have a pretty modern pc which runs hl and cs without steam at max res 99.

Back