SteamDevDays: Day 1 Round-Up

Pikminiman

Assistant Writer
Reaction score
Ever since learning about Valve’s developer-only conference Steam Dev Days back in October 2013, the internet has wondered what interesting new revelations might come from the no-press-allowed event. Luckily for those of us not in the developer community, some attendees have been contributing to a slow drip-feed of news via Tweets and attached photos.

slide-jpg.24646

Gabe kicked off the event yesterday with a brief welcoming address, in which he stated Valve’s goal of breaking down the bottlenecks that make it difficult for developers to get their games on Steam. Ultimately, the goal is eliminate Steam Greenlight entirely in favor of more direct developer access to the Steam storefront.

Several highlights of the first day include:
  • As we mentioned yesterday, Steam has recently surpassed 75 million active users, with the community growing by a total of 15% in the last three months of 2013 alone.
steam_controller_prototype_cropped-jpg.24650
gigabyte_steam_machine_gift_cropped-jpg.24651
  • Steam Machines will focus on other living room media in addition to gaming, which is still the primary focus.
  • Valve announced that they will sell Steam Controllers through the Steam Store as well as in retail stores. Unfortunately, Valve have confirmed that the release dates and price points for the Steam Controller remain undecided at this stage.
beedabfcmaaov8k-jpg.24649
And as always, we’ll be sure to make more daily round-ups as the news continues coming in.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 19,597
  • BeEDABFCMAAOv8K.jpg
    BeEDABFCMAAOv8K.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3,694
  • steam_controller_prototype_cropped.jpg
    steam_controller_prototype_cropped.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,251
  • gigabyte_steam_machine_gift_cropped.jpg
    gigabyte_steam_machine_gift_cropped.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,160
The interesting bit is when they said that Steams VR actually surpasses Oculus, but in the same slide thay mentioned they were not planning on releasing their own and they have been working with OCR on positional tracking.

I guess Valve's own research is going into Oculus' own prototype and that it will drive up quality in the finished product.

I would be very surprised if Valve did not in some way have some stake in the OR.

Yes, maybe even indirectly like via enhanced support in SteamOS.

I meant financially.

Kelly Bailey is back! Also they mentioned Source 2 on of the charts like its already officially announced which I found a little strange.

I guess Valve's own research is going into Oculus' own prototype and that it will drive up quality in the finished product.
That would be really great, even if the research doesn't go there it would be nice with some competition for the VR-industry. :)

Kelly Bailey is back! Also they mentioned Source 2 on of the charts like its already officially announced which I found a little strange.

It kind of is, it just hasn't been shown or discussed in much detail yet. Gabe mentioned it to a group of people who visited him at Valve for his 50th birthday.

It kind of is, it just hasn't been shown or discussed in much detail yet. Gabe mentioned it to a group of people who visited him at Valve for his 50th birthday.

I have a good feeling we might see a source 2 game this year

yeah I saw that and as you said "it kind of is" and so I find it strange, dunno. Maybe after all this Hardware stuff, they will finally show something about Source 2 whether its with L4D3 or HL3.
After all there is no game from Valve for 2014 yet :)

The interesting bit is when they said that Steams VR actually surpasses Oculus, but in the same slide thay mentioned they were not planning on releasing their own and they have been working with OCR on positional tracking.

I'm guessing that Valve's VR prototype was some sort of "what is the absolute best we can do" thing while the Oculus Rift actually has to be an affordable, mass-produceable consumer product so it's not terrible surprising that it'd be better.

Back