Student suspended for talking to his mother in Iraq

The Dark Elf

Reaction score
(CNN) -- A Georgia student, suspended after violating his high school's cell-phone ban to talk to his mother in Iraq, returned to class on Monday.

Officials at Spencer High School in Columbus shortened a 10-day suspension for Kevin Francois, 17.

Although cell-phone use is prohibited at the school, officials said Kevin was being punished for using profanity after a teacher interrupted his call from Iraq -- where his mother, a U.S. Army soldier, is serving in the Iraq war.

Kevin denied cursing during the incident.

On Friday, the incident attracted national news media attention, prompting a flood of e-mail to the school. By Friday afternoon, school officials told Kevin his suspension would be shortened to the two days he had served.

On Monday, Principal Olivia Rutledge, Assistant Principal Al Parham and two school counselors met with Kevin and his guardian, according to a statement released by the school.

"Kevin is now back in class at Spencer, following a conference in which behavior expectations were discussed and methods of supporting Kevin were outlined," the statement said.

"Kevin will not be penalized for his two-day suspension, and his guardian will meet on Tuesday with Kevin's counselor and teachers regarding his overall academic progress this semester."

The incident began Wednesday, when Kevin's mother called him from Iraq while he was at school on a lunch break. School officials said Kevin used profanity after a teacher interrupted the conversation, citing the school's cell-phone ban.

"The suspension was really incidental to the telephone. It was the behavior of the student, using profanity, screaming at the teacher," said John Phillips Jr., superintendent for the Muscogee County School District.

"He became very belligerent and very threatening to her" when she asked him to turn over the phone, Phillips said.

Kevin, a junior, disputed the school's version of the incident. "I was just talking to them and they wouldn't listen to me about talking to my mom," he said last week. "I didn't curse at them."

Phillips said the teacher was not aware at the time that Kevin was on the phone with his mother in Iraq.

"I'm sure if she was aware of that, she would have acted much differently in dealing with the matter," Phillips said.

The boy lives with an aunt, who is his guardian while his mother is away, Phillips said. He said Kevin knew it was against school policy to use a cell phone on school grounds.

The school, which is near Fort Benning, often arranges for students to receive calls from parents who are deployed with the military, Phillips said. More than 3,700 students in the district are from military families.

The Dark Elf said:
On Friday, the incident attracted national news media attention, prompting a flood of e-mail to the school. By Friday afternoon, school officials told Kevin his suspension would be shortened to the two days he had served.

Ah, the power of media attention.

The kid was a dumbass... he got suspended... and?

I remember reading about this. Not sure who to believe though. The teacher should definitely have let the phone call slide in this case. But on the other hand, if the kid really did throw as big of a swearing fit as they said he did then he deserved some type of punishment. Although a suspension, let alone that long of a suspension, was way too extreme.

Ikerous said:
The kid was a dumbass... he got suspended... and?
And he got suspended for talking to his mother who's currently in Iraq.

bvasgm said:

During lunch hour too. Hardly a distraction if you ask me.

bvasgm said:
A call he could have easily arranged with the school..
He knew they werent allowed to be using cell phones
Not to mention the cursing/yelling at the teacher part.. :/

Yup. It's not like he was taking a call right in the middle of class...it was during lunch...lunch...

Edit: She called him. Maybe it was the only time she'd be able to talk to him. You mean alleged cursing.

bvasgm said:
Yup. It's not like he was taking a call right in the middle of class...it was during lunch...lunch...
And? He was still breaking a rule ><
Break a rule >> Get punished...

bvasgm said:
No, no, no, no, no.

He got suspended for using his cellphone, without permission, in a prohibited place. Absolutely nothing to do with who he was talking to.

"I'm sure if she was aware of that [That being his mom], she would have acted much differently in dealing with the matter," John Phillips Jr., superintendent for the Muscogee County School District.

bvasgm said:
Edit: She called him. Maybe it was the only time she'd be able to talk to him. You mean alleged cursing.
And she couldn't have aranged that with the school..?
(Whered it say she called him btw? Don't feel like reading it again :p)

And for the cursing, i tend to give teachers more credit than students on that issue ;-)

And the fact still stands, he broke a rule, he gets in trouble, he moves on. So what?
The only thing the school did wrong was shorten his punishment.

Although cell-phone use is prohibited at the school, officials said Kevin was being punished for using profanity after a teacher interrupted his call from Iraq -- where his mother, a U.S. Army soldier, is serving in the Iraq war.

Also, they can't prove he was swearing, they just want to make him look bad to shift the focus away from them punishing him for talking to his mom who's stationed in Iraq. *Whew*

He shouldn't be let off just because his mother was in Iraq - he served a punishment like all students would have to for breaking a school rule. The rule as it is, sucks anyway imo.

Chris_D said:
No, no, no, no, no.

He got suspended for using his cellphone, without permission, in a prohibited place. Absolutely nothing to do with who he was talking to.
Exactly, the kids just playing some kind of patriotic trump card to get out of a punishment, altough I think the punishment is rather severe.

EDIT: ^^^^Almost exactly the same...

Ahhh! Terrorists are taking advantage of America's teenagers! Ban the cellphones, ban the mothers!

And the school is most likely stating he swore to cover their tracks but then again I wouldn't be afraid to say **** off in that case

*EDIT* - Oh em gee, post 999!

I feel so alone... ;(

Seriously..am I the only one who thinks the school was wrong?

bvasgm said:
I feel so alone... ;(

Seriously..am I the only one who thinks the school was wrong?
Yes .

I would've walked across the street then, be off school grounds, they can't say anything to you then.

DiSTuRbEd said:
I would've walked across the street then, be off school grounds, they can't say anything to you then.
And get suspended for ditching :p

I'm curious what TDE has to say about it
Considering he found it interesting enough to make a thread on..

Chris_D said:
Damn..I was hoping someone would switch sides out of pity...

;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

How about now?
*backs away slowly*

bvasgm said:

I'm going to have to agree with Ikerous here. Why did he have to talk to her during school?

DiSTuRbEd said:
Not entirely if it was lunch break.
Most schools have closed lunches (I know mine does)
So if you leave it's considered ditching

Teh_Poet said:
I'm going to have to agree with Ikerous here. Why did he have to talk to her during school?
Because maybe it's the only time she could call. Notice it says the call was from Iraq. (Also, way to take the Admin's side.... :p (Chris_D..I know Ikerous isn't an Admin))

I thought she rang him?

I'm divided on the issue. On the one hand he broke school rules (he could've just turned the thing off for god's sake), but on the other hand his mother is a soldier who could die at any moment.

Slightly different to your usual delinquent excuse, but hey, there're no exceptions...

Ikerous said:
Most schools have closed lunches (I know mine does)
So if you leave it's considered ditching

Well its only considered ditching if they catch you ;)

Edcrab said:
I thought she rang him?

I'm divided on the issue. On the one hand he broke school rules (he could've just turned the thing off for god's sake), but on the other hand his mother is a soldier who could die at any moment.

Slightly different to your usual delinquent excuse, but hey, there're no exceptions...
Meh, anyone could die at anytime. Ive never heard of anyone taking a phone call from a cancer-ridden parent during school.

EDIT: Without permission and make such a big fuss about it.

Teh_Poet said:

Time zone difference. After school would be late night in Iraq.

Moring would be during the working day.

Lunchtime at school was probably the best time for a call.

Exactly. It may have been the only opportunity for her to call him.

ffs, suspended for talking on a phone..

are schools this power mad these days?

At my school, you can't wear a hat...power mad? Nooooo. :rolleyes:

KoreBolteR said:

My old one is, I'm glad I got done with that place before the new head arrived.

KoreBolteR said:

My schools pretty wannabe-power-mad. :LOL:
They say they'll expel you for a number of ridiculous things (Walking on a balcony any time during the day, "physical contact" with another person etc) but they never do anything.

KoreBolteR said:

Aye, truely is power mad, not like in my day.

Back in my day if we so much as spoke we got a lash of the cat-o-nine tails from the Headmaster. But you see that's not power mad, because we were truely being taught manners.

He taught us about respect and discipline, not like today's schools, no wonder the youth of today are the way they are.

It makes me sick, I just want to walk into a school and start thrashing kids with a cane until they're black and blue.

kirovman said:
Time zone difference. After school would be late night in Iraq.

Moring would be during the working day.

Lunchtime at school was probably the best time for a call.

What about on a saturday or sunday?

Or later in the evening... they are 9 hours ahead of georgia, so he could have called her around 10 pm his time.

same with my school, we couldnt wear colourful coats, no hats, no caps.. and we had to have passports to go out for dinner ..:/..

this is where dinner-time break outs occurred. sometimes bieng punished with isolation and being burnt at the stake.

(jk at the 'burnt stake thingy') :p

Back