Student suspended for talking to his mother in Iraq

I'd probably side with the kid, but then I'm slightly biased... seeing as I almost got my phone (well, it was my mom's phone; I don't even have a cell phone) taken away during lunch once, and I was standing outside the school building. My school just takes it away for the day and charges you $10 to get it back. In my case, the guy gave it back and just made me read out the rules in front of a bunch of students as if I were in kindergarten :|. At least he didn't call me "illiterate" like this other guy did... but that's a different story. Anyways, people just resort to using cell phones in the restrooms now.

The cell phone thing would be more justified if it weren't for the fact that you can use the school's pay phones during lunch... which leads me to the conclusion that everything the school does revolves around money :dork:. Really, is there any difference between using the pay phones versus using a cell phone outside at lunch besides that one of them puts a few coins into the school's coffers?

spookymooky said:
Exactly, the kids just playing some kind of patriotic trump card to get out of a punishment.
Not true, that.

kirovman said:
Aye, truely is power mad, not like in my day.

Back in my day if we so much as spoke we got a lash of the cat-o-nine tails from the Headmaster. But you see that's not power mad, because we were truely being taught manners.

He taught us about respect and discipline, not like today's schools, no wonder the youth of today are the way they are.

It makes me sick, I just want to walk into a school and start thrashing kids with a cane until they're black and blue.
kirovman said:
I bet the people that said that never suffered the thrashing of the cane.

If they did, they would know the endowment of respect it brought :O

Kids are evil cunning little blighters... read Lord of the Flies, it's exactly right.
Oh yeah? Well, my NationState (The Republic of Really Hoopy Froods) is a safer place to visit, according to today's United Nations report. :p

KoreBolteR said:
wede be expelled if we brought a gun too school. probs
I'd be sent to the chair if I brought a gun to school. The kid's mom called the kid, not the other way round, the mother was in a WARZONE on the other side of the planet. If the school doesn't allow phone calls in school I doubt the military would be any less strict. I doubt there is cellphone coverage in Iraq, the kid's parent wouldn't exactly be able to whip out a cellphone and call her kid any time she wanted, phone access is probably a restricted privilege in Iraq, schooltime might have been the only time she was allowed to call her kids. And what kind of school bans cellphones? I'm sure it breaches the Geneva Human Rights Convention in some way or the other.

For the purposes of this Convention, torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

I'd suffer from severe depression if I were banned from using my phone, so that qualifies as as severe mental suffering.

JellyWorld said:
And what kind of school bans cellphones? I'm sure it breaches the Geneva Human Rights Convention in some way or the other.

I'd suffer from severe depression if I were banned from using my phone, so that qualifies as as severe mental suffering.

our school does. and it makes us wear uniforms.

also, a school is a goverment run detention facility. yuo can't disturb it. its illegal.

and, who needs the phone when you got teh internet?

and, the taking away of cellphones and grounding by parents MUST be torture!

lets send them all to prison!

(sarcastic)

hmm ive seen worse really. Who cares, sounds reasonable to me swearing at teachers, you gonna expect harsh punishment, sure suspension isn't the answer but oh well

JellyWorld said:
I'd be sent to the chair if I brought a gun to school. The kid's mom called the kid, not the other way round, the mother was in a WARZONE on the other side of the planet. If the school doesn't allow phone calls in school I doubt the military would be any less strict. I doubt there is cellphone coverage in Iraq, the kid's parent wouldn't exactly be able to whip out a cellphone and call her kid any time she wanted, phone access is probably a restricted privilege in Iraq, schooltime might have been the only time she was allowed to call her kids. And what kind of school bans cellphones? I'm sure it breaches the Geneva Human Rights Convention in some way or the other.

The school should have sorted this out. Evidently the kid was wrong. He probably did go off the deep end after being caught - I certainly would have - but to deny 'cursing' is just stupid, and to put teachers' judgement into question rather than the kids is absurd. The child in all likelihood probably did swear at the teacher.

This, however, does not warrant a 10 day suspension. Once the matter had been taken to the headteacher and the context of the situation confirmed, anyone with an iota of common sense would have simply called the suspension off, recognizing it as an extremely unusual situation that falls outside of the normal lines of school bureaucracy.

A final note - this should not be the subject of national media attention. If this is all it takes for the American media to get on their high horses, then you're all a bunch of pussies. And as for the bannage of cellphones in schools, it's damn sensible as the disruption in class would be ridiculous, and anyone of high school age who relies on a cellphone so much that to go without it would mean depression is simply ****in' lame.

jondyfun said:
A final note - this should not be the subject of national media attention. If this is all it takes for the American media to get on their high horses, then you're all a bunch of pussies.

Yep, you're right. Some people at CNN decided it was newsworthy so that makes all of us pussies .... :rolleyes:

ACLeroK212 said:
Yep, you're right. Some people at CNN decided it was newsworthy so that makes all of us pussies .... :rolleyes:

Heh, sorry, I'm off my soapbox :D But you have to admit this is a little trivial for the national media.

This is amazing. How could they suspend him after he told the headmaster/principal that it was his mother in Iraq? Cel phone have call logs, so they could have checked it and seen that that was indeed the most recent call and traced it. You can spoof call logs, but that takes time, which i am sure he did not have.

If my family was in a warzone and they called me i would pick up if i was in a class. I would also fight for the phone, even if it meant physical violence. People these days have no common sense.

This case reminds me of a thing he in California called the "Zero Tolerance Policy." Some kid got expelled for bringing a butter knife to school in his lunch. It was classed as a knife, and therefore as a deadly weapon. But if he brought a Kalashnikov to school, he would get the same punishment, plus a talking to by the police.

jondyfun said:
The school should have sorted this out. Evidently the kid was wrong. He probably did go off the deep end after being caught - I certainly would have - but to deny 'cursing' is just stupid, and to put teachers' judgement into question rather than the kids is absurd. The child in all likelihood probably did swear at the teacher.

This, however, does not warrant a 10 day suspension. Once the matter had been taken to the headteacher and the context of the situation confirmed, anyone with an iota of common sense would have simply called the suspension off, recognizing it as an extremely unusual situation that falls outside of the normal lines of school bureaucracy.

A final note - this should not be the subject of national media attention. If this is all it takes for the American media to get on their high horses, then you're all a bunch of pussies. And as for the bannage of cellphones in schools, it's damn sensible as the disruption in class would be ridiculous, and anyone of high school age who relies on a cellphone so much that to go without it would mean depression is simply ****in' lame.

jondyfun=smart

Back