Student Taserd for not having ID

That's not the full context. The full context is bliink's statement, followed by zlepplin's response, followed by stern's inane rambling, THEN my statement.

My point was that the stern's situation was completely off the wall. It was.
The idea that a moron would pull a weapon in a situation like that is not. Therefore, a library card incident could escalate to that point if the person did carry a weapon (fortunately he did not) and a taser, or worse, could be used.

Get it now?

as mechagodzilla so nicely pointed out your point is irrelevant. You have no basis to form such an opinion and it's mere speculation that has nothing to do with the justification to use force ...I thought I made it pretty obvious with my use of rediculous scenarios

Well, you guys win. After reading Bliinks post, the rest of you guy's posts and watching the video a couple times more, and sleeping on it...

I change my mind and think what they did was indeed a bit excessive.

I still dont think its bad enough to be considered brutality, but instead they simply used poor judgment to end the situation. I think that the initial tasing wasnt out of line, but I do now think that after that initial one it could have been handled without it again.

Let it never be said that I am uncompromising in my views!

And now, I am but left to wonder, for debating is at an end, and no more shall I read the arguments.

Such conciliation is rare, but certainly not unprecedented.

I love it when a flan comes together.

I was gonna call Krynn a traitor, but then I realized that he is not really a traitor. He was on Mechagodzilla's side all along. He pretended to be with us just "to prove" Mecha right when he conceaded defeat at the end of the argument. I don't care. Active resistance should be met with the use of force. The kid in that video was actively resisting detention and that's why he got tasered. Being loud and obsene is NOT passive resistance. Tensing your muscles so as to make it difficult for the officers to handcuff you is NOT passive resistance. Telling the officers not to touch him is NOT passive resistance. In my books, the officers are innocent until proven guilty and everything they did was right.

I was gonna call Krynn a traitor, but then I realized that he is not really a traitor. He was on Mechagodzilla's side all along. He pretended to be against us just "to prove" Mecha right when he conceaded defeat at the end of the argument.

lolololololololololol that almost made me ignore the second part of your post.

Active resistance should be met with the use of force. The kid in that video was actively resisting detention and that's why he got tasered. Being loud and obsene is NOT passive resistance. Tensing your muscles so as to make it difficult for the officers to handcuff you is NOT passive resistance. In my books, the officers are innocent until proven guilty.

I concur.

I was gonna call Krynn a traitor, but then I realized that he is not really a traitor. He was on Mechagodzilla's side all along. He pretended to be against us just "to prove" Mecha right when he conceaded defeat at the end of the argument.

Made me laugh my ass off.

And Numbers should be dismissed on the grounds that he's Numbers.

ACtually to be honest, I don't care much. He was being hysteric, got tasered. swore, got tasered again. He didn't die, nor get permanently disabled for the rest of his life. No biggie. Oh, of course, using the golden rule, I'd be pretty angry if I got tasered, but then again, I wouldn't be acting like that in the first place, would I? Would you?

What I saw was a pathetic guy throwing a tamper tantrum like a 4 year old.

Numbers, I think one day you need to have the crap beaten out of you. Nothing too serious. Nothing life-threatening. Nothing that will last you until the end of your days. But incredibly painful.

And I don't say that with some kind of malicious intent. I just think it would help you recognize the kind whoreshit you exude.

Numbers, I think one day you need to have the crap beaten out of you. Nothing too serious. Nothing life-threatening. Nothing that will last you for your life. But incredibly painful.

For what reason?

And I don't say that with some kind of malicious intent. I just think it would help you recognize the kind whoreshit you exude.

Well, enlighten me.

So you can actually experience the "trivial" abuse and oppression you have a hard-on for.

The problem is, I wouldn't be doing anything that'd require an officer to use a baton on me. Therfore it is irrevelent wether I experience it or not.

So you can actually experience the "trivial" abuse and oppression you have a hard-on for.

Cops are tasered before they are given a taser, at least according to Hapless. Not for that reason do they stop using their tasers, or do they?

The problem is, I wouldn't be doing anything that'd require an officer to use a baton on me. Therfore it is irrevelent wether I experience it or not.

Ah, you're entirely correct. Thank you for reminding me that I'm talking to a sheep.

I do not understand your statement.

He meant to say that you would not allow yourself to be put in that situation because you follow orders like a sheep. In other words, disobeying police officers is the right thing to do.

Well, cops are tasered before they are given a taser, by Hapless' own admission. Not for that reason do they stop using their tasers, or do they?

And by the admission of many (my family happens to be loaded with members of law enforcement), it is not a light matter. Tasers are not frivolous toys. The point of officers being tased is to familiarize themselves with the force they'd be employing. I highly doubt the purpose is to have them walking away thinking "only pussies can't take it".

He meant to say that you would not allow yourself to be put in that situation because you follow orders like a sheep. In other words, disobeying police officers is the right thing to do.

Ah, interesting.

Breaking democratically established laws on purpose, is that not an immoral thing to do?

Tasers are not frivolous toys.

Well, I concur. I'd rather have the police carry net guns.

I change my mind also.

In retrospect, they should have tased him. What if he had been a terrorist? He was already from the middle east. How do they know he did not have a gun? Really, would someone whos innocently doing some work forget their libary card? I doubt it, the only explanation for it is that he was planning a bomb attack and in all the excitement he forgot his card. It is a realistic scenario, anybody could have a gun or worse in modernday America, you just don't know!! That is why the police should taze ANYONE, we cannot afford to take ristakes with the terrorists and all. In fact, on principle I'm going to the police station and demand I be tazed in case I am a terrorist!

9/11!!!!!

Ah, interesting.

Breaking democratically established laws on purpose, is that not an immoral thing to do?

Democracy is not intrinsically tied to morality. A person needs to critically evaluate the reasoning and purpose of laws individually.

You do no such thing. You blindly support any kind of authoritarianism purely on the basis of legality without spending two seconds thinking of what dictated such legal status in the first place. It's not the only area in which you display this mentality. Patriotism is another. Your entire justification for these things boils down to "Just because".

Democracy is not intrinsically tied to morality. A person needs to critically evaluate the reasoning and purpose of laws individually.

Yeeesssss..... wait what? Are you trying to demean the greatness of democracy?

You do no such thing. You blindly support any kind of authoritarianism purely on the basis of legality without spending two seconds thinking of what dictated such legal status in the first place.

And that basis of legality, comes in that

a) It was passed by a democratically elected party of repressentitives.

or

b) It is not Constitutionally invalid, and also brings benefit to the entire nation.

It's not the only area in which you display this mentality. Patriotism is another. Your entire justification for these things boils down to "Just because".

What things? Loyalty? Loyalty to the nation is important, for the nation is the sprit of the people, the honor of your ancestors, and you are indeed lucky to be in such a great nation. It is also the entire whole of society, and everything it stands for, things such as equality and freedom, or perhaps even the glory of the homeland. It is right in that sense.

Numbers, I think one day you need to have the crap beaten out of you. Nothing too serious. Nothing life-threatening. Nothing that will last you until the end of your days. But incredibly painful.

a what's the frequency kenneth type beating? or something more politically motivated?

being somewhat of a pacifist (who wouldnt hesitate to knock someone's teeth out if the situation should call for it) I'd prefer Numbers get out and see the real world (shake off some of that hardwired programming)...but yes, sometimes beatings do have immediate results

disclaimer: I'm not advocating any violent acts on Numbers, he's kinda endearing in a fascist totalitairian but loveable sort of way

I was gonna call Krynn a traitor, but then I realized that he is not really a traitor. He was on Mechagodzilla's side all along. He pretended to be with us just "to prove" Mecha right when he conceaded defeat at the end of the argument.

I wasnt on anyones side ever. Not yours, not Mecha. I was and still am stating MY observations on the situation as I see it. I still disagree with many of the things Mecha said.

And numbers... your government must love you. Your such a tool. You do everything they say just because they want you to. We arnt saying you need to disregard law, but when that law is Unjust or Unjustly enforced then people need to stand up against it. If not then the very essence of a Democracy is lost. Representatives dont always vote for what the people actually want, and when this happens people need to let the government know that.

Of course the situation in this thread isnt one of those cases, and the kid should have just left when the officers told him too. However, thats not what is being discussed because we call agree on that.

FATAL ERROR 172: CANNOT PRODUCE COUNTER ARGUMENT FOR LACK OF ENERGY. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Ok, I shall now remove myself from this thread.

*runs away*

oh dont take it too personally ..we all have e-peniseses (penii) ..I'm sure most of us here deserve a beating or two on occasion (of couse I'm the exception to the rule ... /cracks knuckles )

Oh noes! I scared away numbers!!! Im sorry! come back!

*hides from Stern and his knuckle cracking*

I don't like the manner in which this student reacted to the officers' requests for the following reason. If I were to be singled out because of my race or for some other unfair reason, I would conceal my contempt towards my aggressors and keep my composure at all times because otherwise I'd be shifting the power to them. When I am treated unfairly, I act as the gentleman that I am. I keep my poise and show the aggressor that I am a man of great character. I don't let him influence my emotions. I am in control of my emotions. If I let the aggressor manipulate my emotions, he wins. They would then get what they want, a reaction, but I am not giving it to them. It's all about power, and I refuse to give it to them. Act humble and your aggressor will feel like a dunce for mistreating you in the first place. That's passive resistance right along with Gandhi's teachings. Not yelling and screaming like a 4 year old. It's a shame that this guy had to act like the idiot that he is. A wise person should be in control of his emotions at all times.

So he deserves to get tasered because he's an idiot.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

So he deserves to get tasered because he's an idiot.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

Then you need to listen to what you say:

Absinthe said:

There's a difference between unjustly attacking someone for being an idiot and hoping that someone gets unjustly attacked because they support unjust attacks.

One is ironic, the other is stupid.

There's a difference between unjustly attacking someone for being an idiot and hoping that someone gets unjustly attacked because they support unjust attacks.

One is ironic, the other is stupid.

Being an idiot is one thing. Acting like an idiot is another thing.

Back