Take Two Sues Jack Thompson

G-Dub

Tank
Reaction score
This week, Take Two took a proactive step to stave off Thompson's prerelease assaults on their titles by filing a federal court case against him in the state of Florida.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ues-jack-thompson-over-nuisance-lawsuits.html

Despite his failure to win a restraining order against the T-rated game Bully, Jack Thompson has not stopped pursuing Take Two, the game's distributor. This week, Take Two took a proactive step to stave off Thompson's prerelease assaults on their titles by filing a federal court case against him in the state of Florida.

Take Two plans to release Manhunt 2 and Grand Theft Auto IV later this year, and they would love nothing more than to avoid another Thompson lawsuit. After Thompson made public statements about his intent to block both games from being released, the company asked a judge to "enjoin him from bringing suit on behalf of the State of Florida to enjoin the sale of GTA IV or Manhunt 2."

Take Two claims that Thompson is misusing Florida's "nuisance" law, and they point out that attempts to regulate the sale of violent video games have repeatedly faltered, including cases in which the law was drafted by Thompson himself.

According to a copy of the complaint seen by Ars Technica, Take Two has just about had it with Thompson's threats, lawsuits, retractions, and dismissals. Thompson has, in the past, "brought suit on behalf of the State of Florida, dismissed it, filed again, sought a temporary restraining order, and then failed to pursue that motion," says the complaint. Such lawsuits come at "unpredictable times and under unpredictable circumstances" and can disrupt Take Two's relationships with retailers, who can also get dragged into these battles (Thompson at one point sued Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, GameStop, and others in the battle over Bully).

Take Two argues that the lawsuits violate its First Amendment rights to free expression, but it also claims that the suits are so vague as to be unconstitutional. "This unconstitutional vagueness will have a chilling effect on Plaintiff as well as Plaintiff's customers," says the company. "Plaintiff's distributors likely will respond to the uncertainty and fear of penalties by withholding Plaintiff's video games from the public."

Take Two asks that Thompson be prevented from bringing a "nuisance" lawsuit against either of the games in question, and they want attorneys' fees from him.

The hunter becomes the hunted.

And the original hunter never really was that successful at being a hunter anyways.

It's about time he gets sued, he should probably be sued for more than attorney fees considering other potential damages to the company & it's stock holders. He should also be sued for harassment.

I totally agree, he is a nuisance and a ****ing pest!

+10 reputation points to Take Two.

For goodness sake, they've just done a huge mission. They don't want +Reputation, they want cold, hard cash to spend on property and weapons.

It was only a matter of time. Let's see how he reacts!

*Waits for the inevitable explosion*

Jack Thompson strikes back!

Jack Thompson said:
Thompson contacted Ars Technica with a response to the suit, and because we wouldn't want to be unfair, here it is in its entirety:

Heads-Up to Video Game Industry Press Re Take-Two Lawsuit Against Jack Thompson

Dear Gamers and Gamer Publications on the Internet and Elsewhere:

I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid, so arrogant, so dumb, even dumber than what they have to date done, that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two. With the filing of this SLAPP lawsuit last week, my prayers are finally answered.

This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law--while in continuous good standing to do so with The Florida Bar, I might add, the shock radio and video game industry's efforts notwithstanding.

I encourage folks to read Psalm 35, a Psalm of David, which is brilliant in its entirety (since God Himself wrote it), but for those who don't own a Bible or who think their hands will catch on fire if they touch one, here is the salient portion that applies to this lawsuit:

7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit,
which without cause they have digged for my soul.

8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares;
and let his net that he hath hid catch himself:
into that very destruction let him fall.

9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD:
it shall rejoice in his salvation.

The pit Take-Two has dug for itself will be patently clear next week when I strike back. Oh, and by the way, the entire Take-Two management and board will be gone on March 23, so this pit-digging comes at a very bad time indeed.

Amen, and Praise be to God Almighty, maker of Heaven, Earth, and yes, the maker even video games. Jack Thompson

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/03/17/jack-thompson-responds-to-the-take-two-lawsuit

1. What's he smoking?
2. This sounds like another person spouting religious nonsense in an attempt to look important and intelligent (which it doesn't, he sounds like a JACKASS)

This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law
Doesn't look in the mirror very often I gather...

The hunter becomes the hunted.

And the original hunter never really was that successful at being a hunter anyways.

elmer_fudd.jpg

"Be vewwy vewwy qwiet, I'm hunting games!"

he actually quoted the bible?!

isn't that like an Instant-lose type of thing (and if not, he's setting a wonderful precedence.)

1. What's he smoking?
2. This sounds like another person spouting religious nonsense in an attempt to look important and intelligent (which it doesn't, he sounds like a JACKASS)

Rofl, that and the fact he said God himself wrote Psalm, but anyone religous person knows that God only told people what to write, and they wrote it. (If you believe in the bible that it. I personaly don't)

I'm still shocked at his response. I didn't know they made them that stupid any more. His very existence enrages me.

This just might eclipse the releases of Year Zero, HL2 Episode 2, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, GTA4, Manhunt 2, Halo 3, and the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie combined.

It's like that story where the dude uses a turkey call and gets eaten by a mountain lion.

Okay, what the fvck was that supposed to be? I'll just quote Laivasse instead of typing out my opinion (incomprehension; anger).

I'm still shocked at his response. I didn't know they made them that stupid any more. His very existence enrages me.

jack_thompson.jpg

- I'M GOING TO DESTROY TAKE TWOOO WITH MYY MIIIIND RAAAWRGH

:D It's about time something happened to stop this guy. The video game companies must be about 100x how irritated we are when it comes to this guy *head explodes when trying to fathom 100x the internet's level of irritability*

or who think their hands will catch on fire if they touch one

WTF? o_O

:D It's about time something happened to stop this guy. The video game companies must be about 100x how irritated we are when it comes to this guy *head explodes when trying to fathom 100x the internet's level of irritability*

WTF? o_O

I personally think me and everybody around me will catch fire if I touch a bible.

Back