Team Fortress 2 Polycount Pack winners announced.

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
1279228928_polycount_winners.jpg
[br]The winners of the long running Polycount Pack Contest have now been announced. The main goal of the contest was to get more community made items and hats put into the game, with the winners getting a special pin and other goodies for their efforts. The list of winners is as follows:[br]
  • The Gasman (Pyro)
  • Tank Buster (Soldier)
  • Special Delivery (Scout)
  • Croc-o-style (Sniper)
  • Saharan Spy (Spy)
[br]The release date for the Pack has yet to have been announced, but should be on it's way soon. You can view the full blog post here, and see the contest page here.

I'm a pretty big Team Fortress 2 fan, but the items being added to the game keep getting worse. These Polycount items don't impress me. I'm starting to turn into one of those people who want some vanilla console commands. :S

The Steam forums are in another self-righteous uproar over the winners, and the the Spy pack in particular for some reason. Personally I think all of the entries are excellent, especially the Tankbuster, I can't wait to see what stats they apply to these new weapons. I have to admit though I was saddened to see that the Medic wouldn't be receiving any new kit.

Every update, same thing...
"No, this is stupid, im quitting TF2"
"No, stupid items, im not playing with them"
"Oh you're using them, but they're so overpowered and not fair!"
"Oh well, since I got a drop, i might as well try it"
"Oh sweet, Im getting kills with the new stuff"
"Cool items, Valve rocks."
"New update? Stupid items, in quitting TF2!"

The more items that are added the better imo. Allows for great customization.

I like 'em! ...especially the sniper/croc stuff - fits perfectly!

I'm really surprised tank buster won. Aside from the hat, none of the items seem to fit TF2's aesthetic.

I was surprised at the Tank Buster too. I'm not a massive fan of the rocket launcher, but I like the backback/radio.

Not a fan of the tank buster or the crocodile costume.

Not sure whether it's worth waiting for the pack to be released before I craft my refined metals.

TF2 became too... complicated for me. I played a bit when it was released but it wasn't really my cup of tea. Still I played occasionally. But then the additional toys started coming out which from what I get you had some random chance to get while playing the game (my friend even set up some bot to pump up the playing hours for him, which apparently increased his chance of getting the new stuff) and I just felt overwhelmed by this somehow.

Yeah, some of these weapons look out of place in the TF2 environment. I really appreciate the effort, but I can't believe that style wasn't a major focal point in the design of most of these weapons.

For example: The "tank-buster" is too blocky for TF2's setting. It's just a touch too modern for my likes. In fact, the soldier pack has waaay too many blacks and greys, and the shapes seem to be very blocky.

I think the spy's weapon pack actually complies the most with TF2's style, but the glasses on the Fez hat should have been less sleek, and something more "retro," like aviators or wayfarers. Something Sean Connery's Bond would have worn.

I feel like things could have been a little bit more creative. The tank buster, while a nice looking weapon in general, could have looked more interesting.

I'm also wondering why the hell the sniper is getting another damn blade. He already has the kukri, AND the tribalman's shiv; why not design him a damn boomerang? Also, the scout getting a melee-fish is funny, but seriously? Why not, I dunno, a vintage wooden tennis racket with barbed-wire strings?

I agree with Lense. He makes some good valid points. Unfortunately a lot of the style has already been lost.

TF2 became too... complicated for me. I played a bit when it was released but it wasn't really my cup of tea. Still I played occasionally. But then the additional toys started coming out which from what I get you had some random chance to get while playing the game (my friend even set up some bot to pump up the playing hours for him, which apparently increased his chance of getting the new stuff) and I just felt overwhelmed by this somehow.

Same here, over the past year and a half or so, my time for gaming has practically nonexistent, and it's amazing how many changes have been made to the game since I last got to seriously play it. I'm actually a little apprehensive to try it anymore, because I don't want to be confused by all the new stuff and have been hiding out on the 360 for a while v:

Same here, over the past year and a half or so, my time for gaming has practically nonexistent, and it's amazing how many changes have been made to the game since I last got to seriously play it. I'm actually a little apprehensive to try it anymore, because I don't want to be confused by all the new stuff and have been hiding out on the 360 for a while v:

I was showing my brother-in-law around crafting yesterday; he's been playing for a while, but hasn't used it. I was surprised how unobvious it actually was. Took someone who hadn't used it before to realise that. Even the drop system required a bit of explaining.

Other than that, some of the unlocks really are worth playing for.

The Spy and Scout packs were stupid as hell. There were 2 other Spy packs that were much better in quality and the Suburban pack for the Scout beats the hell out of the one they chose. A newspaper with a lead pipe? A shotgun made of motorcycle parts? That's awesome.

I was showing my brother-in-law around crafting yesterday; he's been playing for a while, but hasn't used it. I was surprised how unobvious it actually was. Took someone who hadn't used it before to realise that. Even the drop system required a bit of explaining.

Other than that, some of the unlocks really are worth playing for.

Crafting? Drop system? What the hell?

The last time I played was right before they started giving new weapons to the classes. So pretty much vanilla TF2 as it was released.

I can't wait to not get these new hats.

They look awesome and never unlocking them will really boost the TF2 experience for me.

The Spy and Scout packs were stupid as hell. There were 2 other Spy packs that were much better in quality and the Suburban pack for the Scout beats the hell out of the one they chose. A newspaper with a lead pipe? A shotgun made of motorcycle parts? That's awesome.

Ya really tho

I like Walker's Extreme Mountain of Hat.

I was going to enter the mapping contest but it's hard to get enthusiastic about detailing a map you didn't make yourself, at least for me. I need to be able to follow through from concept to completion, I can't just do one part, it all needs to be one cohesive thought.

Anyway I look forward to see what people come up with, I'm sure everyone will be disappointed with the winner.

Back