Team Fortress 2 Update...with hats

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
A new update has just been released for Team Fortress 2 with some interesting changes
  • Reworked the character loadout screens to support future features
  • Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned
  • Added the ability for players to reset their player stats using the Reset Stats button on the Stats menu. This does not reset achievements
  • Added a "player_teleported" game event that is sent when a player is teleported
  • Updated cp_junction_final to score per-capture instead of per-round. This fixes the map not working correctly with Tournament mode and the stopwatch
  • Scouts now drop the flag if they're carrying it when they start phasing
Good to see some extra options for stats in there. But the new backpack menu is all unknown territory still. Deleted items? What could these be?[br]Forum member Sliver has taken an early peek and found a 'headwear' section for each class. There is a variety such as a Sniper's hat + toothbelt, Engineer's miner helmet, Scout's batting helmet, or the Demoman's afro! See the full changelist here.[br]

newsspacer.gif

Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned

How is this smart?
Or usefull?

I'm gonna delete the flaregun 1st chance I get.

Pity you can't do it with old weapons like the bonesaw or 1st needlegun.

Also awesome glitch FTW (that was quick!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8GiCieSDw

Maybe this is all just for the new game mode, and the rest of the game will be the same?

Or if you delete a weapon you can get it back by killing somone else who has it?

We don't know what system is going to be put in place, so it doesn't make much sense at the moment. But I'm sure when we are more clued in, it will be fairly logical...

Like... umm... huh? Maybe Valve is using it as a dare.

"You don't like Natascha, eh bitches? Then go ahead and delete it. Go on..."

Maybe it's because of all these new "hats". Maybe you can only carry one hat, but there is more than one. So you have to delete one to get another?

Haha, as much as i'd love to steal others hats and wear them, deleting sounds fishy.

You can all thank me...I sent them a Steam Support message asking them to reset mine :p

Just deleted backburner. Feels good. Hated that thing since day one. I remember taking on BBpyros 1v1 ,me being ABpyro, and it took some serious skill to take them out, especially with their stupid +50HP addon.
Just to get it straight,using airblast on ubers is lame, but u get to choose if u want to be a bitch or not,while with BB u know.... it just happens on its own.

K, they're basically turning the current unlock model into a kind of trading system, whereby you giveaway items to friends that don't have them.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844698

2v8sqi9.jpg

4lrhv8.jpg

They're also doing something with item leveling, to the degree of items getting better as you progress (one assumes). I always thought the item-level thing was odd.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720

Code:
"EquipYourClass" "EQUIP YOUR %loadoutclass%"
"Equip" "EQUIP"
"Keep" "KEEP"
"ClassBeingEquipped" "%loadoutclass%"
"ChangeButton" "CHANGE..."
"DoneButton" "DONE!"
"EquipSelectedWeapon" "EQUIP SELECTED WEAPON"
"ItemSel_PRIMARY" "- PRIMARY WEAPON"
"ItemSel_SECONDARY" "- SECONDARY WEAPON"
"ItemSel_MELEE" "- MELEE WEAPON"
"ItemSel_PDA" "- PDA"
"ItemSel_ITEM1" "- ACCESSORY"
"ItemSel_HEAD" "- HEADWEAR"
"TF_BackCarat" "<< BACK"
"TF_CancelCarat" "<< CANCEL"
"TF_BackToMainMenu" "<< BACK TO MAIN MENU"
"TF_ResumeGame" "<< RESUME GAME"
"InventoryCountOne" "(1 OTHER IN INVENTORY)"
"InventoryCountMany" "(%s1 OTHERS IN INVENTORY)"

// Attribute descriptions
"Attrib_ClipSize_Positive" "+%s1% Clip size"
"Attrib_ClipSize_Negative" "%s1% Clip size"
"Attrib_UberchargeRate_Positive" "+%s1% ÜberCharge rate"
"Attrib_UberchargeRate_Negative" "%s1% ÜberCharge rate"
"Attrib_DamageDone_Positive" "+%s1% Damage done"
"Attrib_DamageDone_Negative" "%s1% Damage done"
"Attrib_HealRate_Positive" "+%s1% Heal rate"
"Attrib_HealRate_Negative" "%s1% Heal rate"
"Attrib_FireRate_Positive" "+%s1% Faster firing speed"
"Attrib_FireRate_Negative" "%s1% Slower firing speed"
"Attrib_OverhealAmount_Positive" "+%s1% Overheal bonus"
"Attrib_OverhealDecay_Disabled" "Overheal bonus doesn't decay"
"Attrib_OverhealDecay_Positive" "Overheal bonus decays %s1% slower"
"Attrib_OverhealDecay_Negative" "Overheal bonus decays %s1% faster"
"Attrib_HealOnHit_Positive" "+%s1 Health on hit"
"Attrib_HealOnHit_Negative" "%s1 Health on hit"

etc

Team Diablo 2?

EDIT: Rage, way to steal my post Sham.

And damnit Kotaku.

No, I'm not liking the sound of any of this.
Levelling?

This had better be a game mode that is completely switched off when you play 'normal' Team Fortress 2.

Okay, maybe it has the positives of letting more casual players get access to the unlocks they never had time for, but the rest seems like a total gimmick. If the only way Valve can keep people playing TF2 is to resort to an RPG mod, I don't have high hopes for its future.

For me one of the greatest assets of TF2 was it's deceiving simplicity, it's lack of clutter as opposed to other games. Whilst I applaud them for evolving the game constantly, I for one will always prefer its vanilla release version.

Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned
I read about this the other day on a different board known for trolls, so I didn't pay attention to it. I thought it was just another "hurr durr valve's a shit company with poor game design," fake news troll. But that guy was right.

Holy fuck Valve really DOESN'T know what they're doing.

itt everyone is a crybaby

Holy fuck Valve really DOESN'T know what they're doing.
It's looking depressingly like ^this.

If Valve want to experiment with this kind of crap then why don't they just make their own MMO? It would probably be a cash cow for them, and they could work all this whimsy out of their system without giving TF2 schizophrenia.

what's up with this delete button? Isn't it quite dangerous? Why would we want to delete something? Will we get new items, but won't have enough space for all of them? If so, Valve is going to burn in hell with complaints...

What the crap? This could ruin the item system!

I for one and very interested in seeing how this goes. To me it looks like classes are going to be getting slightly customised weapons.

Random drops from enemies. Helmets have stat bonuses. Weapons have levels with stat bonuses.

But forget about all that. What you should all be talking about is this:

1240330886130.png

Fourth from the left. Do you remember whose grenade that is? Do you remember the combo it was used for? No, no I don't imagine that most of you would remember. I know a lot of people on this forum only played TF2, and not TFC.

That grenade...well. I hope you enjoyed whatever balance you had in TF2, because it's over now.

No one has ever defeated the scissor.

Random drops from enemies. Helmets have stat bonuses. Weapons have levels with stat bonuses.

1240330886130.png

Fourth from the left. Do you remember whose grenade that is? Do you remember the combo it was used for? No, no I don't imagine that most of you would remember. I know a lot of people on this forum only played TF2, and not TFC.

That grenade...well. I hope you enjoyed whatever balance you had in TF2, because it's over now.

Grenades sucks! the Demo already has a "grenade launcher" why would we be interested in everyone gets nades? On the other hand, Valve has never disapointed me with their ideas, so I hope that it will be that way forever

Valve's never disappointed with their ideas because whatever they release people just gobble up and hail as the best thing ever. No one's willing to look this in the face and say, "Holy shit, bad ideas. Stop playing WoW and applying it to TF2, Gabe." Random drops and tiered weapons? Come on. Shitty ideas are shitty.

"I discarded the regular flamethrower for a flamethrower that carries less ammo but has a 2% bonus in damage. Plus my helmet reduces my atk speed but also increases damage. And these Boots of Swift Action cut my reload time in half! I'm a level 80 Pyro!"

And I sincerely look forward to people ACTUALLY trying to justify THAT grenade being in there. Not even the MIRV was as punishing as the regular frag grenade in a soldier's hands. You just watch. Coupled with the soldier's "Helmet of Sun Tzu," which grants him a +12% crit on his rockets and he uses his grenade slot to carry that friggin' frag grenade around.

It's going to be Soldier Fortress Classic all over again, and casuals are going to cry

some more

Valve's never disappointed with their ideas because whatever they release people just gobble up and hail as the best thing ever. No one's willing to look this in the face and say, "Holy shit, bad ideas. Stop playing WoW and applying it to TF2, Gabe." Random drops and tiered weapons? Come on. Shitty ideas are shitty.

"I discarded the regular flamethrower for a flamethrower that carries less ammo but has a 2% bonus in damage. Plus my helmet reduces my atk speed but also increases damage. And these Boots of Swift Action cut my reload time in half! I'm a level 80 Pyro!"

And I sincerely look forward to people ACTUALLY trying to justify THAT grenade being in there. Not even the MIRV was as punishing as the regular frag grenade in a soldier's hands. You just watch. Coupled with the soldier's "Helmet of Sun Tzu," which grants him a +12% crit on his rockets and he uses his grenade slot to carry that friggin' frag grenade around.

It's going to be Soldier Fortress Classic all over again, and casuals are going to cry

some more

/agree
BUT at this moment we do not know anything for sure. I will not hail valve if I find what they release meh, but Ill give them a chance because they have never TO THIS DATE disapointed me (maybe except going Valvetime instead of GMT)

1240330886130.png

I'm pretty sure those have been there since tf2 came out. I think they're just left over from before they took nades out.

Back