Team Fortress 2 Weekend Update: Arts and Craft

FishBulb

Staff member
Reaction score
[br]​
Another day, another update on the TF2 blog! The biggest change comes in the form of the ability to craft new weapons. How's this going to work, you ask? Well, looks like that inventory system is going to be useful for more than just storing that 15th Kritzkrieg you picked up.[br]
EVERYTHING in your inventory now contributes towards something you actually WANT, and can build YOURSELF! If you?re super clever, you?ll even be able to craft new items before others can earn them the old fashioned way.
With the inclusion of blueprints to help things along, players can choose to follow them or just start smelting together whatever weapons they have and hope for the best. For more details, go here.[br]Exciting? But wait, there's more! A casualty update and a Saxton Hale comic to whet your appetite. And even more to come in the upcoming week, so stay tuned!

OMG THEY ARE TRYING TO BE LIKE RISEN AND DRAGON AGE WTF VALVE U GUISE STOP RIPPING OFF RPGS TO MAKE YOUR OWN RPSSSSSSSSSSG

Oh my God, this is the greatest update I've ever seen in my life! :O

... Hey look its the Engineer... think the Engineer update will follow sooner rather than later...?

Is it too much to hope for a new "Meet the..." video, too?

Damn its a nice Christmas this year.

Introducing Team Fortress 2’s new Crafting system. Say goodbye to those enjoyable evenings spent complaining on the forums about which item in your inventory was the most useless, spraying anti-Australian racist hate speech all over Robin Walker, his lovely wife, and his beautiful children. EVERYTHING in your inventory now contributes towards something you actually WANT, and can build YOURSELF! If you’re super clever, you’ll even be able to craft new items before others can earn them the old fashioned way.

I loled so hard when i read that bit in bold. :LOL:

oh and with the blue prints, i bet you will have to find the blue prints first :p Hence the use of "known blueprints"

I wonder if there is a Saxton Hale in-game model...

This has the potential to be mind-blowingly awesome or life-changingly disastrous.

I wonder...

Batter's helmet + BONK! + BONK! = Bonk Helmet?

Do they mean just like putting together extra weapons might give you some regular unlockable?

So where will we have to grind to get our crafting skills up?

Do they mean just like putting together extra weapons might give you some regular unlockable?

I'd say so. I was hoping we could assemble custom weapons with different parts of each gun, but that would be hard to do.

Let's suppose I reinstall TF2 after one year and a half, when I was playing vanilla. Will I be able to play it again without feeling lost in all these RPGish updates?

Since when customizing your class is considered "RPGish"? And no, you shouldn't feel lost, those new updates are very easy to get a grip on.

Also, about the update, there's a hidden page in the comic.

Since when customizing your class is considered "RPGish"?

When I was playing TF2, a long time ago, I was basing my (poor) skills on the fact that a demoman, an engineer, a soldier and so on were the same for everyone. I never played a character with "updates". All I have is the feeling that too much diversity could confuse unskilled players, enlarging the gap between habitual and casual players like me.

What I want to know is, why is Valve picking on Fred Astaire?

When I was playing TF2, a long time ago, I was basing my (poor) skills on the fact that a demoman, an engineer, a soldier and so on were the same for everyone. I never played a character with "updates". All I have is the feeling that too much diversity could confuse unskilled players, enlarging the gap between habitual and casual players like me.

I for one stopped playing TF2 when they introduced all those weapons. I enjoyed TF2 the way it was when it first came out, simple.

Vladimir Bananas!

I'm hoping the Crafting system is a bit more complex than being able to make items you don't have out of items you have duplicates of. Even if it's something along the lines of unique hats only available by crafting.

Or maybe it'll just be introduced in this update, but the next updates after the Engineer one will be a Crafting update giving another new weapon to each class only available by Crafting.

What I want to know is, why is Valve picking on Fred Astaire?

Because he is dressed up like a million dollar trouper.
Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper. You know...dem fancy kind.

This update sounds good, especially since my entire backpack is almost full, except for about seven spaces. I can see why people are thinking that Team Fortress 2 is becoming more like a role-playing game, seeing as you can pick your own class and make your own weapons, but it's still Team Fortress 2, a class-based multiplayer game. I don't think it will ever turn into a RPG game, but VALVe has the potential of creating one if it wanted to. We will see, we will see.

I just went back to playing it after not playing it since spring 07. Was pleasantly surprised. Didn't dominate but didn't suck it up either, I stayed in the top 5 the whole match.
I for one stopped playing TF2 when they introduced all those weapons. I enjoyed TF2 the way it was when it first came out, simple.
It's still simple, you can really ignore all the new features, grab a pyro and run around setting shit on fire. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

You can play with just the base weapons if you want. Offhand, the only difference I can think of (since the release of the game) is the addition of the Pyro's airblast. Some of the newer achievements need the new weapons, not a big deal.

All these new updates almost make me want to pick TF2 up again...I haven't touched it since just before the sniper/spy update and all the hat stuff.

I bet the medic is gonna get a "Novelty Defibrillator" that can revive fallen teammates aka BF2.

Vladimir Bananas!

340x.jpg

When I read the comic, the Arts & Craft article and the little tidbit about Poopy Joe this morning, I laughed my ass off. It was a good way to start the day.

Really looking forward to this one, better than a trading system in Valve's mind?

Lemme get this straight - the system works like this , for example if we combine the Blutsauger and the Kritzkrieg , we will get a .... Bluttzkireg ?

From the "'Primary' + 'Primary' + 'Primary' = 'Useful Scrap Metal'" it seems as though we'll need a certain amount of scrap metal then a special component from something.

No sunday update?

They seem to be one day late. They announced the Saturday update on Sunday for some reason, so they will probably announce the Sunday update today.

Hmmm, I kept my inventory duplicate free the last couple of months. I have the feeling Valve is f***ing with us, but I guess I better keep all my drops from now on again.

Back