Terra Nova - Dinosaurs, time travel, and that crazy Colonel from Avatar... Oh my!

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
K785m.jpg

Terra Nova is a television series in development with Fox Studios by Steven Spielberg. It has been described as "Land of the Lost, but fancy." Brannon Braga (Star Trek, Flash Forward and 24) will serve as show-runner while Spielberg will Executive Produce with Peter Chernin. The series is being written by Craig Silverstein and Kelly Marcel.
The story follows the story of the Shannon family, who live in an apocalyptic Earth. Set in the year 2149, a large group of settlers are preparing to leave the apocalyptic world they live in to time travel back millions of years via a massive, high-tech contraption. Their goal is to see trees, enjoy a blue sky, eat real food – basically, to start over in this so-called Eden. But what they find is unlike anything they were expecting.

Premieres tonight on FOX with a 2 hour pilot.
I'm somewhat intrigued but my hopes aren't high just because it's most likely going to be extremely by the numbers in nearly every aspect.

But, DINOSAURS.

Bitches ain't got nothin' on the Pliocene Exiles.

The premise itself should be enough to attract viewers, but unless they make some interesting characters to place in that setting, it's not gonna remain interesting for very long. And that trailer didn't convince me on that point.

I guess there will be few dinosaurs due to budget constrainst and the show will be more about the "relationships" beetwen characters so will be 70% people arguin in the safe base,aslo at the end of the season everything is shown to be a experiment made in some techno simulation stuff and the simulation is deemed a failure cuz "humanity is not ready" or something like that

I guess there will be few dinosaurs due to budget constrainst and the show will be more about the "relationships" beetwen characters so will be 70% people arguin in the safe base.

Ugh, I hope not. The dinos are the only reason I'm considering watching this show. If this turns out to be another "Lost" where the emphasis is on the character drama, then I'm not interested.

I guess there will be few dinosaurs due to budget constrainst and the show will be more about the "relationships" beetwen characters so will be 70% people arguin in the safe base,aslo at the end of the season everything is shown to be a experiment made in some techno simulation stuff and the simulation is deemed a failure cuz "humanity is not ready" or something like that

watbird.jpg

Literally my reaction to anything you ever say.

Attachments

• watbird.jpg
    watbird.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 431
I'm going to watch this, and then I'll probably put on Jurrasic Park to get rid of the bad taste.

If it doesn't suck, I'll be happy, and probably watch Jurrasic Park anyways because I've been thinking about watching it again anyways.

Also, their armored transports look like closed topped Sd Kfz 251/1 Ausf C half-tracks, so their art direction is right down my alley.

I think I'll just skip this and watch Jurassic Park.

Ugh, I hope not. The dinos are the only reason I'm considering watching this show. If this turns out to be another "Lost" where the emphasis is on the character drama, then I'm not interested.

Same with me, really.
From that promo... the acting is iffy and the drama is going to be annoying and corny as hell... but DINOSAURS!

Atleast Lost managed to have fairly good drama.

Watching it now, seems cool but I'll have to post my thoughts about it soon

Well, that wasn't absolutely terrible.

Atleast there's more to it than what the promos showed and the effects are pretty damn good for a TV show.
The acting was definitely spotty though.

It was good but not like LOST good or other similar shows. I think I'll watch the next episode next week but it could have been better. Also I'm guessing it'll be a two season show

Just watched the pilot. Overall it was ok-ish. It feels like a mix of Avatar, Jurassic Park and a little bit of Earth 2 thrown in there. The drama was as cliched and corny as ever.
I'll watch the next few episodes to see where this is going.

This looks exactly like Avatar.

The dystopian future looks way cooler, they should center a series around that.

The dystopian future looks way cooler, they should center a series around that.

You should check out Total Recall 2070, it's basically Blade Runner the TV show.

I also hope to Christ that the teen angst goes away, Josh goes from wanting his dad to come along and saying how much he misses him and all that to hating him completely and rebelling against him in a ****ing 5 minute time frame.

You should check out Total Recall 2070, it's basically Blade Runner the TV show.

Embarrassingly enough I still haven't even seen Blade Runner, I might bump it up in my list of films to see. Thanks.

They should remake Jurassic Park but without changing anything.

Okay, now that I'm not as tired, I'll post actual impressions.

Things I didn't like, or didn't "get".
- The son. First off, he's just a typical angsty shit who has an absolutely unappealing personality. Secondly, why so mad all the time? He didn't seem mad when they were leaving, but as soon as they're on the other side he's super mad. He's mad at his dad for getting arrested, but if it weren't for his mom stopping him, the son would have joined in on the cop-beating. Also, when people are taking away your infant daughter, you're seriously going to get mad at someone for fighting them? Idiot.
- The child daughter. I can't remember how she showed back up. I mean, did they let the mother keep her or what? If so, was it because the dad was gone and now they were a 4-person family again, and thus an allowable size?
- The whole pacing was just ****ing terrible. I'm hoping its because it was the pilot and that it won't continue like that. I mean, the whole future setting goes by in like 20 minutes, and its supposed to span like 2+ years. They don't explain anything at all. Like how the wife smuggled in a ****ing laser into prison. They don't explain how the father actually escaped, he just kind of shows up out on the street. They gloss over the fact that the son is leaving behind a girlfriend. They should have skipped the whole future thing entirely, and just done a star wars style written "re-cap" to get people up to speed.
- Dinosaurs are treated like monsters, not animals. Impossible levels of aggression, ridiculous gymnastics, smashing their heads against metal repeatedly, etc. ****ing stupid.
- They arrive on the "new world" with ****ing everything set up for them. They have electricity, shitloads of food, medicine, shelter, weapons, etc. No hardships whatsoever. The story would have been more interesting if they were the first ones over.
- Crap CG most of the time. Not even the rendering or anything, that I could forgive, but the animation is pretty terrible.
- Inconsistency of explanations. The daughter (who is a shitty character btw. Nobody would be that smart and that attractive. Especially being that knowledgable about things she certainly wouldn't have given a shit about in the future when theres so much more pressing issues to learn about than dinosaur history. Character is forced as ****, but I digress) said that the stone monument thing was made of something they sent back in time, but never found because they were in a different time stream. Yet they have communication with people in the future they just left? What?
- Laser guns are weak. They don't even do anything when they hit something. I know those big turret things were supposed to be repulsive weapons to deter stuff from getting closer, but even those green laser SMGs hit the dinosaurs and just disappeared with no damage or any effect at all. What the ****?

Things I kinda liked.
- Armored halftracks
- Has dinosaurs
- The weird writing on the rocks could be interesting, and what it is will make or break the show.

Bitches ain't got nothin' on the Pliocene Exiles.

That was my first thought on hearing the premise of this show. Glad to know I'm not the only one who read those books...

I'm going to watch this, and then I'll probably put on Jurrasic Park to get rid of the bad taste.

If it doesn't suck, I'll be happy, and probably watch Jurrasic Park anyways because I've been thinking about watching it again anyways.

I saw it at the cinema the other day. It was ****ing glorious.

Also this show looks shit.

Is anyone still watching this? What did people think of the finale? Was a bit cheesy in parts but overall I enjoyed it! Bought in some interesting new plot devices, hopefully we'll get to see where they lead!

Still no confirmation on season 2. I really hope they continue with the show since I've been enjoying it quite a lot!

Horrible show, won't miss it when it's cancelled.

Horrible show, won't miss it when it's cancelled.

After watching a few episodes it pretty much turned out to be what I feared it would...
Dinos somewhere in the background, and plenty of "omg the humanity!" drama.
Will not miss it.

If I were to give ratings, I'd say most episodes were 4/10s, with some 5s and 6s thrown in. I only watched it while doing other stuff on the computer.

The show was decent. Watched it on Hulu.

The innocence of the teenagers bothered me. I seriously wondered if this show was supposed to air on the The Family Channel.

honestly I was kinda excited for this show at first but whit the time I started to get more anoyed,ending was decent thought but the fact that that the rest was almost forgetable its not a good sign

the best part of the whole serie was when they released the carnotaur in the future,which also point how few dinosaurs where appearing in the last episodes,which also points out how the "big budget" shined on the show.....

anyway I would like this show to have a second but I doubt,and after the lost style ending is easy to predict what will happens next

Nice show and pretty bang out finale there too. It's too bad it's on Fox so who knows what they'll ****in do, certainly hope there's a second season.

Nice show and pretty bang out finale there too. It's too bad it's on Fox so who knows what they'll ****in do, certainly hope there's a second season.

agreed, solid show and the ending was nice. kinda glad it didn't end on a big cliffhanger like some shows but who knows what'll happen.

What show are you guys watching?

All I could see was terrible teen angst and hammy writing.

I watched a few episodes for lack of better things to do, and I was still disappointed. The drama is strong in this one, and the dinos only ever make cameos.

I don't get it... if they just made a show about some new-world colonists fighting an army of dinosaurs with interesting future weapons (plus lots of gore thrown in) I'd watch that. If they created a conspiracy angle with a race of intelligent dinosaurs, or an alien species guiding dinosaur evolution or causing the dino extinction event, I'd watch that. Why the hell would anyone watch Lost With Dinosaurs?

Back