The best way to kill Hunters...(SPOILER OBVIOUSLY)

DEATHMASTER

The Freeman
Reaction score
is to run them over with the Muscle car! Seriously a pain if you don't do that or have those logs to chuck at'm. Like 4 double shotgun blasts in medium.

do the logs really do decent damage?
as overheard (sort-of spoiler), the sec-fire on the combine overwatch rifle is insta-kill, a rocket + a short burst of smg will kill them too.

i definitely greased a few. did anyone manage to get the "payback" achievement? (kill hunter with its own flechettes) I'm trying to figure out how to do it, aside from letting him shoot at you at point blank, then letting splash damage from the flechettes kill him somehow before it kills you.

Yeah the rifle overcharges are one hit kills too but there's usually more of them than there are overcharges (unless you can get a lucky rebound multikill! they should have an acheivement for that!). The logs do a real good amount of damage, usually 2-3, 2 if you're close enough. Oh and tires lying around are also good, not as much as the logs though.

My best bet was a quick rush with the muscle car to take out one, then a rocket on each of the other 2, followed by some pulse rifle... But really, the ways to take them out are limitless.

do the logs really do decent damage?
as overheard (sort-of spoiler), the sec-fire on the combine overwatch rifle is insta-kill, a rocket + a short burst of smg will kill them too.

i definitely greased a few. did anyone manage to get the "payback" achievement? (kill hunter with its own flechettes) I'm trying to figure out how to do it, aside from letting him shoot at you at point blank, then letting splash damage from the flechettes kill him somehow before it kills you.

I got the achievement with a radiator. It either deflected them back at it, or got hit with them and then they exploded on it just before it made contact. I'm not entirely sure, but it was definately with a radiator.

Hmm, i was a little dissapointed that you couldnt knock the striders over a little with the car!

If you pick up a log the fletches stick into it so you can throw it back at it to kill it.

I killed all the hunters with the car. It is quicker and more effective than using guns.

I found the magnum and crossbow to be quite effective, taking them down in a few shots...

I let the Striders get really close so that the rebels on the wall took out most of the hunters with their rocket launchers, then i got kicked by a strider and went flying across the forest ;(

If available, the best way to kill them is with the Hotrod, if you can get them without them dodging or hiding behind trees.

A combination of shotgun blasts, some AR2 fire, and thrown objects are the best way to deal with them otherwise.

I found that hitting the Hunters with the car was pretty frustrating. I always suck at driving in these games, and they actually have the sense to dodge you. Clever bastards.

3-4 crossbow bolts on medium difficulty.
Of course, the alternate fire on the AR2.

or, there's the classic way...
Civilian: "I took out 10, no 20 hunters a day! With my bare hands!"
Rebel Soldier: "So you're gonna be out in the field killing hunters with your FISTS. Right."
Civilian: "Out in the field? What are you talking about!? I'm a radio operator!"

I would try and take out both hunters with the car. If I could only get one then I would jump out and use logs to take the other one down. I am looking forward to playing that chapter again.

I got payback when you are trapped by the Combine at the mountainside house...I let it shoot flechettes into a log I was holding, then through it back at em...during the epic battle, I killed the first Hunter with two RPG shots, and then drove the hotrod into the legs of the Strider...needless to say, I died!

Strangely enough, I got Payback on the very first Hunter I killed. Right there where you and Alyx get ambushed by em. I'm not even really sure how. But in the big battle it's easy, hold a log, the arrows will stick into it, then throw the log at the Hunter...

The car is definately the anti-hunter weapon. In the first battle with them, when the second wave of hunters come (after you and Alyx step out of the building), one of them hopped out right next to my vehicle, and I yelled, "GET AWAY FROM MY CAR!" Hopped in and mowed its ass over.

One of my friends who was watching me play was playing the MiB song on his mp3 player at the time, and we started busting up laughing because I hadn't realized what he was listening to until the fight was over, and I said it in a very Will Smith-ish way.

During the final battle I didn't even get out of my car to fight them unless I got it stuck. :LOL: Smashing into hunters at 50mph never gets old.

One of the best ways to kill Hunters without ammo

Physics Object + Embedded Flechettes = Flying Time Bom

But I do think its a shame that you couldn't perform a drive-by

Heh, I got the flechette achievement doing that and didn't know why the thing vaporized.

I found that Hunters are easier to hit when they plant their feet. They dodge around and get mighty hard to hit, but they dont dodge when they plant their feet and start really spraying those flechettes. Then it's open season!

Otherwise I jump out, nail one with a rocket and some SMG fire to drop it, or if it's really close, blast it with the shotgun altfire a few times.

On Hard difficulty, weapons are pretty damn near ineffective. You can hit a Hunter with a rocket and then pound it with your weaponry, but without a rocket, they'll take way too much ammo to kill. Physics are the way to go against them.

They are hard as coffin nails for sure. The car is definitely a good choice, or the overwatch alt fire, I love that one :)

Not that we needed them to defeat the Hunters....

I found that hitting the Hunters with the car was pretty frustrating. I always suck at driving in these games, and they actually have the sense to dodge you. Clever bastards.

lol I remember one tried to dodge me but there was a rock in the way, needless to say he found his way under the tires
:)

What's AR2 anyway ? I think I forgot that..

I think the original acronym comes from pre-alpha days when the thing didn't have a name and was merely just "Automatic Rifle #2" in the menus.

lol I remember one tried to dodge me but there was a rock in the way, needless to say he found his way under the tires
:)

I tried turning into one that was dodging me...got high centered on a boulder and then this thing spins around and starts shooting me point blank....was not good.

I'm still looking for an AR3. =(

I loved that briefing

"Have you ever used an AR2?"
"AR2? No. Now an AR3, sure"
"Theres no such thing as an AR3.

"Who needs a gun, in the City we used to kill hunters with our bare hands."
"You killed hunters in the City with your bare hands? How are you gonna kill them in the field?"
"Field, I'm not gonna go in the field."

Back