The Cat in the Hat : A Freudian Analysis

Geogaddi

Reaction score
The Cat in the Hat is a hard-hitting novel of prose and poetry in which the author re-examines the dynamic rhyming schemes and bold imagery of some of his earlier works, most notably Green Eggs and Ham, If I Ran the Zoo, and Why Can't I Shower With Mommy? In this novel, Theodore Geisel, writing under the pseudonym Dr. Seuss, pays homage to the great Dr. Sigmund Freud in a nightmarish fantasy of a renegade feline helping two young children understand their own frustrated sexuality.

The story opens with two youngsters, a brother and a sister, abandoned by their mother, staring mournfully through the window of their single-family dwelling. In the foreground, a large tree/phallic symbol dances wildly in the wind, taunting the children and encouraging them to succumb to the sexual yearnings they undoubtedly feel for each other. Even to the most unlearned reader, the blatant references to the incestuous relationship the two share set the tone for Seuss' probing examination of the satisfaction of primitive needs. The Cat proceeds to charm the wary youths into engaging in what he so innocently refers to as "tricks." At this point, the fish, an obvious Christ figure who represents the prevailing Christian morality, attempts to warn the children, and thus, in effect, warns all of humanity of the dangers associated with the unleashing of the primal urges. In response to this, the cat proceeds to balance the aquatic naysayer on the end of his umbrella, essentially saying, "Down with morality; down with God!"

After poohpoohing the righteous rantings of the waterlogged Christ figure, the Cat begins to juggle several icons of Western culture, most notably two books, representing the Old and New Testaments, and a saucer of lactal fluid, an ironic reference to maternal loss the two children experienced when their mother abandoned them "for the afternoon." Our heroic Id adds to this bold gesture a rake and a toy man, and thus completes the Oedipal triangle.

Later in the novel, Seuss introduces the proverbial Pandora's box, a large red crate out of which the Id releases Thing One, or Freud's concept of Ego, the division of the psyche that serves as the conscious mediator between the person and reality, and Thing Two, the Superego which functions to reward and punish through a system of moral attitudes, conscience, and guilt. Referring to this box, the Cat says, "Now look at this trick. Take a look!" In this, Dr. Seuss uses the children as a brilliant metaphor for the reader, and asks the reader to re-examine his own inner self.

The children, unable to control the Id, Ego, and Superego allow these creatures to run free and mess up the house, or more symbolically, control their lives. This rampage continues until the fish, or Christ symbol, warns that the mother is returning to reinstate the Oedipal triangle that existed before her abandonment of the children. At this point, Seuss introduces a many-armed cleaning device which represents the psychoanalytic couch, which proceeds to put the two youngsters' lives back in order.

With powerful simplicity, clarity, and drama, Seuss reduces Freud's concepts on the dynamics of the human psyche to an easily understood gesture. Mr. Seuss' poetry and choice of words is equally impressive and serves as a splendid counterpart to his bold symbolism. In all, his writing style is quick and fluid, making The Cat in the Hat impossible to put down. While this novel is 61 pages in length, and one can read it in five minutes or less, it is not until after multiple readings that the genius of this modern day master becomes apparent.

Taken from http://www.seuss.org/seuss/freud.seuss.html

This why English class sometimes frustrates me. We spent a couple weeks going over Ender's Game (how awesome is it that we did that in English Class?) in the typical English class over-analyzing way before someone noticed that in the preface, Card says himself that any kind of symbolism or whatever is completely accidental.

Freud was a nut, by the way.

Hate to break it to you.

I remenber I was in a english course where we used some books of that dr seuss
will be cool to se vertions on another languages

Yeah, I'd really like to read 1984 on another language like Polish.

I can copy paste too, observe:

SHAZAM!!

"The Cat in the Hat" is a hard-hitting novel of prose and poetry in which the author re-examines the dynamic rhyming schemes and bold imagery of some of his earlier works, most notably "Green Eggs and Ham", "If I Ran the Zoo", and "Why Can't I Shower With Mommy?" In this novel, Theodore Geisel, writing under the pseudonym Dr. Seuss, pays homage to the great Dr. Sigmund Freud in a nightmarish fantasy of a renegade feline helping two young children understand their own frustrated sexuality....

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/customer-reviews/039480001X/702-7693275-6095219?s=books

3rd review down

BLAM!!!

"The Cat in the Hat" is a hard-hitting novel of prose and poetry in which the author re-examines the dynamic rhyming schemes and bold imagery of some of his earlier works, most notably "Green Eggs and Ham", "If I Ran the Zoo", and "Why Can't I Shower With Mommy?" In this novel, Theodore Geisel, writing under the pseudonym Dr. Seuss, pays homage to the great Dr. Sigmund Freud in a nightmarish fantasy of a renegade feline helping two young children understand their own frustrated sexuality....

http://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cgi?file=ReviewOfCatInTheHat

more:

http://www.msu.edu/user/dynicrai/seuss/cat.htm
http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu/mailing_lists/CLA-L/1999/02/0620.php
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/archives/9505/techwhirl-9505-00591.html
http://www.frivolity.com/teatime/Miscellaneous/cat_in_the_hat_review.txt

gotta love this guy's first post:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1905646&postcount=159

CptStern said:
I can copy paste too, observe:

I don't believe he was taking credit for it.

Hence the "Taken From" at the bottom.

look at the time he edited it then look at the time I posted ...he just added that line

DreadLord1337 said:
Hence the "Taken From" at the bottom.
There's also a "last edited" marked half an hour after the post was originally made, and shortly after Stern owned him. Suspicious.

willho said:
Suspicious...
Nothing to see here, move along.

Everything is fine. Nothing is ruined.

Watch out for liberals disguised as democracy supporters and report them to police. [With love to 15357.]

Raeven0 said:
Nothing to see here, move along.

Everything is fine. Nothing is ruined.

Watch out for liberals disguised as democracy supporters and report them to police. [With love to 15357.]
I'll move wherever I want.

CptStern said:
look at the time he edited it then look at the time I posted ...he just added that line

Don't make me go back and bring up that time you did the exact same thing. :cheese:

We got into a huge argument over that, back then.

Raeven0 said:

Hate to break it to you.
You're an idiot.

Btw the cat in the hat is great.

I used to have it read to me as a kid... good times :)

Solaris said:
You're an idiot.
You must excuse me for not taking seriously someone who thinks human consciousness revolves around the penis.

Raeven0 said:

Hate to break it to you.
Freud might have been a nut, but he was also a genius

You must excuse me for not taking seriously someone who thinks human consciousness revolves around the penis.

It's not about debauchery or giving in to one's carnal desires, it is about our sexual desires being an integral part of our lives. Even if you boast of being a virgin, you are still a sexual being, like it or not.

I ****ing hate when people try to analyze literature to levels like that.

And I LOVE the times when authors DO respond to these things and say "No that's not really what I was trying to do at all. Sorry."

Sometimes it's just writing- there isn't some symbolic meaning behind these things. I know I sure as hell don't try to add in that type of stuff when I write.

Oh snap, my English teacher uses 'Phallic Penis Image' all the damned time in literature like Great Expectations (I despise Dickens with a passion), and I really do not like how English as a lesson is about analizing other works, instead of creating your own and improving them.

School in general is a horrible prison designed to kill off any creativity you have before you leave, so you can become a politician or lawyer (except lawyers at least are creative in the figures they usually give as bills). That's why I doodle in English class and make shit up as I go along.
"Bread" in the sentence "I took the bread and took a bite while Joe wasn't looking" is suggesting that Pip is a martyr figure, who doesn't dine on anything of substantial worth, so to put the reader in a state of pittying him - reversed later on when the reader is urged to dislike Pip's attitude to Joe...

Die.

For more literary fun and stunning secret meanings, peruse this blazing critique of society and of the human condition (then read all the reviews):

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/836450/1/

Raevon0 said:
Hey! :frown:

dekstar said:
School in general is a horrible prison designed to kill off any creativity you have before you leave, so you can become a politician or lawyer (except lawyers at least are creative in the figures they usually give as bills).
School only kills your imagination if you let it. Personally, I actually enjoyed English, although we never seemed to reach the heights of overanylisation that some people complain of. Any, AS level EngLit is hella fun.

It is?
I might take English A-level, it looked a little boring htough. I like iinterprating things and writing my own stuff.

Well, I liked it. But then, I even quite liked Jane Eyre - and that's the bit most people despise. Bear in mind this is coming from someone who actually enjoys English exams.

A large portion of the course is Shakespeare, which might be a bad thing if you suck. Then there's a 19th-century novel, which will probably be Austen or a Bronte. Most people hate this bit because they find that period's literature stuffy, boring and overly verbose. You'll probably do something pretty modern as well. I'm pretty sure one of the units is '20th century poetry'. You might get Tony Harrison. You'd like him. :p

Go get The Birthday Party by Harold Pinter out of the library and also one of Shakespeare's big tragedies. If you enjoy reading them you'll enjoy AS Lit. I suspect you'll identify with Pinter's message in particular (I know I do).

Raeven0 said:
It may sound strange but he spent most of his life studying psychology, practically creating areas such as psychoanalyis and psychotherapy as it is practised today. He was a made a proffesor of psychology at a rather prestigous university.

But oh, you've probebly got similar qualifications to put you in a position to dismiss his theorys as crap.

Back