The Elder Scrolls Online

It's going to ruin the lore/world of TES, in my opinion. Then again it was all ruined after Morrowind :/

If nothing else it will just be really ugly looking

"Elder Scrolls Online: We got tired of making hundreds poorly written, inconsequential NPCs, so we took the N off and turned it into an MMO. Enjoy!"

How long until Bethesda announce Fallout: Online?

They own the rights again, after all.

Just as soon as they've taken whatever progress Interplay made, scrapped it, called Tood Howard and all his buddies, thrown everything onto a dogshit engine with bugs out of the ass and called it a day.

Oh god, I hope their online Studio has more QA than what they've got going in-house.

As if it hasn't been hard enough for them to do a stable launch in their history as developers.

This was inevitable given the position of ZeniMax, the franchise is absolutely perfect for it. The audience will undoubtedly begin huge and vigilant, I hope rightfully so. That is, until you track record of irresponsibly coddled interfaces, cumbersome animation, sub-par storytelling and what would seem a fetish for bugs and imbalance, one can't help but be a skeptic.

I wouldn't doubt ESO walking the humdrum path of Old Republic or becoming the victim of endless redesign and deadline disease. The MMO market is volatile. Perhaps the biggest risk industry in gaming for high brow investors.

Here's this parent developer with no online background, producing games with rigid, pathetic animations, awful unresponsive combat and absolutely horrid UIs (just godawful shit, would never penetrate the spoiled MMO market).

ESO will test Zeni, planning a grandiose MMO, yet possessing a project climbing an uphill battle relying almost solely on franchise power. UI, mind you, is a much larger element in MMOs, relying so heavily on communication and ease of spell/ability access. Things TES hasn't improved since the 1990s. Balance is a rightful nightmare to consider. Guilty until proven innocent, Bethesda.

Hopefully they'll use Gamebryo and have conversations with NPCs that zoom-in on horrifying carbon-copy NPCs with dog ugly uncanny faces. Oh, and horrible central story lines.

• While the game tries hard to stick to the tried and tested formula of previous TES games, it sounds like quite a lot has changed due to the restrictions and limitations inherent in MMOs. Let me ruin your evening right off the bat: there's no real time combat (more on this later)

Guild Wars 2, as much as I've doubted you, you've already crossed that dreadful boundary. SP gamers are not ****ing MMO gamers. Not yet.

^^^ if you take anything from this post, as an ES fan, give the SA post a look. Best compilation so far with daily updates.

Godspeed, ESO and Bethesda Online, your work is certainly cut out for you.

I wonder which Gamebryo derivative will be used and what they'll call it.

Bethesda was always the company I imagined would create the most nightmare of MMO failures. Laughable in prospect as the Nokia gaming handheld or the lovely CSCZ deleted scenes. Joy.

See that mountain over there? You can climb it.

Seeing as every Elder Scrolls game starts with you as a prisoner being set free does that mean the backstory for this game is mass prison-break?

Uh, that's not a trailer.

Just from the snippets of info released so far, this MMO feels like a waste of time. Making an online spinoff of a successful single player series with almost none of the gameplay mechanics carried over... Why bother? Maybe the series' lore is enough to make for an interesting online setting, but I've always found the sneaking, slashing, and good ol' wizardry to be the more compelling aspect of the TES games rather than the myriad of gods, rulers, and politics of Tamriel itself. Basically, the story barely registers with me compared to the gameplay experiences they offer. Even if the setting was enough to convince me, God knows that lore is malleable in MMOs and is not going to be as well respected as many fans hope.

Now having said that, I've only seen the few screens and tidbits that have been leaked so far. Maybe a more appealing aspect of the game will be revealed in time. It could be a decent MMO. But it still begs the question of why they bothered at all with the TES name other than name recognition.

Edit: Somebody mentioned on the Bethesda forums that while the gameplay of Oblivion and Skyrim may not be feasible given the scale of a large MMO, Morrowind would have been a good model to follow in its place.

Really Garg? Hotlinking to 4chan?
I am dumb, sorry :L

I deleted the post to lessen my shame.

Seeing as every Elder Scrolls game starts with you as a prisoner being set free does that mean the backstory for this game is mass prison-break?

Well, in Daggerfall you didn't start as a prisoner in shackles? I think you just got shipwrecked inside a dungeon that you had to escape from.

Bumping this if for no other reason than to express how angry this makes me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Elder-SCrolls-Online-MMOG-Matt-Firor-Zenimax-Online,15701.html

"The team of 250 at Zenimax Online wants the player to feel awesome, that he or she is the hero. "We do that through a mix of technology, where when I am confronting a major foe in the game, I'm doing it in an instance where I am alone," he added. "And we have a whole part of the game that is 100 per cent solo," he said, "which is the main story, where the world focuses on you - you are the hero, everything you do is solo and the world reacts to you that way."

Yeah, let's charge a monthly fee for an online game that makes you play by yourself. I know that's probably not an accurate distillation of the concept here, but really? Isn't this defeating the point of an MMO? Or can anything these days be classified as one as long as it has ****ing multiplayer? Furthermore, why the hell am I reading comments across the internet that are excited by this information? Are they so eager to waste their money on playing an online game by themselves? I want to be more connected to the world and the players inhabiting it, not sectioned off just so you can make me feel more "epic". You can't make everybody in an MMO feel like a unique hero when everybody's being told the same story and doing the same content, no matter how you try to dress it up. It just doesn't work.

I kind of liked being a lowly grunt pilot in my EVE corporation because, god damn it, at least it made sense and gave a sense of weight to the player community. I'm fine being a worker bee in an MMO as long as I'm still doing fun things. This is also why I grew tired of Blizzard's endless attempts to make a more personal experience with quest phasing and shit. You're not convincing me that my actions matter a damn jot to the world I'm playing in, so at least drop the ruse.

That's collossally retarded.

Plus there's this
You play a character whose soul has been stolen by Molag Bal
Which just... what?? Your ****ing SOUL is NOT IN YOUR BODY. How is it even... What do you... Someone please tell me I'm having some sort of stroke specific to the part of my brain that understands fantasy tropes.

I really hope this project bankrupts ZeniMax and Bethesda so they're forced to sell the Fallout IP to Obsidian.

[edit]
The average player will reach the level cap in 120 hours.
I laughed out loud at this for a good 20 seconds.

Truly, we are in the age of mainstream gaming.

Well, the government took my soul. I know how it feels.

Plus there's this
Which just... what?? Your ****ing SOUL is NOT IN YOUR BODY. How is it even... What do you... Someone please tell me I'm having some sort of stroke specific to the part of my brain that understands fantasy tropes.
Also it would be more impactful if souls weren't such a well-established and generic magical energy source in the Elder Scrolls universe. Oh no, a dark lord took my soul! What if he uses it to kill bears with his +7 fire long sword? :(:(:(

Yeah, I don't know much Elder Scrolls lore but I know an average player goes around slaughtering people massive amounts of people and sticking their souls into stones and using them to charge up their magic sword to kill more people and doing this they can still be classified as the good guys. A demon stealing the player's soul hardly seems very evil after that.

People actually had even the slighted bit of home in an MMO that had anything to do with ZeniMax or Bethesda? That's the kicker for me, Jesus. These guys don't know how to balance a stick you pick up off the tundra in Skyrim, they swim in money and have the animation, AI and story arcs of budget titles.

Also, it's a ****ing MMO. This was a sinking ship before the idea crossed a ZeniMax moneman's grubby mind.

Come on.

Elder Scrolls is a setting which could host a pretty awesome MMO. But it won't.

Don't get me wrong, Tamriel is pretty stupid. Oh wait. MMOs are intere--oh wait. Bethes is competen--oh wait

This reeks of shit like everything Bethesda touches besides side quests they often outsource and Fallout 3 (sans its shitawful dad complex main story and abhorrent Bethesda combat).

I regularly associate Bethesda with zoomed in horrific uncanny faces and animation that makes 8-bit games look like Assassin's Creed 2. They gain huge notoriety for setting and are ignored on narrative and general stupid game mechanics like useless magic or kill cams.

Feral cats literally scrape you off the map while dragons, the supposed immortal and all important aspect of ES, die to horrible characters like Lydia who has two bit of dialogue, a terrible gearing interface and no AI despite generations of games set in their droll and fattened games with no more substance than skeleton caves.

In all seriousness, I don't see why critics obsess. The bar for open ended RPGs is so ****ing low.

They only do ambiance well and insist on stupid, stupid technology. It's one of those studios I've just always been bored as hell with. Obsidian embarrassed them with a game that had no budget.

Hope Todd Howard eats a sea urchin whole.

The people at Bethesda are horrible human beings who deserve to roast in the fiery pits of hell for all eternity. Everything Bethesda has made so far has turned out to be an abominable amalgam of atrocity and awfulness. My alliterations can't even begin to describe the way I feel about these guys.

!

They're making better decisions than I expected. Could possibly be good?

I wasn't bothered about this before but like Krynn said, it looks like they're making some good decisions! I'll keep an eye on this from now on. Thanks for the video, Krynn!

Looks like fairly typical MMO fare, yawn. If it were more like Shadowbane/EVE it'd be interesting.

"The game doesn't really open up until level 50"

Great so it's like WoW, you have no fun until you're a high level. Sounds like a good decision.

Looks like fairly typical MMO fare, yawn. If it were more like Shadowbane/EVE it'd be interesting.
The biggest thing for me is the normal Elder Scrolls gameplay. I can't stand hotkey gameplay of all other MMOs.

I just can't emphasize enough how terrible this game is going to be. Goddamn I was chatty here, apologies for that.

The biggest thing for me is the normal Elder Scrolls gameplay. I can't stand hotkey gameplay of all other MMOs.

Looks like it'll be an Age Of Conan-style disappointment to me.

Signed up out of curiosity. Very low hopes for this game though. The beta sign up said I had above average chances of getting in. Here's hoping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole allure and charm of the Elder Scrolls the fact that it had the grandness and scope of an MMO but was a single player adventure one could get lost in? So by making it an MMO, they're essentially killing the very thing that makes Elder Scrolls what it is.

Wow seems like it's been a while since we've seen a dumb as shit wire-fu fantasy trailer like this one. ELDER SCROLLS!
I can't help enjoying CG action trailers, but yeah it was pretty dumb. "We've got our people climbing the walls!... FIRE THE CATAPULTS!"

I'm not going to try to join the beta though, not interested in an MMOs. Still, I think it could be better than most people are saying. However, with everyone already opposed to it nobody will give it a chance regardless.

Well, I've got a "very high" chance of selection according to the application. Despite me not knowing to click the little "+" for new entries in games I've beta'd. Hmm

Back