The GOP aims deny voting rights to African Americans.

delusional

Tank
Reaction score
The chairman of the Republican Party in Macomb County Michigan, a key swing county in a key swing state, is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the state GOP's effort to challenge some voters on Election Day.

'We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren't voting from those addresses,' party chairman James Carabelli told Michigan Messenger in a telephone interview earlier this week. He said the local party wanted to make sure that proper electoral procedures were followed.

State election rules allow parties to assign 'election challengers' to polls to monitor the election. In addition to observing the poll workers, these volunteers can challenge the eligibility of any voter provided they 'have a good reason to believe' that the person is not eligible to vote. One allowable reason is that the person is not a 'true resident of the city or township.'
The Macomb County party's plans to challenge voters who have defaulted on their house payments is likely to disproportionately affect African-Americans who are overwhelmingly Democratic voters. More than 60 percent of all sub-prime loans - the most likely kind of loan to go into default - were made to African-Americans in Michigan, according to a report issued last year by the state's Department of Labor and Economic Growth.

Challenges to would-be voters

Statewide, the Republican Party is gearing up for a comprehensive voter challenge campaign, according to Denise Graves, party chair for Republicans in Genessee County, which encompasses Flint. The party is creating a spreadsheet of election challenger volunteers and expects to coordinate a training with the regional McCain campaign, Graves said in an interview with Michigan Messenger.
Joe Rozell, director of elections for Oakland County in suburban Detroit, acknowledged that challenges such as those described by Carabelli are allowed by law but said they have the potential to create long lines and disrupt the voting process. With 890,000 potential voters closely divided between Democratic and Republican, Oakland County is a key swing county of this swing state.

According to voter challenge directives handed down by Republican Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land, voter challenges need only be 'based on information obtained through a reliable source or means.'

'But poll workers are not allowed to ask the reason' for the challenges, Rozell said. In other words, Republican vote challengers are free to use foreclosure lists as a basis for disqualifying otherwise eligible voters.

http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/18810

I am thoroughly disgusted.

Wait you read zmag?
How the **** did you turn out so bad then?

Say what you want about the Republican party - for instance that they're a bunch of morally bankrupt oil industry shills who wouldn't know a logical fallacy even if it spunked off right in their bible-toting faces - but at least when they set out to win an election they really go out and do what they need to do to win, without pussying about with gay stuff like 'scruples' or 'rational, non-emotive, logically coherent arguments'.

It would be nice if they didn't resort to shit like this, but the fact is they do, and it works (which doesn't reflect well on 'merkins, but oh well). In a way, it's an admirable kind of competence. I just wish the Democrats would pull their own ****ing thumbs out of their arses and do something about it, whether it be calling the GOP on their bullshit or opening up a can of dirty tricks of their own. ATM they're completely ineffective at doing either.

Seems very similar to what they did in the 2000 election.

The ****s.

Another thing that is shameful and disgusting about American democracy and how it reflects badly on the free world as a whole.

A solution could be to make it so short of being an adolescent or illegal alien, you automatically have the right to vote.

Edit: Forgot to mention, enjoy another four more years of Bush, if not in name.

And people wonder why Canada is such a good country. Compared to the U.S, we're Mother Teresa!

Well if this is true, it at least needs media attention. People need to get talking about it NOW rather than AFTER the election happens.

I am sad right now. Very, very sad right now. Stupid Republicans.

Say what you want about the Republican party - for instance that they're a bunch of morally bankrupt oil industry shills who wouldn't know a logical fallacy even if it spunked off right in their bible-toting faces - but at least when they set out to win an election they really go out and do what they need to do to win, without pussying about with gay stuff like 'scruples' or 'rational, non-emotive, logically coherent arguments'.

It would be nice if they didn't resort to shit like this, but the fact is they do, and it works (which doesn't reflect well on 'merkins, but oh well). In a way, it's an admirable kind of competence. I just wish the Democrats would pull their own ****ing thumbs out of their arses and do something about it, whether it be calling the GOP on their bullshit or opening up a can of dirty tricks of their own. ATM they're completely ineffective at doing either.

LMAO at you being in London and acting like you know how things go down in the US... so many people like that, sorry, its amusing...

How is his perspective any less informed than the average American citizen whose closest engagement with politics is watching it on the television?

LMAO at you being in London and acting like you know how things go down in the US... so many people like that, sorry, its amusing...

He's absolutely right.

And something like this might take my vote away.

Why is it though that, when the republicans have their say, all the liberals come out, crying about it, starting sensationalist accusations of people being racist, extreme, or radicals... And the even bigger thing, start crying about the media and how the media is bias to republicans. WAKE UP LIBERALS, the media is on your side, why else do you see magazines of Obama saying words like "hope" "change" all that bull shit, and then you'll see Mccain labled as the Rupublican... Some people vote for Obama just because hes black and feel we HAVE to have a blck person, with no attention to skill and experience which i personally obama lacks deeply...

Why is it though that, when the republicans have their say, all the liberals come out, crying about it, starting sensationalist accusations of people being racist, extreme, or radicals... And the even bigger thing, start crying about the media and how the media is bias to republicans. WAKE UP LIBERALS, the media is on your side, why else do you see magazines of Obama saying words like "hope" "change" all that bull shit, and then you'll see McCain labeled as the Republican... Some people vote for Obama just because hes black and feel we HAVE to have a black person, with no attention to skill and experience which i personally obama lacks deeply...

You mean when republicans go around the world trying to enforce democracy on the rest of the world, while at the same time denying people's voting rights; A key part of a successful democracy? And exactly where are these sensationalist accusations? And frankly all I've seen is Republicans complain about the media as a whole, not the other way around. Maybe you should stop listening to Sean Hannity or Fox News. And no, I don't mean all media should be "liberal". And maybe these magazines show Obama saying things like "hope" and "change", because that's what his campaign is running off. Ever think about that. And I never knew McCain wasn't a Republican, first time I've heard of this. And maybe, just maybe, people vote for Obama for the same reasons others vote for McCain; They agree with them on most issues. It's extremely easy to say people will vote for Obama because of his his skin color just as it is easy to say people will vote for McCain, because of his skin color.

Your lack of spelling and grammar aptitude makes it difficult to take you seriously as well.

And in case your wondering, I am not voting for Obama nor McCain.

What is it with you and Nader porky.
You keep giving me mixed messages you ****.

Your lack of spelling and grammar aptitude makes it difficult to take you seriously as well.

This sums up the weakness of you're argument right here. Need to throw this comment in, don't you. Here we are, on a video game forum, discussing politics like a bunch of Rhode Scholars *sarcasm*... And, then someone goes for the typical "you're grammar sucks" gig, lame resort... And my grammar is fine, yea, i just noticed i mispelled 'black' and put 'blck', its called typing too fast and not spending an hour revising a few sentences... But then again, you're probably not good at reading, that's why :p

My god, we have a bright one here.

Why is it though that, when the republicans have their say, all the liberals come out, crying about it, starting sensationalist accusations of people being racist, extreme, or radicals...

Firstly, I love how so many people throw the word 'liberal' around like it has an extreme negative connotation.
Protip: 'liberal' comes from the political idesa of 'liberalism' or sometimes 'social liberalism' which are based on the important of personal freedoms. If you're going to use negative words to describe left wing ideas then at least use a more extreme and accurate varient, rather than a vague phrase you don't understand that came from the mouth of Bill O'Reilly.

Secondly, exactly what is 'sensationalist' about these accusations?

• Since when should someone be denied the right to vote because they have fallen on hard times?
  • Perhaps it is merely an astounding conincidence that this particular group of people are mostly african american (Much as I hate to use that word) and most are democrats who wouldn't vote republican - but I doubt it.

And the even bigger thing, start crying about the media and how the media is bias to republicans. WAKE UP LIBERALS, the media is on your side, why else do you see magazines of Obama saying words like "hope" "change" all that bull shit,

You know I'm not sure.
I have a theory though.
Mabye it's because those words are part of his ****ing slogan. Maybe it's because they also happen to be (in the case of change at least) words that Obama wants the american people to aspire to. You know, hope in the future, a change to the bad government of the last eight years.

But then, what do I know? I'm obviously a stupid liberal extremist ;(

and then you'll see Mccain labled as the Rupublican...

Oh shit, has he changed party now? I was pretty sure that was the party he was representing. Since he hasn't got a slogan that he uses a lot, what would you rather have? "John McCain the glorious war-hero and all round good guy?"

Some people vote for Obama just because hes black and feel we HAVE to have a blck person,

Thanks for the mountain of statistical data you used to back that up. God forbid someone actually likes his policies.

with no attention to skill and experience which i personally obama lacks deeply...

If you're going down that route, why would John McCain pick someone even less experienced in foreign policy as his VP? Hmm, I smell pandering to certain groups with no regard to what is best for the country.

Certainly, Joe Biden has a mountain of experience which Obama could use in a VP. That doesn't mean Obama isn't ready for the job. His ideas and personal qualifications make him more than capable.

Well sure, if your home is foreclosed you're basically a felon anyway. What's not to like? I'm not sure what sketches me out more about elections; the candidates or the voters.

Candidate, "I'm from a small town."
Voter, "I'm voting for him because he's from a small town."

Candidate, "Look: a woman in my campaign!"
Voter, "I like women, I'm voting for him."

Candidate, "I was a POW."
Voter, "I like vets, I'm voting for him."

Candidate, *smiles for the camera*
Voter, "I like the way he looks."

Candidate, "Damn the foreclosees."
Voter, "Yeah, I still own my house. Screw 'em!"

What do these even have to do with being able to run a country? Do they infer some sort of skill that would help run the nation? Seriously though, isn't this practice some form of gerrymandering?

This sums up the weakness of you're argument right here. Need to throw this comment in, don't you. Here we are, on a video game forum, discussing politics like a bunch of Rhode Scholars *sarcasm*... And, then someone goes for the typical "you're grammar sucks" gig, lame resort... And my grammar is fine, yea, i just noticed i mispelled 'black' and put 'blck', its called typing too fast and not spending an hour revising a few sentences... But then again, you're probably not good at reading, that's why :p

Your complete ignorance of my argument sums up the weakness of yours. :rolleyes:

Actually no one here will give a shit what you say if you don't really take the time to be legible. Presentation is everything and if you come across as a semi-illiterate retard that's how you'll be viewed in any debate.

On topic this seems pretty out of order as it's deliberately punishing those people who are generally the victims of a financial collapse that the republicans could of staved off if they weren't so busy wasting money and lives in Iraq.

Hell yeah! At least they have the low moral standards to get things done in the completely wrong way! Thats who I want running my government!

lol liberal media

Because it's really done a bangup job of grilling a Republican administration on its lies and incompetence, amirite or am i rite?

You know something is amiss in a person's head when their party is in power, their spigot of conservative pillow talk is the number one source of news in the country, they face off against a spineless press corp that's only good for the occasional stinging rhetorical barb, and they still think they're victims of some calculated bullying.

For all the tough fronts Republicans like to put up, I find it amusing how much they whine underneath it all. At least their shrill liberal counterparts have some basis in legitimate complaint. They've not actually been in power for the last eight years.

Unlucky, I was actually in America for almost the entirety of the primaries season, as well as the last few months' run up to the election. I've been exposed to as much info and electioneering propaganda as anyone else over there, especially since my girlfriend's family are staunch republicans. So many American conservatives think the world starts and ends at the US borders, sorry, it's amusing...

As for a liberally biased media in the states, come off it... There might few hours devoted to opinion pieces by Olbermann and suchlike, but if there was a real liberal bias in the reporting arm then CNN and people like Lou Dobbs wouldn't devote so much wasted airtime to handwringing and worrying to the tune of 'ARE we biased?! I suppose we might be! Oh goodness, what a to-do! Ring the panelists now! And get at least two who say we are biased so it keeps everyone happy!' In the case of bias, that Reverend Wright shit wouldn't have been repeated ad infinitum either and we might actually see some proper scrutiny of Palin's crazy fundamentalist sympathies. Funny, I never see Fox News dithering over any perceived bias on their station...

To hear some people tell it, what you'll see if you dare to switch on CNN is a hippie free love orgy, with people in Che Guevara shirts in the backround burning American flags and handing condoms to 5 year olds. These same detractors sneer at anything reported by the BBC, the most respected news media outlet in the world, as if it appeared in the Fortean Times. Read what Absinthe said, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR MINDS.

And Krynn, I was jo3x0ringn...

Actually no one here will give a shit what you say if you don't really take the time to be legible. Presentation is everything and if you come across as a semi-illiterate retard that's how you'll be viewed in any debate.

On topic this seems pretty out of order as it's deliberately punishing those people who are generally the victims of a financial collapse that the republicans could of staved off if they weren't so busy wasting money and lives in Iraq.

Lol, it's the interent my friend, not a debate club or formal gathering, im sorry if my middle finger hit the w button when it meant to hit the e. And 'presentation' is everything when it comes to candidates, but not so much voters, unless you are like a real stupid person and are showing support for a candidate, it won't look good, yes, but over a vide game forum, i really doubt it has an effect. nic tri!!! OMG I MISPELT WORDZ, I SO ST00PID...

::
Lol, it's the interent my friend, not a debate club or formal gathering, im sorry if my middle finger hit the w button when it meant to hit the e. And 'presentation' is everything when it comes to candidates, but not so much voters, unless you are like a real stupid person and are showing support for a candidate, it won't look good, yes, but over a vide game forum, i really doubt it has an effect. nic tri!!! OMG I MISPELT WORDZ, I SO ST00PID...

Firstly you're not my friend, and secondly this is a pretty tight knit community forum and the vast majority of posters here do make an effort (even when we disagree with each other). If you want to come off as a weak minded semi-illiterate worthless troll, that's your choice, but don't expect to be taken seriously by anyone. Lazy actions = lazy mind. :dozey:

I do like how he has decided to ignore my comments completly. Maybe he just isn't up to it :p

It just seems like this forum is so full of liberals and I really want to read their posts because I actually can, and then the one lone republican types like a retarded four year old. How do you think this reflects on the status of the members of our political parties?

Fox News took talking points directly from the white house.

Damn you, liberal media!

Calm down, or you're gonna shoot in your pants.

It just seems like this forum is so full of liberals and I really want to read their posts because I actually can, and then the one lone republican types like a retarded four year old. How do you think this reflects on the status of the members of our political parties?

Accurately.

Back