The Great Big List of Discrepancies

$kelet0r

Tank
Reaction score
With thanks to many

fuel barrels, gun grenades, hand grenades, and rockets all explode the same way.

Gordon NEVER needs a nap, nor ever needs to stop moving.

You can kill a soldier by shooting him in the hand repeatedly.

The Gravity gun will launch a full fuel barrel further than it will launch a loose tiny missle.

In fact, I seem to notice that the gravity gun has reverse what it should be! It launches small things (medkits, loose grenades) LESS far than it launches barrels and axels and stuff! I tried it on the bridge! Its not air resistance cuz the missle would have less than a fuel barrel

Launching a saw blade at high velocity towards a zombie will cleave it in Half, even if you hit it's head/ legs.

Any ailment, from radiation poisoning to deadly toxins can be cured with medkits and morphine.

Weapons technology will not advance for the next ten years.

The field of robotics however, will pitch forward dramatically.

not only does the mp7 fire nades from a magical invisible grenade launcher, it fires them wrong. The grenades for the mp7 in the game are shaped like large bullets, this is normal..relatively. What isn't is the fact that the nades spin and wobble through the air. What was the point of making them shaped like bullets if they are just going to spin through the air instead of going in a straight or kinda straight line?

It's strange when you throw things or go close at metrocop, he starts following you and try to smash you with a tazer, but they suddenly stops and goes back. Shouldn't they follow you untill you are dead?

you can climb up a ladder backwards while firing a two handed weapon

And how about this? How on earth does Gordon walk on floating barrels? I'm talking about the whole elctrified water room where you have to make a bridge with barrles to get across. But how can anyone walk across, much less stand on, a floating barrel?

can grab a flat object (with E) and walk-jump high into the air, fly over buildings and get stuck outside the map.

I can take several bullets to the head and restore myself to perfect health in a second.

I can't climb over a fence or climb onto a ledge, but I can jump even higher by tossing a grenade at my feet.

If you hold an object (with E) before and while you put on your HEV suit, your gloved hands will appear as though you are inspecting them, and the object is still floating in the air.

You can run or sprint equally quickly backwards and forwards and sideways. You can run back and forth on the thinnest of ledges, and an inch-long window sill will clip and stop you in your tracks as you are running along a wall.

Your glasses never need cleaning

If you pick up a floating barrel (E) and dive then just stop, rather than it pulling you up, you start to sink.

On the coast, objects thrown into the sea don't bop up and down, or move at all.

On the coast, you can hear waves crashing into the shore, yet the water is completely still.

The clouds don't move.

When you pick something up with the big crane, you can see two shadows overlapping each other.

The SMG can launch grenades but has no launcher!

The crowbar leaves bullet marks on objects instead of.... crowbar marks!

The fire looks unreal when viewed from above.

Some NPCs don't have fingers, instead they just have a block for a hand with the fingers painted on.

The crossbow on the HUD doesn't match the crossbow in-game (someone posted a thread about this a while ago).

The airboat has two crosshairs when you get the gun for it.

The zombies are all male

Wooden fence still remains when shot with explosive barrel

The world .357 model sucks! Even the Blue Shift HD pack one is better. Here's a comparison:

The Blue Shift one has an actual trigger, while the HL2 one is just a texture. And look at the HL2 ones grip, it's sh*t. The Blue Shift one actually curves. Never thought I'd see a HL1-engine model look better than it's Source engine counterpart.

JESUS ****ING CHRIST ITS NOT FOLLOWING REAL LIFE EXACTLY??? CAN ANYONE THINK WHY? MAYBE ITS A COMPUTER GAME!

oh it is...

oh jeeeeez.... :rolleyes:

EDIT: well, thats hl2 spoiled for me.. that weird jumping thing that happens if i try and stand on a bottle i'm holding in my hands while running forwards means i'll just have to horribly damage my computer and put my HD in the bin now.

EDIT2: OMG, in duke nukem 2, he can jump and his legs only bend at 23 degrees, how is that possible!? he also jumps higher than his own height! drinking the little soda's makes numbers appear in mid air!

Heh, I don't think the poster meant that the above had ruined the game for him...

Wanna know why that stuff isnt in the game. BECAUSE IT WOULDNT BE AS FUN... Sheeesh Idiot.

You got way too much time on your hand to actually think of every little thing wrong and make a huge list!

dont worry bliink you've been scarred as well. The lack of realism in a computer game which is intended to suspend your disbelief into a world thats away from the real one. I'm going to add some more

Ive never met an Antlion /guard that big

Combines in real life always have ar2 rifles, i've never pistols like in the station

The characters never change their clothes, they must SMELL!

Combine dropships usually have supplies in e.g. newspapers/bread/milk in for the local supermarkets, not combine soldiers

Striders are meant to be fluorencent pink

We never meet Gordon's hairdresser

We never see Gordon sneeze/cough/burp/fart he must be a cyborg

HE HASNT BLINKED IN 8 YEARS!

Why is gordon allowed to drive? i have never seen a license/ id

I can't locate the citadel, my A - Z says its in Barnsley behind the council estate but no luck

I'm not sure about this last one, but i don't think gravity guns exist so its hard to say which is right and wrong with that they throw.

Please try and sleep at night people, i know its a horrifying truth...but he must be strong. We will all know in the course of...well im not really at liberty to say! In the meantime...im going to stop ripping off this speech :)

Hectic Glenn said:
I can't locate the citadel, my A - Z says its in Barnsley behind the council estate but no luck

no, you know that bus stop around the corner? its next to that :LOL:

some of this stuff is stupid, like you complained about being able to restore your health in seconds...would you rather it take a few years and have painful months of rehabilitation? About the gravity gun, your assuming it puts the same amount of force on each object when it launches it, however if it put the amount of force need to get it up to a specific speed for each object, then the game would be true to how it acts. Which is probably what valve did.

Think of a feather and a car, if i launch both with 50 newtons of force, obviously the feather would go farther, but if i apply a force that leaves both traveling at 50m/s by the time its one angstrom away from where it started, then which would go farther? My $.02

xcellerate said:
some of this stuff is stupid, like you complained about being able to restore your health in seconds...would you rather it take a few years and have painful months of rehabilitation? About the gravity gun, your assuming it puts the same amount of force on each object when it launches it, however if it put the amount of force need to get it up to a specific speed for each object, then the game would be true to how it acts. Which is probably what valve did.

Think of a feather and a car, if i launch both with 50 newtons of force, obviously the feather would go farther, but if i apply a force that leaves both traveling at 50m/s by the time its one angstrom away from where it started, then which would go farther? My $.02

Well the point is the gravity gun actually should apply a certain force rather than accelerating the object to a certain speed.

Cause I don't see it having a microprocessor than calculates the mass of the object and amount of force needed to make it go at certain speed.

The zombies are all male
They mightn't be. They are heavily mutated.

The clouds don't move.
No wind maybe.

On the coast, objects thrown into the sea don't bop up and down, or move at all.
They do in my game.

Self cleaning glasses. There is such a thing.

I can take several bullets to the head and restore myself to perfect health in a second
That's what Gordons Helmet is for.

The Gravity gun will launch a full fuel barrel further than it will launch a loose tiny missle.
It is the zero-point energy field manipulator. Are you an expert on zero-point energy?

Of course. The pulse rifle, perfect acruacy revolver, infinate ammo turret and zero-point energy field manipulator can be bought from any guns shop.

omgwtfbbq hl2 isn't as realistic as you want it to be!?!!?!1

Just do the forums a favor and shut up. I thought this was a joke thread after reading "The clouds don't move"

Grow up you big baby. It's a ****ing computer game, and if it had been more realistic, it would of taken 2 more years to develop, and 2 gigs bigger...

Maybe your computer sucks..Because on my game a lot of components that you CLAIM aren't in the game, ARE in fact.

And also, shut up you feminist jackass. So what if there aren't any women zombies? OMG VALVE R ANTI WOMAN / RACIST!

I spotted this one discrepancy. The whole thing doesn't look real, it's as if some people made up the whole thing up on computers and sold it to people like us as a game... or something. :rolleyes:

It's strange when you throw things or go close at metrocop, he starts following you and try to smash you with a tazer, but they suddenly stops and goes back. Shouldn't they follow you untill you are dead?

Maybe they think you're not worth the effort....that, or VALVe didnt want people going arond with 20 metrocops running after you...

Yeah, I supose if this alien race invaded your world you wouldn't take their technology and use it?

Really, if you make the game 'realisitc' (but why would you, its a freakin game) it would be boring..... Shoot gordon in the head, 0h n03z he's dead! You need a gf lol.

is this one big bitch list?

hilarious. :LOL:

maybe you should make a better version of HL2, john3571000.

I think this is a compliment to the game, if this list was made for any other game the poster would have been told to stfu and go outside.

"fuel barrels, gun grenades, hand grenades, and rockets all explode the same way. "

Agreed

"Gordon NEVER needs a nap, nor ever needs to stop moving."

He does need to stop running, and the game is only a day and a half long if you were getting shot at you could probly stay up that long.

"You can kill a soldier by shooting him in the hand repeatedly."

Agreed but a common problem in all fps

"The Gravity gun will launch a full fuel barrel further than it will launch a loose tiny missle."

If you throw a wiffle ball and a soft ball with the same amount of strength the wiffle ball doesnt go as far does it? ( I could be wrong im no physics major ecspecially in the area of zero point energy manipulation :LOL: )

"Launching a saw blade at high velocity towards a zombie will cleave it in Half, even if you hit it's head/ legs."

Agreed, they could have atleast made leg and head animations.

"Any ailment, from radiation poisoning to deadly toxins can be cured with medkits and morphine."

Agreed, but again a common problem in fps. This game isnt the most realistic.

"Weapons technology will not advance for the next ten years."

Hasnt gone to far since the 90's has it? And we arent even being oppressed by aliens.

"The field of robotics however, will pitch forward dramatically."

Most of the robotics is alien technology, but even half life 1 had science more advanced than it really is.

"not only does the mp7 fire nades from a magical invisible grenade launcher, it fires them wrong. The grenades for the mp7 in the game are shaped like large bullets, this is normal..relatively. What isn't is the fact that the nades spin and wobble through the air. What was the point of making them shaped like bullets if they are just going to spin through the air instead of going in a straight or kinda straight line?"

Agreed

"It's strange when you throw things or go close at metrocop, he starts following you and try to smash you with a tazer, but they suddenly stops and goes back. Shouldn't they follow you untill you are dead?"

I think this was done for gameplay reasons. It would be cool to have a mob of angry cops chasing me though.

"you can climb up a ladder backwards while firing a two handed weapon"

Yea, whats up with that?

"And how about this? How on earth does Gordon walk on floating barrels? I'm talking about the whole elctrified water room where you have to make a bridge with barrles to get across. But how can anyone walk across, much less stand on, a floating barrel?"

Simple, he is the reincarnation of christ ( Im not being serious )

"can grab a flat object (with E) and walk-jump high into the air, fly over buildings and get stuck outside the map."

I think this could go under the catagory of bug.

"I can take several bullets to the head and restore myself to perfect health in a second."

Common in all unrealistic fps, this isnt rainbow six.

"I can't climb over a fence or climb onto a ledge, but I can jump even higher by tossing a grenade at my feet."

Agreed

"If you hold an object (with E) before and while you put on your HEV suit, your gloved hands will appear as though you are inspecting them, and the object is still floating in the air."

Isnt that awsome? Your have magical powers, be happy!

"You can run or sprint equally quickly backwards and forwards and sideways. You can run back and forth on the thinnest of ledges, and an inch-long window sill will clip and stop you in your tracks as you are running along a wall."

It must have taken gordon forever to get so good at walking backwards.

"Your glasses never need cleaning"

It would be pretty cool if our screen slowly got more dusty till we pressed the clean off glasses button.

"If you pick up a floating barrel (E) and dive then just stop, rather than it pulling you up, you start to sink."

That HEV suit must be pretty heavy huh.

"On the coast, objects thrown into the sea don't bop up and down, or move at all."

Agreed, Makes it really hard to fish.

"On the coast, you can hear waves crashing into the shore, yet the water is completely still."

Agreed

"The clouds don't move."

This is true, but they dont in a lot of games. Using some clever mapping you can get it to look like they do anyway. Valve probly didnt because of preformance hits.

"When you pick something up with the big crane, you can see two shadows overlapping each other."

Wasnt like this for me

"The SMG can launch grenades but has no launcher!"

Agreed, this was just lazy.

"The crowbar leaves bullet marks on objects instead of.... crowbar marks!"

Agreed, would be cool if you could rip chunks out of stuff with the crowbar.

"The fire looks unreal when viewed from above."

The fire in this game is pretty ugly

"The crossbow on the HUD doesn't match the crossbow in-game (someone posted a thread about this a while ago)."

This is true, but isnt really that big of a deal. Never even noticed till now

"The airboat has two crosshairs when you get the gun for it."

I never noticed this.

"The zombies are all male"

Did you check, maybe some are lesbians?

"Wooden fence still remains when shot with explosive barrel"

Some do, some dont.

"The airboat has two crosshairs when you get the gun for it."

It's bloody meant to have two...

One is for the gun - to see where you are aiming and the other is a point of reference crosshair so you know which way the boat is pointing.

It's not like Halo where your head direction determines where the vehicle goes, so you need to know which way is forward while driving. And because you are often looking up past the pontoons of the boat you don't get that reference point. This is why they didn't bother puting a steering crosshair on the buggy - because you have the frame and the wheels as reference points to know which way you are going.

In the boat it is hard to see the pontoons and body of the boat without looking down at the water. And as 99% of the action happens out of this field of view they needed a crosshair to help you pilot it around the levels.

Ahahah the comments are awsome. Best. Thread. Ever. :E

This guy is right about 2 or 3 things, but the rest is just stupid... :|

john3571000 said:
With thanks to many

fuel barrels, gun grenades, hand grenades, and rockets all explode the same way.

Gordon NEVER needs a nap, nor ever needs to stop moving.
His hazard suit injects Caffeine and certain hormones directly into his blood stream, to stop this happening

Haven't you heard of "Dying from blood loss"?

In fact, I seem to notice that the gravity gun has reverse what it should be! It launches small things (medkits, loose grenades) LESS far than it launches barrels and axels and stuff! I tried it on the bridge! Its not air resistance cuz the missle would have less than a fuel barrel
try throwing a paper aeroplane further than you can throw a small rock. Now, which is heavier?

Launching a saw blade at high velocity towards a zombie will cleave it in Half, even if you hit it's head/ legs.
Due to the big gaping Maw the zombies have in their stomachs, they are naturally weaker. Therefore, hit a zombie anywhere with a sharp implement, and the stomach will tear.

Any ailment, from radiation poisoning to deadly toxins can be
cured with medkits and morphine.
It's not just morphine injected into Gordons blood stream, let me tell you ;)

Oh noes! Dr Who has arrived from the future, on Earth in the form of a whinging lunatic :O. Seriously, you don't know if it will advance or not.

The field of robotics however, will pitch forward dramatically.
Maybe the "Improved robots" thought of these improved weapon designs? Huh?

not only does the mp7 fire nades from a magical invisible grenade launcher, it fires them wrong. The grenades for the mp7 in the game are shaped like large bullets, this is normal..relatively. What isn't is the fact that the nades spin and wobble through the air. What was the point of making them shaped like bullets if they are just going to spin through the air instead of going in a straight or kinda straight line?
Well that would only be useful if they were self propelled missiles. The Mp7 Grenades are only designed to travel a few meters, and therefore don't need self propellant, but do need an aerodynamic design.

This is enitrely 100% false. The Metrocops don't want to kill you, but would rather instil fear into your heart and assimilate you later. Answer me this, riddle man: If they WERE meant to kill the citizens, why are they only carrying stun batons?

you can climb up a ladder backwards while firing a two handed weapon
I can do that. Haven't you thought of using your elbows as a stabilizer?

And how about this? How on earth does Gordon walk on floating barrels? I'm talking about the whole elctrified water room where you have to make a bridge with barrles to get across. But how can anyone walk across, much less stand on, a floating barrel?
If you looked in the barrels, you would see they had a gyroscope inbuilt into them to keep them upright , and some helium to keep them afloat.

can grab a flat object (with E) and walk-jump high into the air, fly over buildings and get stuck outside the map.
Uuh, You would be able to do it too if your arms were slightly genetically modified to be longer. I mean, in 10 years Gordons arms had grown while the rest of his body hadn't, and so his arms were longer.

I can take several bullets to the head and restore myself to perfect health in a second.
Wow, it's a wonder why Gordon can't do that. You must be superman or something... :upstare:

I can't climb over a fence or climb onto a ledge, but I can jump even higher by tossing a grenade at my feet.
Try that in real life, and you'll do EXACTLY the same thing. I swear!

If you hold an object (with E) before and while you put on your HEV suit, your gloved hands will appear as though you are inspecting them, and the object is still floating in the air.

You can run or sprint equally quickly backwards and forwards and sideways. You can run back and forth on the thinnest of ledges, and an inch-long window sill will clip and stop you in your tracks as you are running along a wall.

Anti-dirt glasses. Geeze, you being from the future and all, you must have heard of them!

If you pick up a floating barrel (E) and dive then just stop, rather than it pulling you up, you start to sink.
You're heavier than the barrel

On the coast, you can hear waves crashing into the shore, yet the water is completely still.

The clouds don't move.

When you pick something up with the big crane, you can see two shadows overlapping each other.

The SMG can launch grenades but has no launcher!

The crowbar leaves bullet marks on objects instead of.... crowbar marks!

The fire looks unreal when viewed from above.

Some NPCs don't have fingers, instead they just have a block for a hand with the fingers painted on.

The crossbow on the HUD doesn't match the crossbow in-game (someone posted a thread about this a while ago).

The airboat has two crosshairs when you get the gun for it.

The zombies are all male
Headcrabs don't like Females. They're all gay....

Wooden fence still remains when shot with explosive barrel
It's metal-lined. And bomb proof.

The world .357 model sucks! Even the Blue Shift HD pack one is better. Here's a comparison:

The Blue Shift one has an actual trigger, while the HL2 one is just a texture. And look at the HL2 ones grip, it's sh*t. The Blue Shift one actually curves. Never thought I'd see a HL1-engine model look better than it's Source engine counterpart.

I've added (In bold) answers to most of your queries and statements. People can feel free to alter these or add to them in any way. Now will you kindly GO THE HELL AWAY

OMG Pacman sucks because he eats dots all day and never gets full or takes a dump. And then he eats ghosts except their eyes.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Btw those of you who want realism should buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl as soon it's released (www.stalker-game.com ).

It will have fully non-scripted AI, meaning that if you see a monster attack an army patrol it didn't do it because you triggered a scripted sequence, but because it was hungry :D.

Also you'll need to eat, drink and sleep. You can get radiation sickness that eventually can never be healed completely. There are lots of other cool features too.

Too bad it got delayed again.

ok there is only one thing i have to say to you........

its a game!!! i.e it isnt real

only one thing to say...and i told this to my friend who said "In Matrix Reloaded, the computer animated agents and neo looked fake." I told him "If you think it looks fake, you go and make it look better." So the same for this, you think these things are flaws, go to Valve and say "I'll code everything for you so it seems 100% real."

Man, he just posted this list for fun and you guys are going to castrate him!

0mar said:
Man, he just posted this list for fun and you guys are going to castrate him!

yes, because some of those thigns are idiotic lol... like...

Gordon NEVER needs a nap, nor ever needs to stop moving

don't remember any other FPS character needing to take a nap :p

Jesus Hernando Philibin.
aaahhhffffuuucckkk.... just die, please.

Look at the front of the box your game came in.
Read the TITLE. Find a dictionary. Look up half-life. Read the definition. Then contrast with 'real' and 'life'. With some luck, you might realise that 'Half-Life" is NOT the same thing as 'real life'. And I will take a leap into the void of reasoning and suggest that the product you are holding in your hands is not INTENDED to be the world's first 100%-true-to-life Particle Physicist Simulator. It's a game, a game about shooting.

Overwatch said:
Well the point is the gravity gun actually should apply a certain force rather than accelerating the object to a certain speed.

yea, i agree with you completely, i was saying that that is probably how valve made it, because maybe there was an issue with having dynamic "weights" and a static force that was applied, so they just said f*ck it, make everything fly at 500mph then theyll slow down from there....i could be COMPLETELY wrong, but it seems to make sense to me.

If it's just a game, then wtf do you all make such a fuss about it as if it's the Second Coming!?

BTW, I think the original poster has masses of valid points - maybe he's looking forward to the day the ultimate games platform becomes available, ie:

The Star Trek Holodeck

The Federation doesn't tolerate odd little bugs in its recreation suites, no siree!

As for the moving clouds, erm... Unreal had them SEVEN YEARS before HL2! So stick that in your pipe and smoke it! "Performance hits" my ass!

Wow, I completly agree with you, let me add some more.

1. WTF Gordon doesn't eat at all in HL1 OR HL2..

2. Gordon doesn't even speak, I mean, how is it realistic is that?!?

3. City 17, Black Mesa, WTF? I mean if you want to be realistic, at least use a real research facility or town..

...etc

J/K

This thread is priceless for the responses. We should all thank john for giving us a chance to make such creative posts.

john3571000 said:

In the prison? That water is a foot deep, go on sit in it kick your legs, flap your arms, and cry "I'm drowning" you'll barely get your shirt wet. I once used a metal desk to pass that part, I think thats a bigger issue and not an unreasonable one either but do I bitch? And honestly I don't ever remember barrles ever holding your weight, they sink.

PS.: This thread is a good laugh thanks. I have to try jumping on what I'm holding, thats too rich.

xcellerate said:
yea, i agree with you completely, i was saying that that is probably how valve made it, because maybe there was an issue with having dynamic "weights" and a static force that was applied, so they just said f*ck it, make everything fly at 500mph then theyll slow down from there....i could be COMPLETELY wrong, but it seems to make sense to me.

no, it's all about gameplay... there's no scientific reason....i mean, it would suck if you couldn't fling a barrel very far and kill things would'nt it??? Anywoo, who said that a zero-point gravity gun had to work a specific way :p

Haven't you heard of "Dying from blood loss"?

Haha great stuff Dekstar.....

john3571000 said:

Probably been beaten to this, but oh well; this point makes no sense. The point of the gravity gun is that it basically defies gravity, but to an extent (you cannot pick up cars with it). Take for example a cinderblock and a doll. The cinderblock will obviously go a farther distance than the doll because since gravity is being defied for both objects, then the object with the greatest weight will fly farther because the greater weight will allow it to have a higher velocity when fired. This is applicable because both objects are being fired at the same velocity.

Back