The Happening Impressions

Reginald

Reaction score
So... one of my most hyped films of the year ending up to be one of the worst films I've ever seen.

The first sentence of the film "Which part was I at again?" was when I knew the film was awful. A woman who is already reading a book asks her friend what bit of the book she was up to. This is later revealed to be a symptom of the "attack" whereby the brain becomes confused. But her friend does not question the stupidity of this statement. It sounds like a small niggle, but it annoyed me.

Then came the awful acting. Mark Wahlberg, someone who normally puts up a good, if somewhat predictable, show, could almost be accused of camping it up with a silly voice and showing completely inappropriate emotions with little or no subtlety. And he's the best actor in it! Sure, the bird was fit but she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

There were some scares that showed some promise and the bits that the film will be remembered for, the suicides, are all very striking and sinister. But then it's followed by a shot of a character looking a little gormless or hamming up an incorrect emotion for the camera.

This film is going to get 3/10. 1 of those marks is because I almost couldn't breathe for laughter when an old woman starts smashing her head through a window in madness. It was supposed to be terrifying. The other two marks are for the few parts of the film that showed a glimmer of greatness which, if edited together, would make the best 2 minute long film in the world.

Those scenes are:
The policeman shooting himself, the gun clattering to the floor, another person walking over to it etc., the people falling from the construction site at the start, the view out of the side of the car window showing ladders leading up to trees and then the camera pans around to see the people having hung themselves, the car breaking to a halt then accelerating into a tree (very striking not actually seeing anyone - almost ruined by the comic relief dad getting out of the car and slashing his wrists a second later) and finally the shot of all the dead bodies in the road ahead.

For the record I didn't get any chills when we saw that the outbreak had moved to France. I just was thankful the film was over.

Verdict: 3/10

A shame.

P.S. I know there was a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

My wife and I are going to see this in about an hour and a half. I'll report back later this evening.

edit - ditto, a 3/10 is about right. This would make a good short science fiction story perhaps, but it doesn't have enough quality filler to make it a full-length movie.

It's about
plants releasing a toxin in the air that triggers people to kill themselves because the plants of the world are pissed at how humanity has treated them.
so I doubt anything good can come from that.

I haven't seen it yet, but every thing I've read so far has been awful. To quote another brillant reviewer:
mother ****ing mother ****ing mother ****ing mother ****ing mother ****ing

this movie sucked on so many levels that i can't even begin to explain how shitty it was. it was so lame. it was so STUPID. ****ING STUPID. this mother ****er made this crazy story and the ending was just straight up horse shit. STRAIGHT UP HORSESHIT

Okay, so what was the part in the preview where something is banging up against the house and Mark is all like "Oh man!" looking?

Okay, so what was the part in the preview where something is banging up against the house and Mark is all like "Oh man!" looking?

It's an old woman, smashing against the walls of the house. I thought the film had redeemed itself marginally by saying that
the plant toxins had become sentient and were trying to get into the house
but alas, it was just hilarious.

God he sucks SO MUCH. I have no idea hwo anyone could have been looking forward to this. I can't over how shitty he is, with everything other than the sixth sense

Wow, it was horrible...I cant decide what was worse, the $7 I spent on the movie or the $10 I spent on popcorn and a bottle of water!!

Got stopped at a DUI checkpoint on the way home and warned all the cops of the impending doom.....of this movie.

God he sucks SO MUCH. I have no idea hwo anyone could have been looking forward to this. I can't over how shitty he is, with everything other than the sixth sense

his quality started to waver at signs but i think unbreakable is a ****ing masterpiece and i think signs is quite good with just a bit of wooden dialogue here and there. i enjoyed the village aswell because it tried something different

never fancied lady in the water to be fair cos i'm not into fairytales but i like shymalan for trying stuff different. i do think this might be a poor show from what i've read though which is a real shame to be honest

I enjoyed Signs and The Sixth Sense... Unbreakable I'm indifferent to.

The rest suck.

The Lady In the Water was absolutely ridiculous, especially when the character he played a writer who heralds himself as someone who will inevitably change the world because he is so great of a writer. Absolutely ridiculous.

Also, the other parts of the movie sucked too.

This movie was a movie that should have been left at its trailer. Like someone said, several minutes of it could be combined into the best 2-5 minute featurette ever.

I mean, the trailer showed you EVERY FREAKING THING the movie showed, in less time with a smaller budget. Plus it was mildly enjoyable, unlike this thing.

My issues with the movie:

- RUN BEFORE THE BREEZE HITS YOU! KEEP AHEAD OF THE WIND!
- I just don't buy the plant story. And even if I did, it's really lame.
- The acting was amazingly bad. I wish they had an Oscar for "Worst Acting."
- If a person can guess the cause from the beginning of a movie, you should not make that movie. Or change the cause. Man, if it had been zombies, I would have been HAPPY. And that's saying something.
- The France thing made me think of 28 Weeks Later for some reason...

All in all, this is a move by him that makes Lady in the Water look good. And we all know that movie was pretty bad.

edit: Wtfux, sorry, accidentally hit quote instead of spoiler. Fixed.

- RUN BEFORE THE BREEZE HITS YOU! KEEP AHEAD OF THE WIND!
- I just don't buy the plant story. And even if I did, it's really lame.
- The acting was amazingly bad. I wish they had an Oscar for "Worst Acting."
- If a person can guess the cause from the beginning of a movie, you should not make that movie. Or change the cause. Man, if it had been zombies, I would have been HAPPY. And that's saying something.
- The France thing made me think of 28 Weeks Later for some reason...

They have the golden raspberry awards, which among other things honor the worst acting.

Did you guys not know who was directing it? What else could you expect?

Sixth Sense was good, Unbreakable was good, Signs was mediocre, and then after that his movies just nose-dived into shitville.

Sixth Sense was good, Unbreakable was good, Signs was mediocre, and then after that his movies just nose-dived into shitville.
Pretty much.

I thought the Village was pretty good up until the "reveal" though. If it was just a straight suspense/horror movie I would have liked it, but he had to ruin it by living up to his reputation.

Lady in the Water was so spectacularly crap that not even Paul Giamatti could save it. And I ****in love me some Paul Giamatti.

I thought maybe he could... come back.
Or something.

But apparently the first two decent movies (maybe three, Signs wasn't bad) were a fluke.

I think he's doing The Avatar next. I can't wait /sarcasm

Pretty much.

I thought the Village was pretty good up until the "reveal" though. If it was just a straight suspense/horror movie I would have liked it, but he had to ruin it by living up to his reputation.

Lady in the Water was so spectacularly crap that not even Paul Giamatti could save it. And I ****in love me some Paul Giamatti.

Yeah it was actually good, and I was enjoying it until the twists too. It was a great premise for a horror film, if only they kept it as horror.

Hmm, my parents were going to see that with me next weekend, but now I'm thinking maybe not.

I actually didn't think The Village was that bad. I never saw Lady in the Water. They both have good soundtracks though....

Signs great, I don't see why everybody dislikes it.
I mean aside from the obligatory twist which was a tiny bit lame.
It managed to stay suspenseful up until that point.

Signs great, I don't see why everybody dislikes it.
I mean aside from the obligatory twist which was a tiny bit lame.
It managed to stay suspenseful up until that point.

Signs was great until the reveal. I thoroughly enjoyed the buildup, but

Why would Aliens invade a planet that is mostly water if their main ****ing weakness is water? Also, how can such an advanced species not be able to master a ****ING DOOR?! The religious overtones at the end were stupid as well.

I saw the trailer for it on the cinema before Indiana Jones.

Everyone in the room laughed at the end:
"Could this really be happening?"
TITLE: "THE HAPPENING"

No way in hell I'm paying to go and see that movie.

I must hasten to add, I am so glad I saw this film for free. :)

It was awful, even worse than Lady in the water if that was possible... I really like Six Sense and The Village (clearly a very underrated film) but i'm losing all hope in shyamalan. He should stop writing, he's a good director, but the screenplay should be in charge of someone how knows what is doing.

3/10 for me.

Damn I realized I only ate about half of my $10 popcorn!!!

Plants?

We've Sensed It. We've Seen The Signs. Now... It's Happening.

From the trailer i was only paying half attention to, i thought it was about some invasion thing. But plants? oh man.
Skip it.

I went into this kind with low expectations but kind of half hoping Shamylamadingdong would some how surprise me and it would be a great movie.

this ****ing movie.

2/10

I thought Unbreakable was awsome, Sixth Sense and Signs were enjoyable. But just merely witnessing the trailer of this made me turn the other way, knew it was gash then and this just confirms it.

Signs was great until the reveal. I thoroughly enjoyed the buildup, but

Why would Aliens invade a planet that is mostly water if their main ****ing weakness is water? Also, how can such an advanced species not be able to master a ****ING DOOR?! The religious overtones at the end were stupid as well.

Think like this

Obviously if water was there weakness and they came to Earth they would have no idea about that weakness. Maybe there planet has no water?

Plants?

From the trailer i was only paying half attention to, i thought it was about some invasion thing. But plants? oh man.
Skip it.

Thats what I was hoping...some sort of invasion or virus...but the simple fact that M Night Shamalamamaman thinks that

plants can release something that will make us consciously go out of our way to kill ourselves in a complex fashion (instead of having us walk into traffic or something) is far-fetched, even for him..

I will say this, though...a few years ago I had a fern growing in my window....this thing grew barbs on the stems and it poked me one time in the finger and it swelled up instantly and stayed that way for like 3 days...

Think like this

Obviously if water was there weakness and they came to Earth they would have no idea about that weakness. Maybe there planet has no water?

They mastered intergalactic space travel in large quantities but couldnt figure out what they were allergic to??

Plants?

Skip it.

I just realized the puns relating back to his old movies in the tagline.

Thats what I was hoping...some sort of invasion or virus...but the simple fact that M Night Shamalamamaman thinks that

plants can release something that will make us consciously go out of our way to kill ourselves in a complex fashion (instead of having us walk into traffic or something) is far-fetched, even for him..

I will say this, though...a few years ago I had a fern growing in my window....this thing grew barbs on the stems and it poked me one time in the finger and it swelled up instantly and stayed that way for like 3 days...

If everyone was trying to walk into traffic, there wouldn't be any traffic to walk into [/twist ending]

Man, I had to see this movie in French! Even worse.
It was really really bad, the script is just not there, acting terrible, basic cinematography.
The little girl was not even needed to the story, she was just a burden, I wanted her to just drop dead.

The directing is basic at most, the only good shot was the one were people pick up a gun and start shooting themselfs one by one. The dialog was just lame ! some realy realy bad dialog and jokes that didn't even fit the mood of the film.

And the clich? ending in Paris... 28 weeks later any one?

BTW, did any one spot the director's cameo?

My weapon is my friend, it shall not leave me! My weapon is my friend, it shall not leave me!

I didn't think it was all that bad. The very beginning gives you an instant loss in hope for the rest of it, though D :

When I think horrendous movie, I think 'Doom'.

She sure didnt have a lot of blood to shank herself in the artery, did she?

Back