The Long Mile Mod

D

DangerMouse

The Long Mile is a modification for HalfLife2. The mod is based in Europe, during the 2nd world war, which we hope will offer an unprecidented environment. We want to make TLM as realistic as possible, with an atmopshere never before created. Initially we will be focusing on the British and German armies, with other nations to follow. We hope TLM will impress all gamers that want an authentic WW2 shooter, with realistic gameplay, sights and sounds.

Vacant Positions:
Modelers
Researchers
Skinners
Coders
Sound Engineers

Contact us at [email protected]
Join us on IRC Quakenet #tlm-mod

Well for a start, submerge, other WW2 mods are not of our interest! So how many there are does not concern us, and to be honest, you shouldnt let it concern you :) nietzsche, Using unique visuals and sounds will create a realistic environment. Having soldiers running around shooting etc, adds to the environment by creating a high-octane atmosphere. :D

Any more questions? Please post them and ill get back to them as soon as i can

Having soldiers running around shooting etc, adds to the environment by creating a high-octane atmosphere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all games have the above? Maybe you should re-think your design approach? You seem awefully vague at this point.

Valid point sirius, many games do have the above. But what i am trying to say, is we want to take it a step further. A game can never really be compared to reality i am sure you agree, but many games could do a lot better. We intend to take advantage of the mistakes in games that make them seem "fake".
We want to add lots of other features that makes the game play more of an experience. Many tweaks can be made on many aspects of current WW2 games, we want to go that 1 small step further by making everything tick over correctly.

could you go another "step further" and tell us about gameplay.. cause frankly id rather have a game that is fun to play then have a boring as hell game with good sound effects ect..

consentrate on your gameplay first then go into all the fine tuning ect

Hehe, thanks for your post pizza :) I didnt say we would be concentrating on the tuning of things first, i was just replying to sirius. Obviously, we want to create something that will be great to play, and very fun. The ideas for this mod are coming from what we want to see in a game, and i assure you, we are no different from you guys!

well i hope it will workout for you guys.. goodluck

Cant we let this d00d go ahead a make his mod ?, it dosent matter if its crap all that matters is that you have experienced the thrill of making your own HL2 mod, and also given something to the HL2 community.

Anyway, good luck!!

Originally posted by simmo2k3
and also given something to the HL2 community.

what? Another WW2 mod in an already overcrowded market?

There are WAY too many WW2 mods AND games around at the moment, and half of them will be overly technical and realistic and therefore boring, and the other half good, yet bringing nothing to the genre. But this said I don't wish you anything but good luck, as making a mod is a good experience, but please think of something that hasn't been done before AND better by someone else.

Thanks for all your posts guys, really appreciate it.

MrBadger, i totally agree with you mate. The WW2 genre is really overcrowded i know, but this is something we have been planning for a while now.

We were fed up of games that had some good features, but some bad aswell. So we came to the conclusion, that if we want a game to be as good as we want it to be, then lets make it ourselves.

We hope to stand out, and above the rest of the WW2 mods, (although i wish all modding teams luck) and offer some outstanding features. Features that will make the game realistic but really fun to play, with outstanding graphics.

With our website going up shortly, we hope that the community will give us some feedback on what they would really like to see in a WW2 game. Thanks again for your posts :)

What hasn't been done before? Every mod out there is just a slight variation of a another idea somewhere else. Whether it be inspiration from a TV show, movie, another game, era of time, or epic wars. It's extremely rare to find an original idea anymore.

On another note, saying that realistics games are boring is just from your point of view. There are 50,000 World War 2 online subscribers who would quickly disagree with you. Not to mention the thousands playing games like Rainbow Six every day. There's always a market for something, no matter how saturated the genre is.

The bottom line is, as long as someone finds entertainment in it, it will succeed.

I agree sirius. Realism doesnt have to be boring! I myself, run a clan that plays in Rainbow 6, 3 - Ravenshield. Infact a few of the TLM mod team are in the clan.

As i say, we want to take a load of the good things that we have seen in WW2 games, and take the bad bits and "tweak" them or even replace them with our own content.

As sirius says, if someone finds our mod entertaining, i will be more than happy! :)

I don't care if people make WWII mods but if DoD ports over to half-life 2 a lot of people will just look over you mods yes some will play but most will go to DoD.

mrBadger, you do realize that you don't HAVE to play this mod...
Maybe you should stop with the negative comments against mods that you are not interested in. Sure, you have the right to express yourself, but you shouldn't be an asshole about it. I don't comment on your mod because I am not interested in it. Maybe you should be glad I don't...

Anyways, Ghost Recon is another example of a realistic game that is fun as well. I would be constantly be playing it if the way you connected to the game wasn't so ****ed up.

Originally posted by Argyll
mrBadger, you do realize that you don't HAVE to play this mod...
Maybe you should stop with the negative comments against mods that you are not interested in. Sure, you have the right to express yourself, but you shouldn't be an asshole about it. I don't comment on your mod because I am not interested in it. Maybe you should be glad I don't...

Anyways, Ghost Recon is another example of a realistic game that is fun as well. I would be constantly be playing it if the way you connected to the game wasn't so ****ed up.

I like some realistic games... I just reckon some go a bit too far. Anyway... I don't mean to cuase offence.. I happen to believe that the gaming market in general is swamped by WW2 games.. and the mod community is swamped too.... I have enjoyed some realistic games.... I AM interested in this mod... I am interested in most mods... so I give my opinion

Back