Soooooooo borderlands with jet packs?

Looks pretty fun.

Arcadey action
Co-op/multiplayer
Large world to explore
Stylised visuals

4137274551_1d12ab907d.jpg

Minus the voices

This is right up my alley. Unfortunately, it's coming out in the same year as Diablo 3 (supposedly!), so I probably won't be playing it very much.

Am I crazy, or are games just meshing different parts of popular games? Seems like every "new franchise" is just like... 3 or 4 other games' best ideas put in to one. Seems like at one point every new game that comes out will just be the same game with a different name that doesn't make any sense. Also, why are developers making high end CGI over a year before a game shows up?

Anyways it looks alright. Nothing that I'd dream about playing but something I'm sure I'd enjoy. I don't see much tribes in it except the jet packs and he jet packs don't seem to be as important or as effective as they were in Tribes. I guess not every company has to make games like their old games, but that was the best part of Tribes.

Yeah, I could get behind this. Tribes V was great. I'll be playing.

Minus the voices.

Looks pretty cool. For something made by the Tribes guys I'm sad to see jetpacks don't appear to be very important or central to the gameplay.

Looks interesting. I registered on the forum, will give beta a try if i get in.

Looks cool, shame though that they make the game itself free-to-play, but the market portion of the game etc reliant on micro-transactions, I am NOT a fan of micro-transactions.

Wait... WAIT.

Firefall is a "team-based action shooter" featuring "hundreds of players" completing objectives and battling to the death in a "dynamic open world."

The title is free-to-play and relies on an in-game marketplace for profit.
That was an MMO?! I mean, MMO-lite I guess, considering it's hundreds of people instead of thousands, but that still looked incredibly slick for something that isn't just your typical 4 player coop.

Definitely interested.

I keep reading the "Melding" as "THE MEDDLING". It's much more amusing and makes the absurd premise relatively digestible for those of us with brains.

Looks cool, shame though that they make the game itself free-to-play, but the market portion of the game etc reliant on micro-transactions, I am NOT a fan of micro-transactions.

Micro-transaction games are best when in beta ;)

Looks pretty neat. The art style looks a bit better than borderlands and the environments are really nice. Looks like it would be fun to play for free, so I probably will.
I was disappointed by the lack of flying though. It seems like the jetpacks are just used for boosting jump height.

Don't forget micro-transactions for equipment/items!

That's a huge pro!

You know Gargantou I was just thinking of that. I have a suspicion that there is not going to be any ingame currency and everything you buy from npc vendors is going to cost you real dollars and cents. They really will crack your little soul.

At least from what we saw in the video there will be some equipment drops from killing monsters.

Well,
How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

Makes it sound like it'll just be flavour items and others with negligible impact or perhaps an equal alternative to some drops, though it could ofc be marketing BS.

As long as money is only used for a) aesthetic upgrades and b) fast-tracking your XP and in-game currency account, I'm cool with it. As soon as it's apparent that money creates a second equipment tier, I'm going to forget this game exists.

sweet, signed up now just got to wait for the Beta to be released

I hate micro transactions so much. All it ever does it make a game that favors people with unlimited cash that can just buy all the best shits. The first game I saw it in was 10six ... where essentially you could buy your way to success. I just think that the whole "give us more money for better shit" thing detracts from even the slightest bit of fun a game could muster. They put it in games when they want to make money and don't care at all about the imbalance it causes.

I was tryin to be all cool and unimpressed but then they all got in the hovercraft and I fell in love.

I hate micro transactions so much. All it ever does it make a game that favors people with unlimited cash that can just buy all the best shits. The first game I saw it in was 10six ... where essentially you could buy your way to success. I just think that the whole "give us more money for better shit" thing detracts from even the slightest bit of fun a game could muster. They put it in games when they want to make money and don't care at all about the imbalance it causes.

No it works ok in some games. Like in one I'm beta testing it simply allows things like faster progression (relative to the amount of time you play) and various other time-saving and flavour options such as changing appearance of certain things - nothing useful is unavailable to non-paying players, it's just the amount of progression they can make per hour playing is a bit more.
Still, I'll reserve judgement as to how well they implement it. Either way, we should get a bunch of .netters in beta if possible and play there - sooner and entirely for free ;)

Worked fine in League of Legends. Pay cash money to add heroes to your account permanently, with free heroes rotating each week so you can try before you buy. There were also XP boosts and stuff that lasted a set amount of time, and extra skins which you could only buy for cash. These in no way affected the game-to-game balance, but offered a nice revenue flow for continued development (sorry, I mean FILTHY DIRTY CASH DOLLARS FOR THEM TO PUT IN THEIR RICH **** MONEY POOL ARRRRGGGHHHH).

Of course, the game is still an unbalanced mess, but that has nothing to do with micro-transactions. ;)

Well I'll definitely trythis when I have a comp to run it, assuming one can still sign up for the beta then or try the game some other way.

Worked fine in League of Legends. Pay cash money to add heroes to your account permanently, with free heroes rotating each week so you can try before you buy. There were also XP boosts and stuff that lasted a set amount of time, and extra skins which you could only buy for cash. These in no way affected the game-to-game balance, but offered a nice revenue flow for continued development (sorry, I mean FILTHY DIRTY CASH DOLLARS FOR THEM TO PUT IN THEIR RICH **** MONEY POOL ARRRRGGGHHHH).

Of course, the game is still an unbalanced mess, but that has nothing to do with micro-transactions. ;)

Ah cool I forgot I haven't played every game ever created with micro transactions. It's so weird that game development and publishing companies have gone from dudes in basements to multi billion dollar a year companies without payments being exclusively micro transactions. I guess just making a good game and charging money for barely letting these people break even... poor guys...

I'll only play it if there are spinfusors

looks very promising
and it's a PC exclusive right? always a good thing

I have to say, that trailer made it look dumb as hell.

Haha, wow, yeah don't even try to save your black friend or anything. TEAMWORK.

Also, I don't think I even need to comment on this:

firefall.jpg

Haha, wow, yeah don't even try to save your black friend or anything. TEAMWORK.

Also, I don't think I even need to comment on this:

firefall.jpg

What's wrong with that? It is kind of a stupid name for anything ever but I'm pretty sure all of the decent names in the world are now registered trademarks. Other than that it just looks like a logo...

Hmm, could've sworn it looked identical to the Starcraft logo, but I can't find one that resembles that now. Maybe I'm thinking of another game...

Meh, nevermind.
picture.php

I guess it kind of resembles the Starcraft font:
StarCraft-logo.jpg

But of course that font is somewhat similar to the Star Trek font. I can't blame them though... it's a nice font

Back