The most "perfect" album of all time

Not that it's relevant, but I looked up reviews of The Downward Spiral, and some of these people are idiots. One person called Closer "a pediphile's best tool for luring in 13 year old drama queens. laughably unsexy to anyone of any sexual maturity."

:|

I am actually kind of angry right now.

Just take it out on your 13 year old.

:LOL: This guy is unbelievable. He thinks Star****ers, Inc. is about Starbucks.

Haha. I find them next to unlistenable. It just sounds like a terrible waste of potential - often very lyrically impressive, but musically boring, Hurt is around x100 better when it was covered by Johnny Cash.
Some songs are alright, but I think Reznor is immensely overrated.

often very lyrically impressive, but musically boring
D:
D:
D:

I find them to be kind of the opposite. Just that he works with so many different instruments, keys, and time signatures, with densely layered melodies and harmonies in every song. Because of this, I think of Reznor as a sort of modern-day equivalent to Mozart or Bach.

If you listen to Only, Right Where It Belongs, The Becoming, Piggy, La Mer, Ripe (With Decay), All The Love In The World, We're In This Together, and A Warm Place, it's easy to see the broad range of styles and structures that he works with. IMO, no other artist today can even come close to this kind of musical diversity, let alone the quality of his work.

That said, his lyrics do have room for improvement. I usually like his lyrics a lot, but they don't have the consistency of his instrumental/technical work, and a few songs just don't work very well (notably No, You Don't) - I tend to skip those three or four songs when I come across them :p

Bear in mind, I've only really heard Closer, Hurt, Head Like A Hole, and The Hand That Feeds. I can tell I won't like the style of the band etc :)

I adore the lyrics for Hurt, but loathe the actual song/style.

Incubus - Light Grenades

Its a mixture of all the stuff that makes the band great. Any decent album youve heard from them in the past can all be identified in the songs on this album. I just cant stop listening to it.

As Stig said, to each his own. However: I'm actually surprised at the opinions here. From a non-fanboyish point of view (hard to do for me), I can see the diversity, quality and sequential genius of Trent's work. I agree that the lyrics can be somewhat "meh". Listening to a few songs here and there won't do NIN justice. His songs are lined up to make a dreamlike sequence of music. Saying "you have to listen to the entire album to get it" is inane considering no one will actually listen to an entire album, having a previous opinion about the music. Hell, if someone said that to me (to listen to a whole album of a band I particularly didn't enjoy before), I'd hesitate to do so.

Bear in mind, I've only really heard Closer, Hurt, Head Like A Hole, and The Hand That Feeds. I can tell I won't like the style of the band etc :)

I adore the lyrics for Hurt, but loathe the actual song/style.

Those four songs are hardly an indicator of NIN's variety.

lollers..
:p I meant that in a sort of pop-music sense. Back a few hundred years ago, orchestral works were "pop" music, and Bach/Mozart/etc were the auteurs. Reznor is, IMO, the closest thing we have to a modern equivalent.

And yes, Badger, you happened to choose the most iconic and, oddly enough, most un-varied cross-section of NIN.

Steely Dan- Aja
Explosions in the Sky- Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever
Boards of Canada- Music Has The Right To Children
Broken Social Scene- Self-Titled
Sufjan Stevens- Illinois

I think I'm going to have to add Isis - In The Absence of Truth, and perhaps Oceanic. Both are stunning in terms of music, lyrics, the general flow of the album, the positioning of the songs. I'd say they are perfect.

The Rescue by Explosions in the Sky. I can't believe these guys wer able to record such awesomeness in just one-ish week.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

or

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Probably already said: Daft Punk - Discovery.
Absolutely earthshattering in terms of funk, electro and music in a whole.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Queen - Made in Heaven

Metallica - And Justice for All

Dark Side for sure.

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place (EP) is hugely listenable from start to finish (Those Who Tell the Truth... also, except for I always skip the second to last track).

Also, Dream Theatre - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Disc 1. Not so much for the flow but it just has a perfect balance of tracks (despite there only being 5... though it's still close to a full length album on it's own :D).

Edit - Oh, and how could I forget Beatles - Abbey Road. It lulls a bit in a couple places but by and large it has an awesome flow to it. I never listen to any one song individually, it's always the whole album with this one.

Muse: Origin of Symmetry, songs flow together perfectly, great songs too xD

Muse: Origin of Symmetry, songs flow together perfectly, great songs too xD
Oh, YUSS! Not sure if that one's perfect, but it's very very good. Definitely their best atleast.

Back