The New Art Contest #1: Entry Thread

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
The New HL2.net Art Contest
beretssmallxm1.jpg

-=Entry Thread=-

This thread is reserved for contest entries only.
To discuss the contest, go to this thread. Any irrelevant posts will be moved or deleted.

Topic: Create a vision of City 17 in your own way.
As this is the first contest, the topic is deliberately vague. You could draw a fight scene, paint a decapitated building or Photoshop a picture you took. It doesn't even have to feature the city itself, so long as you capture the atmosphere and "feel" of life there. Remember, it must be HL2 themed.

Closing date: This thread will be closed on Sunday the 9th of September at 12pm GMT. The contest is therefore open for two weeks.

Winning entry: Currently there is no physical prize, however, the winner will be mentioned on the front page of the site (and is guaranteed one (1) warm fuzzy feeling).

Voting: As soon as all of the entries have been received, a public poll will be created to decide the winner.

Rules:
  • Only one entry per user.
  • All work must be your own.
  • Entries which are not relevant to the above topic will be disqualified.
  • You may use any form of art; pencils, pastels, paint, photography, digital art... you name it.
  • Post your finished entry in this thread, preferably by attaching it rather than hosting it on an image hosting site.
  • The winner will be decided by a public poll, either in a new thread or added to the discussion thread. Obviously, you are not allowed to vote for yourself. Doing so may result in disqualification.
  • Entries must be of a certain quality; scribbles or paint doodles will not be accepted.
  • NO GARRY'S MOD SCREENS.

Note: The winner may be asked to provide proof that the work is actually theirs. Therefore, be sure to keep the originals of anything you do, or the layers if you are painting in photoshop. If you are using photographs, take one shot of yourself or your hand in the scene.

UPDATE:The contest deadline has been extended until September the 9th, making it last two weeks in total.

UPDATE:There is now a quality threshold for entries. This means any entries which have obviously been sprawled in paint in about 5 minutes will be moved to the discussion thread. Please take this competition seriously.

My entry

Hello,
I would like to enter this contest with following picture:

DecayPhase.jpg

(You can find bigger version in the attachment.)

Worked on it about 5 hours yesterday, and today I completed it.

Programs used: Corel Painter X, Adobe Photoshop CS3.
I used this picture as a reference for the building. (It's just a photo of abandoned hotel that I took)

I took a few work in progress screens:

Attachments

• DecayPhase_small.jpg
    DecayPhase_small.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 355
sketch_hl2netfinal.jpg

Hi guys,
I made it in Photoshop CS1. Took me 10 - 12 hours to finish.

I liked the colours Kojima used in the first MGS4 movie, soo i tryed using that colour scheme for City 17.

I had to enter now, school's shit is about to hit the fan.
:p

-dodo Felix van den Bergh

sketch_hl2_4pics.jpg

I submit:

City17-1.jpg

It's not so good, but I spent some time on Photoshop CS with my tablet to get it.

No original picture, just based off a lot of concept art.

Attachments

• City17.jpg
    City17.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 307
Well here it is. 60+ hours of work, all ms-paint, the first outside area of the game rendered in isometric pixel art.

It was too big to attach, so I uploaded it to my ftp.

Scaled 2x so you can see the details.

O2Tu6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O2Tu6.jpg

It's missing some things like the combine bridge that should be in the top right, and the overlook thing. But I worked right up to the minute on this, and I couldn't fit the time. Oh well.

city 17

1351101560_2b7727661b_b.jpg

more production images added later
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4632/pict0218mv4.jpg
light probes and 3d rendering (took 50 mins to render)

1351114604_c6096466e0_o.jpg

total time: 11 hrs working time

Procedure:
1. Take photo
2. Use mirrored ball to take light probe image
3. Use Gimp software for placing images and editing
4. Use 3dsmax for 3d models
5. Mental Ray used for rendering
6. Use Picasa for post processing (lol)

Back