The new demo weapons:

They look shitty and not TF2-ish :(

Kinda like a bow? I doubted the idea for 5 secs, then realized it was awesome except: Wtf does this have to do with the demo (aside from being scottish) gameplay wise?

helps with the argument that TF2 is becoming more like an RPG for sure. And if you type RPG into Google images you find the soldiers weapon...

Its the style of Broadsword from Braveheart... God I love Valve.

Awesome weapons. Although like Chimpmunk I don't really see what a sword and shield have to do with the core gameplay of the demo. Unless the sword is devastating against sentries ofc.

Here's an odd idea, maybe the new weapons are meant to allow variety in the Demo's gameplay? Like the Hunter's Bow, or Spy's alternate watches.

Here's an odd idea, maybe the new weapons are meant to allow variety in the Demo's gameplay? Like the Hunter's Bow, or Spy's alternate watches.

Now thats just crazy talk!

Honestly... variety in gameplay? Who on earth would want that?:rolling:

Anyway, looks like it could be alot of fun and an entirely melee based class could really mix things up.

I don't think the demo becomes completely melee orientated, would he? That would seem like a better idea for the Scout if anything.

Now thats just crazy talk!

Honestly... variety in gameplay? Who on earth would want that?:rolling:

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking! Clearly Valve just don't have a clue about what they're doing. :(

Maybe it is all...part of the...greater...

Yeah I am stopping myself here, no point in continuing...
Waiting seems to be the cure for everything Valve releases with mystery.

The comics continue to be hilarious:

It wasn't easy bring you up Scottish, lad. Lean years. In those days you could bomb mercs all day and still not have enough for a load of bread. Yer da walked fifteen miles in the rain to blow up the Queen of England for a NICKEL!

really I was hoping for more explosive stuff but the sword seems heaps better than the bottle which might unbalance the demoman...

really I was hoping for more explosive stuff but the sword seems heaps better than the bottle which might unbalance the demoman...

Possibly, but if you take the sword you take the associated health hit which means if you want to keep your stickies you're disadvantaged at range. I don't see it being overpowered without the damaged reductions, crits & charge you get with the shield (which of course means you loose your stickies of doom)

Someone mentioned on Kotaku that this melee weapon set effectively creates a 10th class because of the change to speed and health. A very interesting way of looking at this update.

I'm curious to know what the other unlock will be for the demo. Will he get something explosive as well?

And I'm not too sure about the melee weapon lowering the health of the demo (remember how they realized having the backburner giving you more HP was overpowered, well it's the same thing but the opposite way). To hit with a melee weapon you need to get close to the enemy, and that means getting shot at.

But with the shield you have more damage resistance to fire and explosives, so you'll take less damage, it kinda balances out, unless bullets come your way.

how long does the max health boost last for after beheading some people. though that would be good to know

I was under the impression that it would be permanent till the demo dies(sorta putting back in the original idea for alt. medic-gun)

btw I think the comic might hint at the last weapon as well...in one of the panel you see the rest of the gear the demo has received...the third one has its label partly obscured it says "Sco....Res", let the speculating begin...it's fairly safe to assume that the first word is "scottish" and then we can all guess what the other will be...

ps. was anyone else hoping that the demo would receive a Haggish-bomb?

The box pictured farthest away is pretty big....Maybe the Engineer is waiting, ready to pop out!

One of the main things that valve wanted to do with the whole war update is make the demo easyer to play for newbies which is what the new sword and shield is for.

Well I've always thought that the Demoman is an easy class to play. It only needs a little prediction to be played well. As for what comes to the new weapons, I really can't say anything about them for sure until I get a little test in real gameplay. The new weapons introduce a cool idea, though. I hope the Soldier gets something different, not just the same scrap as the Demoman but reversed and altered a bit.

helps with the argument that TF2 is becoming more like an RPG for sure. And if you type RPG into Google images you find the soldiers weapon...

You know, RPG means rocket-propelled grenade, the kind of weapon the soldier uses...

Demo will get proximity bombs. Just line it up and push someone through the field.

I still want the TNT bundle like we saw in the early trailers.

Invisibilty watch -> Slightly different invisibility watch

Grenade launcher -> Shield for charge attacks

There really isn't enough information or experience here to determine whether this will be a poor addition to the demoman's gameplay or whether it will be very undemo-ish, but it certainly isn't impossible. For every class there is a core gameplay to respect and creating variety outside of that core doesn't work.

The Ambassador

Invisibilty watch -> Slightly different invisibility watch

Grenade launcher -> Shield for charge attacks
The different watches' effects on Spy gameplay are more than "slight", particularly the Dead Ringer.

Well yes, because one's overpowered and the other's broken.

So who's got a feeling the third weapon will go in the targe's slot, too?

I hope not, I don't like unnecessary extras without making alts for every slot.

The Direct Hit is about 100 times better than these weapons, 2 weapons based only around melee combat? Pfft. Now the demoman only has 1 unlockable gun, and the soldier will most likely have atleast 2. Not to mention the Soldier's extra gun he will get from winning ;)

Back