The official ANDROID thread!

So, ordered the Archos 101 for the GF on V-Day. Really, we will both be using it. Also, think I got a co-worker (With an iPhone) interested in Android Tablets.

*EDIT* The piece should be delivered tomorrow...we'll see. These things are in SUCH short supply.

anyone know how to acces my Incredible if it's connected to my home network?
I lost my usb cable and I'm trying to get some pics off of it.

anyone know how to acces my Incredible if it's connected to my home network?
I lost my usb cable and I'm trying to get some pics off of it.

You could just email the pics to yourself.

Dropbox works fine. Upload files to the folder and bam it uploads them to my other three computers.

Facebook will indeed
Dropbox works fine. Upload files to the folder and bam it uploads them to my other three computers.
Which is why he should use this. One of my most used apps. So very quick for moving content between my phone and PC / laptop.

I reinstalled Handcent. It works the best for messaging especially since I've hit the 15k+ messages with one person. With Handcent it only loads up like the last 50 messages or so and its so much smoother and faster to send quick messages

I suggest all of you try GOsms. I feel as though it's the best SMS app at the momento.

EDIT: Also, bundle in Go Launcher EX, and you have a pretty wonderful app set.

Xoom 800€ and Lg Optimus Pad 890€... HAA HAA HAA! **** you! I'm getting an iPad, hell, with that price I can get two of them, just for lulz!

Xoom 800€ and Lg Optimus Pad 890€... HAA HAA HAA! **** you! I'm getting an iPad, hell, with that price I can get two of them, just for lulz!

So you can multitask, right?

And why would you pay that much for a stupid pad, for that you can get a freaking laptop.

So you can multitask, right?

And why would you pay that much for a stupid pad, for that you can get a freaking laptop.

Mostly because there's nothing on a laptop I want to do that I can't do with a tablet. I only use my laptop for reading, surfing and sometimes for movies and music, for reading and surfing it's clumsy. Granted, I'm not going to pay 800€ for a tablet, 500e is the maximum and the iPad is going for around 370€ now.

Yeah, I hate tabs that come with a carrier data plan. they are always so damn expensive. I'd just want one with ONLY WIFI. That will make it so much cheaper.

You can tether through unrooted phones anyways.

Yeah, I hate tabs that come with a carrier data plan. they are always so damn expensive. I'd just want one with ONLY WIFI. That will make it so much cheaper.

Actually it's quite the opposite here in frozen hell. At least for phones, I got my Desire 300€ cheaper than trough a shop when buying it from an operator. Unlimited speed (well what the network gives, usually 5Mb, if lucky) and data, free phone calls for 4€/month + 300€ cheaper phone. I hope they'll do the same with tablets.

I bought a tab without a data plan no problem. I just needed the wifi also.

You can tether through unrooted phones anyways.

EasyTether does it for me :D

Also I got myself a 16GB microSD card but I'm just waiting for it to arrive. the 2GB microSD card that I have just doesn't cut it anymore

I bought a tab without a data plan no problem. I just needed the wifi also.

Damnit. I would have waited for the Xoom then!!! FUUUUU

On another note, the Thunderbolt just got released. I'm going to go play with it after work. Might just end up buying it....we shall see.

Well, I caved in and got the ThunderBolt. It's such an amazing phone...love it so far. Also, as of 11:00 PM last night, perm root has been had. Can't wait until release.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 192632_10150120966557512_505342511_6350087_7209679_o.jpg
    192632_10150120966557512_505342511_6350087_7209679_o.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 777
Well, I caved in and got the ThunderBolt. It's such an amazing phone...love it so far. Also, as of 11:00 PM last night, perm root has been had. Can't wait until release.
attachment.php

You let me know how that battery life is. I hear it's... quite dreadful. Do you live in a 4G area?

No 4G. So far battery life seems like normal "New phone". I'll have to give it a few drain/charge days for the phone to get a solid read on the battery. I've been playing with it pretty much constantly, and it's been unplugged for about 3 hours now. 87%.

No 4G. So far battery life seems like normal "New phone". I'll have to give it a few drain/charge days for the phone to get a solid read on the battery. I've been playing with it pretty much constantly, and it's been unplugged for about 3 hours now. 87%.

Oh wow. That's pretty good... Well, then again you don't have 4G. I read a review where they kept track by hour with moderate/heavy usage and they got 5 hours or less (don't remember) on it with LTE connection. Try calling someone and getting on the internet. I hear it works on that phone, but I'm not sure if it's 4G net + 3G voice. Anyway, definitely keep me updated on your 'real world' usage with that phone. I know it takes about a week to break the battery/phone in to a good charge. I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you papa bear.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=987521

Though I'm not sure if MIUI is to be trusted, at least the ROM they make sounds like a typical Chinese scam. One guy at XDA posted something interesting about it. Changing the kernel would break system logging, basically meaning, that MIUI doesn't want you to know what they do in your system.

Almost related news; I got a job as an Android developer, I'm working full time on Android now. If I get any slick devices *cough Xoom cough* I'll post some images in here. Never been so happy about a job, I can do stuff I always do at my free time and they pay me for it :D

Oh wow. That's pretty good... Well, then again you don't have 4G. I read a review where they kept track by hour with moderate/heavy usage and they got 5 hours or less (don't remember) on it with LTE connection. Try calling someone and getting on the internet. I hear it works on that phone, but I'm not sure if it's 4G net + 3G voice. Anyway, definitely keep me updated on your 'real world' usage with that phone. I know it takes about a week to break the battery/phone in to a good charge. I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you papa bear.

I haven't heard that low of time. People have said it lasts then half a day. Someone said theirs, under normal use with 4g, lasted from wake up to sleep.

Yes Voice/Data work at the same time on this phone. Should work with any phone capable of 4G on Verizon.

I thinking of rooting my htc magic + from rogers, do any of you guys have a recommendation of which one to go for and what my phone would be capable of doing. I dropped out of the loop for a bit.

I called Verizon and asked what my ETF fee would be, in order to switch to Sprint for a new phone (which I really am considering), and the guy I talked to flagged my account for an upgrade, which I wouldn't have been able to do until October. My OG Droid is really starting to chug. I'm going to wait until may-june, for all the new dual core phones. There are a ridiculous amount upcoming Android phones on the way though. Here are my top choices from Sprint and Verizon (avoiding AT&T and now T-Mobile):

Motorola Droid Bionic
Motorola-Droid-Bionic1.jpg

Specs:
Screen: 4.3" qHD (960x540)
CPU: 1 Ghz dual-core (Tegra 2)
RAM: 512 MB
Storage: 14 GB internal, additional 32 GB supported
Camera(s): 8 MP front, 0.3 MP rear
Battery: 1930 mAh
Network: 4G LTE

Sprint Evo 3D
Sprint-HTC-EVO-4G.jpg

Specs:
Screen: 4.3" 3D qHD (960x540)
CPU: 1.2 Ghz dual-core (Snapdragon)
RAM: 1024 MB
Storage: 4 GB internal, additional 32 GB supported
Camera(s): Dual 5 MP rear, 1.3 MP front
Battery: 1730 mAh
Network: 4G WiMAX

Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung-Galaxy-S2-Phone.jpg

Specs:
Screen: 4.3" Super AMOLED (480x800)
CPU: 1 Ghz dual-core (Cortex A9)
RAM: 1024 MB
Storage: 16/32 GB internal, additional 32 GB supported
Camera(s): 8 MP rear, 2 MP front
Battery: 1650 mAh
Network: 4G WiMAX

I'm really leaning towards the Evo 3D. Despite its lack of internal storage, its other specs are killer, and the 3D capabilities are icing. There are a few more excellent phones on the horizon as well, and I may add them once I get some more details.

After seeing my girlfriends Galaxy S I'd say stay the **** away from Samsung. No updates, best hardware on the market on purchase and still lags like hell.

I'd say the Bionic for the sexy dual-core and sexy 4G LTE. But, hey.. I own an iPhone 4. My word doesn't really count towards anything here.

And I know enough about the Evo, from reviews and whatnot, that the battery life is basically pure shit. Have they countered this in the "3D" version? I actually met a friend last semester, in some Spanish class, that said he had to carry around two extra batteries during the day to keep his Evo alive. Also, none of my friends seem to like Sprint's service or their pseudo-4G coverage. It's a bit odd because we all live in the middle of Chicago. You'd expect coverage to be better.

I'd say the Bionic for the sexy dual-core and sexy 4G LTE. But, hey.. I own an iPhone 4. My word doesn't really count towards anything here.

And I know enough about the Evo, from reviews and whatnot, that the battery life is basically pure shit. Have they countered this in the "3D" version? I actually met a friend last semester, in some Spanish class, that said he had to carry around two extra batteries during the day to keep his Evo alive. Also, none of my friends seem to like Sprint's service or their pseudo-4G coverage. It's a bit odd because we all live in the middle of Chicago. You'd expect coverage to be better.

I agree with what this guy says. I'd say stay away from most HTC devices unless you hear otherwise about the battery capacity. I know getting a Bionic would be just as bad if you're looking for a device easily hackable since Motorola seemed to have developed an incrackable method. LG is releasing a pretty sweet phone for VZW soon here, but once again, they're poop at updates.

Honestly, if you're keen on hacking, then go with the Samsung and hack away because those along with HTCs are the most easily hackable. :)

I am getting the Nexus S in one or two weeks. Which is basically a sleeker Galaxy S without all the Samsung hassle. It is about time I had a new phone too. I am still using my log of a G1 that can't handle more than Android 1.6 or so.

Updates really aren't an issue if the phone is hackable, and I'll likely be waiting before I make any purchase to see which phone(s) allow for it. As far as battery life, the Evo had a 1500 mAh battery stock, and the Evo 3d's is a bit better. HTC has also claimed that it will sport improved battery life, but we'll see what happens given the thunderbolt. The Evo 3D is also the only one of the three that has independently operating cores. 512 MB of ram on the Bionic somewhat draws me away from it, but Verizon's network is so much better than Sprint's out here. We won't be getting LTE in my city until late this year though. I really wish this were an easier decision.

Playing around with my HTC Thunderbolt, the battery seems to have tamed down. As long as you're not in a 4G area, the phone is normal (I can go through a full day without charge until sleepy time). Sure, that's no excuse if you are in a 4G area, but I don't think it's as bad as people are exploding about.

I am getting the Nexus S in one or two weeks. Which is basically a sleeker Galaxy S without all the Samsung hassle. It is about time I had a new phone too. I am still using my log of a G1 that can't handle more than Android 1.6 or so.

It arrived today. It is so sexeh! I'll post some pics tonight.

For those of you that use Google Voice, have you figured out how to get SMS messages tent to your Voice number to go through your SMS app rather then your Voice app? It's really annoying to have some messages go through Go SMS and the rest though Voice.

So, I use IRC sometimes, but suddenly none of the IRC apps will connect. Mibbit works, strangely enough,(I am fulltime on a tethered connection on my laptop to do stuff) but all non-browser programs (tried chatzilla, mirc, kvirc, and two android apps) fail to connect to any server. Weird, since it has worked before, if it was a bit spotty. I'm on the Droid 3 on Verizon.

So, the root bug got me again. Rooted my Thunderbolt with B.A.M.F. Ooohh man, 1.5 ghz is sex.

Back