The official ANDROID thread!

Hmm, after installing gives me an error saying swype for evo is already available using the latest over the air update. Downloading update now.

Limit, use Doubletwist. I think It's free (either that or its really cheap) and if you download the PC application, you can sync your itunes lists to it directly.

It's free mostly, you can sync via wifi with the paid version but is that really so important?

Just got a Droid Incredible the other day.

So far the only app I downloaded was ESPN Scorecenter :/

I really haven't much of an idea of whats what on this phone, managed to figure out the menus and get my email/facebook setup though so thats good. :D

I really haven't much of an idea of whats what on this phone, managed to figure out the menus and get my email/facebook setup though so thats good. :D

Well, if you ever need ANY help, email me. That's the quickest way to get to me, but I know a lot about Android and the Inc because my mother has the Inc. Anyway, if you ever need any help, I'd be glad to assist.

[email protected]

:)

Camera Fun Pro is one of the best camera tools to use. it has many effects for the camera
Chordbot Lite is a fun music making program
EasyTether is a free Tethering service :D
Ebay for obvious reasons
Engadget is sweet for tech news
Facebook (download it its better than stock version)
Galcon is one of the best games for Android
Gameboid Lite for Gameboy games
JustinTV will let you record live to the internet
Laputa is a free and easy to use book reader
Lyrics App for music lyrics
Minecraft Canary if you love Minecraft
Nesoid Lite for NES games
Photobucket if you like uploading fast pics to the internet
RealCalc for calculator functions, very simple
Rom Gripper for Rom downloads
Scanner Radio for local and national over the air transmissions: fire, police, emt
Skype Mobile for when you run out of minutes
SNesoid the best emulator imo
Solo Lite is a nice guitar player
SteamCompanion for steam
Stopwatch for obvious reasons
SwiftKey imo the best keyboard app
Task Manager controls tasks
The Weather Channel- gives you alerts on your phone when impending doom is approaching. this app saved my ass so many times.
Tricorder---fun little tool
Uninstaller-important for getting rid of annoying programs
Vlingo Voice- speak to the phone/hands free for directions, places, etc
WinAmp-one of the best music players and it syncs itunes in your house
Youtube-yay for youtube :D

those are only a handful of the ones i use regularly

Thanks Shamrock and Warped!

I love this scanner app (set it to my counties EMS), but it seems someone is sitting on their walkie-talkie with the talk button pressed. :/

Also, what is a Rom download and a tethering service?

Well last night as I wanted to sync my playlist I had issues, winamp wouldn't copy the actual music. I've been trying to ditch my old ipod touch for a while now trying all sorts of things but I just can't find a good way to keep my phone synced properly. Really frustrating.

I'm not quite sure about automatically syncing, but you can just drag/drop the files onto your SD card.

The problem I have with that is that I like to have everything in playlists. So I need a program that will manage those. WinAmp seems like it gets screwed up on certain files. I can add a number of songs just fine but others will either crash it or they will get stuck during the transfer process. And all are the same MP3 format. Weird stuff.

After using the HTC Desire for a few months I've been struggling with one problem: SPACE. Updating the phone is a pain in the ass since I have to uninstall programs to get the 25Mb of free space (which feels like 90% of the space). I think I got less than 20 programs installed and only two of them are over 10Mb (swype and Dungeon Defenders). Feels like driving a Lamborghini but it has the engine of a Lada...

Other things are related to the Market, I would like to see an option to save free programs. It's really annoying to wipe the phone and then remember that I had like 15 free programs that I need to find again. Sure you wipe the phone rarely, but a feature like this should be trivial to make. Another thing related to the market is the auto-updating. Does it even work? My phone has never downloaded an update by itself (I've allowed update on all programs). Once I didn't download the update and tried if it would get it, but no, after like 12h the program was still not updated.

For space, why don't you just move apps to the SD card? Same problem with the Droid 1, it has shit for internal space. I just moved most of my apps to the SD card and have been OK since.

As for backing up your apps, if you aren't Rooted *Why not?*, you can download Astro File Manager and there is a backup feature there. Personally, I use Titanium Backup *Since I'm rooted* and it's badass. I wipe my phone ever couple weeks since I have ROM updates and I like to try out new ROMs often.

I want this way too much:

playstation-phone.jpg

Something odd has happened with my desire and its really annoying.

For some reason out of the blue it has started to run lots of app's in the background which it never used to. As soon as I run task killer it kills about 12 apps when then all start up again with in 5 mins, it never used to do this.

It runs:
Stocks
Footprints
Facebook
Peep
Settings
Maps
Friend Stream
And a few more,

It never used to do this and seems to have started doing it over night, I got AVG installed and did some scans but nothing was found. Its annoying because its raping the battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks Shamrock and Warped!

I love this scanner app (set it to my counties EMS), but it seems someone is sitting on their walkie-talkie with the talk button pressed. :/

Also, what is a Rom download and a tethering service?

Sorry for the late reply, Rom downloaders will download game files to your phone. so if you had an emulator ex: Gameboy, NES, SNES, Genesis (the actual program name is different than the game console they are emulating) then you could play literally thousands of games on your phone. A tethering Service is like creating a WIFI hotspot wherever your phone is. So if your camping in the woods, and you have a laptop and need to go online, you could just use the phone as a Router in essence. Its really fun to use but a bit glitchy. Don't pay for Tethering though, there are free Apps that can do that for you

For space, why don't you just move apps to the SD card? Same problem with the Droid 1, it has shit for internal space. I just moved most of my apps to the SD card and have been OK since.

As for backing up your apps, if you aren't Rooted *Why not?*, you can download Astro File Manager and there is a backup feature there. Personally, I use Titanium Backup *Since I'm rooted* and it's badass. I wipe my phone ever couple weeks since I have ROM updates and I like to try out new ROMs often.

I've moved all the programs that allow to be moved. But some are still huge as hell, like Dungeon Defenders is like 17mb after Move to Sd. It seems like HTC Desire has 120Mb for user programs. Other option was to root the phone but I don't have the patience for that, so I sold my Desire and ordered a Desire HD :D

Nice. When I got my Droid, I didn't want to Root either. Then one day, I just decided to do it. a few hours of reading and an hour of doing, I had myself a 1.2 GHZ monster. Was the best decision I've ever had.

I almost killed my phone tonight. It tarded out and sent an older message to my girl " Lol nice at least one of us is having a good time :)" and she thought I sent it to another girl but I sent it to her days before. Now she's questioning everything I do. **** my nuts

No one has any idea bout all these apps running?

I can honestly without a doubt say AT&T got the best Android phone out of the bunch. This has all of the functionality one could ever look for, and Verizon probably passed on this to get a phone so people will be forced to buy their 4G equipped laptops and pay more for subscriptions. I HATE VZW for that. Anyway, I want that phone the most then the Bionic.

Ugh.. I hate having a handheld fetish!

downloaded the DIY Live Wallpaper app, will probably give it a try some time but tinkered with the edit button its awesome

^^^I still like my Incredible but that does look nice

the Quad Core Processors are right around the corner for phones. Prepare your pants for some hotness!

Only problem with HTC phones is the awful GPU (and lack of space of course). I actually decided to cancel my Desire HD order, I'll get one of those tegra2 phones when they come out.

Tegra2 is a hot little chip. Wish I could upgrade my Droid with one :E

*EDIT* Maybe I can soon!

http://phandroid.com/motorola-droid-bionic/#overview

Yeah, I'm already fighting my sister for the upgrade we have on our account so I can get this or the Motorola Xoom. I cannot FREAKING wait for either of these guys. I know I said I'd never buy another Motorola device, but these two are just so VERY amazing and too good to pass up.

Right after I buy my droid, I find out the iphone4 is being released for Verizon.

And yet, I think I like this buy better.

New every 2 upgrades will be discontinued with the release of the Iphone on Verizon, so keep an eye on Amazon and Wirefly next time you want to get a new phone, assuming you have Verizon. I'm honestly considering switching carriers, despite how limited the selection is at some of them. Verizon is getting far too money hungry, and it will probably just keep getting worse. Virgin Mobile has a plan for 450 talk, unlimited text and data for $25 a month, but they only have 1 android phone.

New every 2 upgrades will be discontinued with the release of the Iphone on Verizon, so keep an eye on Amazon and Wirefly next time you want to get a new phone, assuming you have Verizon. I'm honestly considering switching carriers, despite how limited the selection is at some of them. Verizon is getting far too money hungry, and it will probably just keep getting worse. Virgin Mobile has a plan for 450 talk, unlimited text and data for $25 a month, but they only have 1 android phone.

...........Seriously!? That is ridiculous. I just got a text saying "Upgrade EARLY, call us!" My normal NE2 time was in September.

I finally decided to root the desire, which was a painless process. Install drivers, install unrevoked, open unrevoked and boom rooted. Currently running Leedroid, most of the games run a lot smoother than on stock.

Changed homescreen from sense to Launcher Pro. LP's so much faster and smoother. At some point I'll flash in oxygen 2.3, I'd flash it already but it breaks Tasker.

Anyone who doesn't know Tasker gives you access to Android functions, the different being, that it's more like a high level scripting language (graphical one). You can change pretty much anything based to many many things. For instance currently I have a profile, that if I have a certain calendars task active currently and I'm near the university, my phone will turn it self to vibrate. And a same kind of profile for when I'm at home and the clock is over 22.

Edit: I flashed 2.3 for lulz. It's kewl! A bit of a surprise was that Launcher Pro is actually slower in 2.3.

Too bored to edit the last post, so I'll make a new one!

Why the hell do Android tablets cost so damn much?

But honestly a tablet is just a gimbed laptop, something too big and clumsy to call a phone. For example the Galaxy Tab S costs like 700-900e in Finland, REALLY. For that price you could buy like three netbooks and about 100 bottles of beer, which you can drink when you realize what you just bought. Or better, you could buy a decent laptop, or a decent desktop and a netbook. Why can't they make them cost something like 200e or 300e? >.<

The galaxy tablet costs so much is because it is bundled with cell phone network connectivity. For some reason wireless companies love charging a shit load for that functionality simply because they can.

If all you want is a android tablet there are ones out there for under $200 USD. Dell will be coming out with a new tablet which you can get for $450 without contract:

http://liliputing.com/2011/01/dell-streak-7-android-tablet-to-run-200-on-contract-450-without.html

For me personally I want something like this which gives you the best of 2 worlds (tablet/netbook) and comes with Win 7:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...867,774411684,1296489880,,29545882,6631942121

I just wish I didn't spend my money elsewhere.

You can buy the Nook Color from barnes and noble, root it, and install android on it, and you have a super cheap android tablet.

I'm guessing Nook is only available in the US. Ordering electronics to EU from US is damn expensive. I'd guess just the shipping costs are over 100$ (shipping costs on board games are usually like 90$) plus tax 22% and toll 10-15% + driving to the nearest toll to get the package.

Actually that Dell one looks pretty nice and it has tegra2. Almost all the cheap tablets are chinacrap. Cheap, but shitty in every way.

Edit: Hot damn! If that Dell tablet/laptop combo comes to EU I'll definitely buy it for my girlfriend.

Back