The official ANDROID thread!

I got lazy yesterday. At work now, I'll do it later today.

Yep, ordered mine Thursday night, shipped Friday morning and was here yesterday afternoon.

Wasnt until after I had ordered it that I realized there is no real good mounting surface on my car's dashboard :p

The swivel up and down probably won't work well on this thing since today the screw loosened up on me since i never tightened it very much. But to prevent it from getting loose after repeated use I will probably have to tighten it to the point where you can't move it.

This is a picture with it loose which still looks good, I'll get one tomorrow when I can fix it since I left the hex wrench it came with at work.

I feel like I'm driving a spaceship though, really loving this thing. The removal and mounting of the phone has also turned out to be extremely easy after getting used to it. And it looks like the double sided tape is holding extremely well for now so I'm no longer that worried about it.

dscf6032sq.jpg

I had the same problem with not having a great spot to mount it to but I think where I have it worked out pretty well.

LOL looks like photoshop but I believe you that it works well. I still need to set mine up

I'm gonna go take it outside right now and find a spot to stick it :p

LOL looks like photoshop but I believe you that it works well. I still need to set mine up

Haha, just looked at it. It does look like photoshop, really bad photoshop at that.

Goddamn you, Chevrolet! (not my dash, but same kinda car)

newton_dash.jpg

Haha, just looked at it. It does look like photoshop, really bad photoshop at that.

LOL I keep looking at it, the shadows, the room to mount it, I almost want to see it from the side just to be sure

90720219.jpg

Just mount it there. The tape will gladly stick to a curved surface and since the mounting bracket is fairly thin you should be able to bend it easily. The only thing that sucks is you'll have a bit of a gap between the dash and the plastic mount.

I'd like to find something a bit farther away, though, so if I use my GPS with it, I can see the screen...the dash is pretty much straight across, so there is no angle towards the driver if I wanted to use the spot on the right side of the center vents.

The only really available surface is the dash top, but I'm certain it wont last more than a few weeks, with it expanding and contracting with the temperature swings here...

1870643e-1.jpg

I wonder where I could do it....if I had one, of course.

Do you stick a CD to your dash to play it, or what?

Woo! 3 decided to push the update finally, and it seems my phone's just picked it up.

my Incredible is updated now with 2.2 its still running through the download and spazin' out but I'm hoping it comes out a better phone!

Still running 2.1 -update 1, and it says I'm up to date :(

theres nothing really special so far with 2.2 i can barely see the difference with it. maybe i'm not doing it right but the camera and video seem slower and only the texting is better so far

I do most of my work email through my phone, so that would be helpful :p

Err... so today I'm finally picking up an Android phone of my own. As my carrier is Rogers, the best phone seems to be the Xperia X10, though I havent heard anyone here talk about it which worries me...

I've looked at a ton of reviews for it, and besides a few common negatives (mediocre keyboard, 1.6 OS; though thats gonna be upgraded to 2.1 at the end of the month), people seem to be really positive about it (huge screen, 8.1 MP camera, fast Snapdragon processor).

I'm gonna try it out now, but I've been told I can return it within 15 days if I change my mind.

Does this seem like a good choice to anyone?

Can you not wait until you have confirmation of the 2.1 release? 3 dicked around for at least two months with our update.

Well, I really cant considering I'm heading off to university in about a week and my current phone is a piece of crap.

Rogers doesnt seem to have that many options in terms of Android phones. The only HTC phone they have is the Magic +, is that any good?

EDIT: One thing I've also wondered is how important is having the most recent OS?

Bob: never trusted rogers for a release date. I got the reach around for 2.1 for my galaxy spica for months (had an issue and just general sucked) before I just lost it on rogers phone support management for telling me the update was released and then "trolololo nope it's not" and they let me choose a new phone to get in replacement (got the htc magic) it's about comparable to the spica in terms of power and both use 1.5, but I actually like this one.

don't hold you breath for a release date mate.

Do you have to go with this 'Rogers' network?

The 2.1 update from 1.5 was astounding. There were so many apps which wouldn't support 1.5, it opened up a whole floodgate for me. Then there was the functionality it added, like voice recognition, tethering, an option to manually look for updates, etc.

If it was 1.5, there wouldn't be a question about waiting, but I'm not sure how behind 1.6 is/was.

That is a good question Druckles. I havent really looked into the other major carriers here in Canada, but up until now I had been using Rogers without any trouble.

Perhaps I will see what the other carriers have.

EDIT: Well, for the most part, most of the carriers here have phones still stuck on 1.5. If I really wanted to, I could try to buy a Nexus One, but those are extremely hard to find and are super expensive without any term attached.

Seems like everyone is buying Android. Hell, I showed my friends and family how awesome Android is and during the same week five of them bought the Samsung Galaxy S and one of them was just going to buy an iPhone and went "oh **** that Amiga phone". On related note, the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks nice, well the price doesn't.

Android > iPhone

as of now. Facetime is the only cool feature the phone has over the others but I'm sure they could easily have a workaround for that in a few months at the rate they've been pumping out phones and even then new iTouch will have facetime too i think

My brother bought an HTC Evo... has android on it.

I want him to switch to Windows 7 Phone instead so I can program XNA games on it :eek:

Too bad he can't have both operating systems on it.

2.2 came down the pipe for me this morning. Loving the greater battery life, the flashlight app and the 720p video recording.

Only complaint thus far is the longer startup time...

So I ended up getting an Xperia X10 last night...

And so far I am loving it! Sure, 1.6 is a little out of date, but I wont die without the features of 2.1 (as nice as some of them would be, like hardware acceleration and multitouch).

Also, their timescape thing is something I wouldve thought is totally useless. For the most part it actually is, but its still something cool to look at or browse if I'm bored.

As a side note, what app do you guys use to monitor your data plan usage? I have an app for it right now, but I dont think it can tell the difference between when I'm using Wi-Fi (which doesnt use up the plan), and the regular network.

Netcounter. Shows Total, Monthly, Weekly, Daily usage across "Cell" and Wi-Fi, and you can set up when the counters reset (though I have still to actually work this out for myself).

Oh, whilst I remember: dialing *#*#4636#*#* into android phones (I'd tried it on Legend, Desire, X10 and Nexus One) gives you extra usage statistics, and I think that's where apps like netcounter pull the data from. It'll also tell you how much battery power each of your applications are using, among other things I never really explored.

I installed dolphin browser HD a few days back, I would recommend everyone do it. HUGE improvement over the stock browser. Tabs, gestures, extremely fast, and a really well done mobile phone UI. I'm never going back to the stock browser again.

Thanks. Watched this video:

Dolphin Browser HD

Looks like it'll be a bit slow on my phone, but we'll see. Also searching "dolphin" in market means you have to scroll down about three pages until you get to it. Thank god for barcodes.

Loving the Dolphin HD browser so far......thanks for the tip!

Netcounter. Shows Total, Monthly, Weekly, Daily usage across "Cell" and Wi-Fi, and you can set up when the counters reset (though I have still to actually work this out for myself).

Oh, whilst I remember: dialing *#*#4636#*#* into android phones (I'd tried it on Legend, Desire, X10 and Nexus One) gives you extra usage statistics, and I think that's where apps like netcounter pull the data from. It'll also tell you how much battery power each of your applications are using, among other things I never really explored.

Thank so much for the info, Kupo. This app is way better for me cause it separates the Cell and Wi-Fi usage (the former I have 500 Mb, the later is unlimited).

Shame it doesnt have a widget for simple monitoring, but it loads so fast that its really not a huge deal.

EDIT: Found out how to use the barcode scanner. Mind = BLOWN

Yeah, the barcode scanner is just freakin awesome. Probably my second favorite app, right behind Shotgun.

Let's see.. There are a bunch of apps I can recommend all of you.

Swarm - An awesome Torrent client.

Torrent-fu - An awesome torrent remote.

Locale - Essentially it does everything and anything you want it to do without you doing it. Just set the options and when the time comes or your location changes, it will set whatever according to whatever you had chose.

Deadly Chambers - A decent FPS for Android finally. I realize it's not a great game or anything, but as you can see, Android is picking up some decent games finally and by purchasing = support. Support = good for all of us.

That's all I have to recommend at the moment.

Yay 2.2! Been using 2.2 roms on my Droid for a few months now, and I've been impressed with how much better it is than 2.1.

It sucks that my G1 can't be updated past 1.9 or so because it's too slow. I want a new phone.

Back