The official ANDROID thread!

iPhone kinda started the App being popular shit on a cell phone. You gotta give them credit for making things universal in a way

Damn this is anoying... I have to wait eight weeks for the desire... SIGHT. GOGO HTC.

Still no OTA update for 2.2 on HTC Desire, man I'm looking forward to that. Also thinking about getting a cradle to charge the phone while on my PC but I use a gel case which makes things a royal pain in the arse.

Ordered me Droid X last night. Hopefully, it will be here tomorrow! :D

I got to play with an Evo today, finally, and I was much happier with the flash performance. It was still a little difficult to navigate through some things (which is to be expected without a mouse) but at least the animation was quite smooth.

I got to play with an Evo today, finally, and I was much happier with the flash performance. It was still a little difficult to navigate through some things (which is to be expected without a mouse) but at least the animation was quite smooth.

That's good it was smooth, but again, you weren't looking at a device with full flash support. That won't be around until 2.2 is released on the 2.2 (unless you had a rooted one).

Posting this from my new X, holy SHIT it's nice. Very sleek, I like it much better than my old Storm. Time to start looking for apps, and this thread should help A LOT.

Be careful with what you do with those Droid Xs. Apparently, Motorola stuck a chip in it that verifies the bootloader. If this gets altered in any way, the chip will lock up your phone and only Motorola can fix it.

http://gizmodo.com/5587801/motorola-is-willing-to-break-the-phone-they-just-sold-you

Apparently other phones have it too, just not activated, and that this is only a rumour. I'm going to wait until it's verified true or not before ****ing around with my X; the UI is quite clustered, indeed.

Just got me Droid X. I have it charging whilst I go to an interview for Best Buy Mobile. When I return home, I'm hoping to have it fully charged and ready to transfer everything over from my Incredible to it! :D :D

2 very good websites I use are http://www.cellphoneshop.com AND http://www.retailmenot.com/

you can save a lot of money by looking for coupons but look at cellphoneshop today because the deals end today.

cellphoneshoporder7-18-2010.jpg

About to buy one of these. I don't know the models apart, but the one i'm getting is $149, I think. Also, i'm confused with all of this talk. Are there other phones that use the same os as the droid phone?

I've purchased things from cellphoneshop before, and while they are cheap, the quality shows. All of their merchandise is from China.

About to buy one of these. I don't know the models apart, but the one i'm getting is $149, I think. Also, i'm confused with all of this talk. Are there other phones that use the same os as the droid phone?

Yes. There are a good handful of phones that use Android now. The Droid X, Droid Incredible, and Sprint Evo are probably the top 3. The unfortunate thing with the Droid X is that it uses Motorola's horrible moto blur OS skin. Not so with the original Droid.

Anyone with the Evo do you get dropped calls when you hold the phone between your shoulder and ear (like when needing to use 2 hands for something else)? I was doing this yesterday and it was constantly dropping calls but that's the first time I noticed it. Could have been spring being funky.

Droid X rooted but no boot loader access as of yet! Just letting those that have an X know! I know I'm happy to have WiFi tether on this big guy. :D

Droid X rooted but no boot loader access as of yet! Just letting those that have an X know! I know I'm happy to have WiFi tether on this big guy. :D

So what did you do, buy an unlocked Droid X and sold your Incredible?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the post where you explained. Wish I was that lucky.

I still feel uncomfortable to root my phone. Also there is no need if 2.2 ever hits unless Verizon follows suite and starts charging for tethering

So what did you do, buy an unlocked Droid X and sold your Incredible?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the post where you explained. Wish I was that lucky.
Yeah. It was the biggest freak accident ever. No pun intended. I'm so lucky it happened. Regardless though, if I did sell my Incredible, it would have covered almost 5/6 of the cost for the Droid X unlocked so I wouldn't be out any money anyway.

I still feel uncomfortable to root my phone. Also there is no need if 2.2 ever hits unless Verizon follows suite and starts charging for tethering

2.2 will hit Verizon, but as you can see on their 2.1 devices, they have the 3G mobile hot spot application that you have to PAY for. 2.2 won't give you free tethering as Verizon is going to take it out to make the customer pay for that premium. That's why root is good. You root your phone, you get access to WiFi tether, screen capture applications, back ups for your phone. Also, it's extremely easy to lose root. One day you wake up and find out your phone updated overnight to a new version. Bam. Root is lost.

On my Incredible, I rooted it probably a month ago and when this phone came out, I unrooted it so I could give it to my sister and so she wouldn't have complications had she needed to use the warranty exchange option. That's the only thing you have to worry about. If you root your phone, make sure you can unroot it in case problems occur where you need to involve your warranty.

I just hope the Droid X's boot loader gets cracked.

2.2 will hit Verizon, but as you can see on their 2.1 devices, they have the 3G mobile hot spot application that you have to PAY for. 2.2 won't give you free tethering as Verizon is going to take it out to make the customer pay for that premium. That's why root is good. You root your phone, you get access to WiFi tether, screen capture applications, back ups for your phone. Also, it's extremely easy to lose root. One day you wake up and find out your phone updated overnight to a new version. Bam. Root is lost.

On my Incredible, I rooted it probably a month ago and when this phone came out, I unrooted it so I could give it to my sister and so she wouldn't have complications had she needed to use the warranty exchange option. That's the only thing you have to worry about. If you root your phone, make sure you can unroot it in case problems occur where you need to involve your warranty.

I just hope the Droid X's boot loader gets cracked.

I'm not quite understanding, Shammy. You rooted your X? How? I thought that chip that bricked the X if you modded it would **** with any attempts at rooting it. (I'm also new to Android so if I missed anything that clarified it a few posts back well whoooops)

I'm not quite understanding, Shammy. You rooted your X? How? I thought that chip that bricked the X if you modded it would **** with any attempts at rooting it. (I'm also new to Android so if I missed anything that clarified it a few posts back well whoooops)

Well, eFuse can be set to do that, but Motorola didn't enable e-fuse for that purpose. They had eFuse enabled so if someone were to mess with the boot loader and try to install a custom ROM, then it would say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and it would send you in a loop back to the boot loader. Basically, e-fuse is there so that custom ROMs without the appropriate digital signature from Motorola would be denied. You can root your phone, but the hard part is cracking the boot loader.

Motorola actually came out and said what exactly they are doing:

“Motorola’s primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com.

So essentially, all that needs done is a way to figure out how to get the digital signature cracked to accept any kind of ROM.

:)

God damn faghag HTC. My HTC order got delayed, AGAIN. I've been waiting for almost nine weeks! Don't these huge companies have huge marketing departments that are paid to analyze and predict sales boosts like these? This just verifies my opinion, that sales people are all just damn retards!

If the deal I got wasn't so good I would instantly buy the Samsung Galaxy S. But getting the desire for 320e is just too good to pass :/

Edit: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.zodttd.psx

Friend got hers within a week just two weeks ago. I'd check whoever you ordered with to see what the heck they're up to.

Seems to be pretty much the same on every store in Finland. All have huge waiting lists and next shipment is coming some time next month... No one wants to bring phones to this developing country :'(

I'm starting to get this itch to root my Evo. But I would hate to make a $500 mistake. Also don't really want to loose the sense UI and all the cool HTC widgets which I assume would happen.

thought I'd poke my head in.

Running a nexus one, rooted with leofroyo :) Running like a dream!

Sweet! Just got some information on my phone. Next shipment coming in four weeks and I MIGHT get my phone from that one. So thats about 13 weeks of waiting for a phone... As soon as I get a decent deal with the Galaxy S I'll buy it.

so I just spent a good hour yelling at rogers phone tech support management. they offered to swap my phone for another I went with the HTC magic (going from the samsung Galaxy Spica)

Improvement, or worse?

so I just spent a good hour yelling at rogers phone tech support management. they offered to swap my phone for another I went with the HTC magic (going from the samsung Galaxy Spica)

Improvement, or worse?

What were you yelling at them about?

their sh*tty customer service. I've been having issues receiving text messages/ phone calls after the phone is on too long. which isn't an issue that would bother me too much (even with all the grief I've gotten because of it), but it was the constantly lying about when the 2.1 update was coming out (which is the heart of the issue, it became that 'thing'), then yesterday my friend who is a rogers dealer let me know its out, great. go to get it... can't find anything. tried install the Samsung crapware from their website, the phone isn't even recognized. try the rogers E-support they say it's been released but I have to talk to Samsung and give me nothing else. So I talk to them. they say they don't have it on the website (and a very subtle stfu gtfo) and talk to rogers. so that was the final straw. talking to a phone support minion and he said it wasn't up on their website site so it's not 'out' yet. and then I decided to talk to management.

their sh*tty customer service. I've been having issues receiving text messages/ phone calls after the phone is on too long. which isn't an issue that would bother me too much (even with all the grief I've gotten because of it), but it was the constantly lying about when the 2.1 update was coming out (which is the heart of the issue, it became that 'thing'), then yesterday my friend who is a rogers dealer let me know its out, great. go to get it... can't find anything. tried install the Samsung crapware from their website, the phone isn't even recognized. try the rogers E-support they say it's been released but I have to talk to Samsung and give me nothing else. So I talk to them. they say they don't have it on the website (and a very subtle stfu gtfo) and talk to rogers. so that was the final straw. talking to a phone support minion and he said it wasn't up on their website site so it's not 'out' yet. and then I decided to talk to management.

Isn't 2.2 the latest? Why weren't you complaining about that?

because rogers has made it known that they were working on 2.1 for some time. they haven't said a word on 2.2 all I wanted was the issue resolved and to stop getting jerked around

EVO 4G getting 2.2 on August 3rd, link was on engadget I think.

Finally got some happy news, shipping date on my desire got changed to next week \o/

EVO 4G getting 2.2 on August 3rd, link was on engadget I think.

Yup saw that yesterday, stoked. :bounce:

Apparently it will have all kinds of new HTC widgets too. Problem is I am starting to get really excited about the free wifi feature especially since I found a good extended battery. But sprint will block this unless you pay them $30 a month so I'm still seriously considering rooting this thing.

Downloading evo 2.2 over the air update now !!!!!! :bounce:

Taking forever but hopefully it won't brick my phone like their last update did to some.

Ok it updated. Haven't noticed any new widgets yet as promised. The k-9 mail notification icon now shows how many messages there are which is cool. But aside from that haven't noticed anything different yet. Going to hulu.com to test out flash says the platform I am on is not supported :/. The new flashlight app is slick.

Back