The official ANDROID thread!

Anyone have a nexus one? We had some old guy in yesterday who had real trouble pressing the touchscreen think he may have just been pressing it with his nail, but the nexus generally seems a bit of a mess compared to the hardware identical Desire. I dislike having the dialer as a shortcut on the desktop for starters, but when texting, his contacts weren't searchable and there's no way to quickly select contacts from a list.

Guy was a crackpot of course. Kept bleating on about how his emails were compromised by using the device. I just know he's coming in again today. Ugh.

That's the problem with Open Source-ability of Android. People can make some shoddy apps without much problems.

If only there were some sort of approval process!

If only there were some sort of approval process!
Except there is a peer rating system like ebay with people able to rate and comment on apps with full honesty, as well as being able to see the amount of downloads.

The open nature of the market allows apps you would never see on a highly regulated version, with 3rd party apps out-competing official apps or cheaper alternatives. Things like the NES and Gameboy roms would never see the light of day on other services.

So yeah, that approval service is enhancing the freedoms of developers reaching users.

Hey, I get Engrish and Photoshop Disasters with that app.

I might be the only one here, but from what I heard from my friend and rogers dealer, the galaxy spica is getting the 2.1 update sometime next week, YAY!

Yes, 2.2 *Froyo* is the latest one right now. It'd be weird if a phone was just NOW getting 2.1, which has been out since earlier this year.

Recently switched from Home++ to Launcher Pro Beta. I must say, it's so nice! I find it leaps and bounds better than Home++. The App Window is pretty nice, even with some nifty 3d scrolling going on. Very fast also. I suggest everybody to try it if they can. Not sure how it would work with MotoBlur or SenseUI....

Recently switched from Home++ to Launcher Pro Beta. I must say, it's so nice! I find it leaps and bounds better than Home++. The App Window is pretty nice, even with some nifty 3d scrolling going on. Very fast also. I suggest everybody to try it if they can. Not sure how it would work with MotoBlur or SenseUI....
All it does is ask you which you want as your default Homescreen handler. I have mine set to using Launcher Pro. You should also try out ADW if you like Launcher Pro. They are basically the same launcher, however, the developers that code them are in a heated battle together and update each homescreen replacement every couple of days.

Nobody knows how long we have to wait for the Evo, they are saying next few months. Sucks consider this phone just came out.

Nobody knows how long we have to wait for the Evo, they are saying next few months. Sucks consider this phone just came out.

The thing is, upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 isn't bad at all. It's nothing like when 1.5 and 1.6 had to upgrade to 2.1. Let's put it this way, upgrading from 1.6 to 2.2 = Windows XP to Windows 7. You can't just upgrade the software and what not. You have to rebuild the whole ROM and everything and optimize the hell out if with the given RAM for a specific device. The 2.1 to 2.2 is basically like a service pack. It's that much easier to upgrade. The thing is you still have to optimize it a little bit and still wait for your service provider to OK the upgrade.

Well, if only America's cell phone companies didn't hold back updates. We have to wait till Verizon OKs the updates for our phones, but from what I've been hearing, the HTC Incredible should be getting it rather shortly so I'm excited about that. I'm hoping it's within the next 2 weeks as well! :D

you've got to be shitting me! I can't wait for the update. The minute I got the phone in May they announced 2.2 and I thought it was going to be out ages ago. at work I can finally surf the web on a big screen!

you've got to be shitting me! I can't wait for the update. The minute I got the phone in May they announced 2.2 and I thought it was going to be out ages ago. at work I can finally surf the web on a big screen!

That's how I feel. I love my phone to death, but the fact that we have to wait for the updates thanks to the custom user experience offered by companies is just a punch to the face. The Nexus One is honestly the best phone, not hardware-wise, but because of the fact that you get the updates when they are released and ready. The 2.2 that was actually sent to certain users was by accident thanks to Google. They aren't even finished with the OS. If you look around online, you'll notice there are a few ROMs of 2.2 out there for the Nexus One based on two leaked builds people got their hands on.

I'm going to be waiting forever for 2.2 because I really don't think HTC cares about their phones after release. I mean they just love to take their time on everything, and it annoys the bollocks off me.

I think I'm going to be upgrading my phone to the Droid X when that's released. Apparently, I can get it for $199 so I'll sell my phone for $450 and cover that cost and some.

That's how I feel. I love my phone to death, but the fact that we have to wait for the updates thanks to the custom user experience offered by companies is just a punch to the face. The Nexus One is honestly the best phone, not hardware-wise, but because of the fact that you get the updates when they are released and ready. The 2.2 that was actually sent to certain users was by accident thanks to Google. They aren't even finished with the OS. If you look around online, you'll notice there are a few ROMs of 2.2 out there for the Nexus One based on two leaked builds people got their hands on.

I'm going to be waiting forever for 2.2 because I really don't think HTC cares about their phones after release. I mean they just love to take their time on everything, and it annoys the bollocks off me.

I think I'm going to be upgrading my phone to the Droid X when that's released. Apparently, I can get it for $199 so I'll sell my phone for $450 and cover that cost and some.

same, I could always trade in my shit and get at least $400 for it, but who knows, it may not be worth it

The nexus one still doesn't have 2.2 for the majority of users.

I'm a bit pissed at rumors that version 3 will be out by the end of the year. I wonder how long I will have to wait for that.

Sounds like a mess.

Anyone catch that Droid X stuff today?

Sounds like a mess.

Well, still better than what apple does ;). They charge you for their updates, their updates aren't as frequent, and the new updates will only work on the 3GS and above. Even the old school t-mobile mytouch will see 2.2 sometime this year.

They charged like $5 for the update that brought in the App store, every other update has been free including 4.0. They only charged itouch owners, it was free for iphone owners, and if you knew somebody with an iphone you could also update your itouch for free.

edited...

Ahh...I had the iTouch, didn't know iPhones were getting it free. But they still won't let you upgrade to 4.0 unless you got 3GS or above.

Ahh...I had the iTouch, didn't know iPhones were getting it free. But they still won't let you upgrade to 4.0 unless you got 3GS or above.

Incorrect, I have the 3G and I upgraded to iOS 4.0 yesterday. You get everything but multitasking (due to the hardware limitations).

Apple allows mostly everyone of their iOS products to upgrade to the latest revision. The reason why the first iPod Touch and iPhone didn't get the upgrade is due to hardware limitations. However, the 2nd Gen iPod Touch and iPhone 3G got the upgrade, but due to 'hardware limitations' (read lack of optimization so you have to buy their newest and latest product), you only get so many features from the latest iOS upgrade. They did charge for every major iOS upgrade for the iPod Touches except for the 4.0 upgrade. For some reason, they decided it was finally acceptable that they allow them to upgrade for free as well.

Incorrect, I have the 3G and I upgraded to iOS 4.0 yesterday. You get everything but multitasking (due to the hardware limitations).

Have you experienced any of the problems I've read about or slowness I've heard of? I was wondering if your's was affected by the 4.0 upgrade.

Also, completely unrelated to you two. Haha. I was checking My Verizon online due to the fact that I told my mom that the Droid X was coming out and she jokingly said to upgrade to it. I told her I can't because it will be expensive since I just upgraded to the Incredible by HTC.... But... to my surprise, I'm still eligible for an upgrade. That means I get this phone for $199 and get to sell my Incredible for about $450 to make up for the cost! I'm so damn excited!

I realize the Droid X isn't that much better, but I can guarantee they'll be paying more attention to it than the Incredible. Seriously, it feels like the Incredible is an afterthought and was only released about 2 months ago.

Have you experienced any of the problems I've read about or slowness I've heard of? I was wondering if your's was affected by the 4.0 upgrade.

No slowdowns here boss.

Incredible is an afterthought and was only released about 2 months ago.

It feels like this for every new phone running Android :|.

due to 'hardware limitations' (read lack of optimization so you have to buy their newest and latest product)

I really think you're being unfair here. You can only optimize software so much, you can't make windows 7 run well on a pentium 3 whether or not jesus optimized the code. Could the 3g multitask with OS4, probably, but I'd bet you it wouldn't do it well. And personally I'd rather not have a feature, than be promised a feature that runs so poorly I wouldn't want to use it all.

No slowdowns here boss.

It feels like this for every new phone running Android :|.

Glad to hear you're not one of them feeling slow downs. Also, I know that's the damn problem with Android devices. Every manufacturer is in competition with each other. There is never a good device for a long period of time because they just keep throwing devices out left and right. The one thing I love about Apple is the fact that they don't compete or copy anyone! Now, when I say that, I don't mean it as in, they copied that exact look and blah blah. I'm talking about they actually make the product look great without copying someone else's design, and they actually put forth a little bit of effort to make it a good product.

Let's take the Evo, the Incredible, the X, the Nexus One.. They are all the same phone internally basically, but they have the same features and guess what, the newest Android phone will be the same but maybe a little different.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I can choose what device I would like, but that thing called 'fragmentation' is annoying. Also, the fact that developers can't really code to take advantage of something is annoying. For the iPhone, you get a great gaming experience because they have one device to code for which gets optimized perfectly. For Android, there aren't any games for it that are close to an iPhone experience.

Anyway, I'm still going to get that Droid X. Hoepfully, that's the last HUGE phone upgrade of this year before LTE is released in the nation.

I really think you're being unfair here. You can only optimize software so much, you can't make windows 7 run well on a pentium 3 whether or not jesus optimized the code. Could the 3g multitask with OS4, probably, but I'd bet you it wouldn't do it well. And personally I'd rather not have a feature, than be promised a feature that runs so poorly I wouldn't want to use it all.

You're right. I probably am being unfair here, but I really have every right to be. Apple is known to not add features so you are forced to buy the newest and best version of their device. I don't feel like going into depth on this, but let's just say the 2G iPhone vs the 3G iPhone. Both are completely capable of video, but only the 3G gets it, and the iPhone 2G gets the shaft though you can jailbreak and download an application easily for it.

I understand completely why Apple does it though because they'd rather have that wholesome and perfect experience instead of hearing users complain about the feature. I feel Apple only adds features when they know it's going to work very, very well which is why they waited to add in a bunch of things such as copy and paste and MMS, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they don't allow certain things for the previous model though I completely understand why they don't add certain memory specific features. So you're right on that point, I'm sure Apple says, "Hey, this feature doesn't look like it's going to work well on our previous model. So let's just give it to the new model."

Any phone can be optimized to hell for Android, but this is where I'm inexperienced. I know the T-Mobile G1 is capable of running 2.1 on it with some community ROM, but I don't know what it omits. Regardless, most Android phones regardless of RAM are at least capable of running the latest versions. This is also where manufacturers, IMO, are better than Apple. They actually optimize for their older product instead of leaving it out in the blue. Sure, it takes them years to get it sent to that phone, but it still gets there. Regardless, if it's not official, you have the community to get you the updated ROM with more features than you had previously.

iPhone 2g hardware restricts multitasking? Bullshit, my 5-7 year-old shitty Nokia phone could do multitasking. It's just the Apple marketing, release a product without the basic features you get with other manufacturers. Then a year later release a new phone with the missing features: "now including stuff you've seen in 20 dollar mobile phones for the last 4 years!"

Going back to Android. I wonder when Google is going to open app development on scandinavia... Well of course I can make apps for Android but I can't sell/release them on the market. Bummer.

iPhone 2g hardware restricts multitasking? Bullshit, my 5-7 year-old shitty Nokia phone could do multitasking. It's just the Apple marketing, release a product without the basic features you get with other manufacturers. Then a year later release a new phone with the missing features: "now including stuff you've seen in 20 dollar mobile phones for the last 4 years!"

Going back to Android. I wonder when Google is going to open app development on scandinavia... Well of course I can make apps for Android but I can't sell/release them on the market. Bummer.

Technically, you can if you have someone trust worthy to set up the account and then forward you the money via PayPal. PM me if you are interested in doing so.

Any phone can be optimized to hell for Android, but this is where I'm inexperienced. I know the T-Mobile G1 is capable of running 2.1 on it with some community ROM, but I don't know what it omits. Regardless, most Android phones regardless of RAM are at least capable of running the latest versions. This is also where manufacturers, IMO, are better than Apple.

This is one of my complaints a few pages back. My roommate has an eris with 2.1 on it and it can't play flash to save it's life. Literally 100% of the flash sites I tried to view were completely unusable because the performance was so awful. Granted I did try some sites I knew would be trouble to test it, any phone can play youtube or vimeo. Now I understand that on the Incredible the flash performance is probably great, but it bothers me that there is this extreme variation in a user's flash experience based on which phone they buy.

So it's interesting that we seem to both view this 'problem' the same way, but have opposite feelings about it.

This is one of my complaints a few pages back. My roommate has an eris with 2.1 on it and it can't play flash to save it's life. Literally 100% of the flash sites I tried to view were completely unusable because the performance was so awful. Granted I did try some sites I knew would be trouble to test it, any phone can play youtube or vimeo. Now I understand that on the Incredible the flash performance is probably great, but it bothers me that there is this extreme variation in a user's flash experience based on which phone they buy.

So it's interesting that we seem to both view this 'problem' the same way, but have opposite feelings about it.
I completely understand that, and that's where the unexperienced consumer is going to say whilst they use their Eris with Flash expecting an Incredible/Nexus/Evo experience, why is this so bad! But give the same user the phone without Flash, and they complain they don't have it. When it comes down to it, they're going to complain regardless.

The reason why my view is a little bit skewed compared to your's is because I like when Android and these upgrades are sent to newer phones. When you look at the picture in the long run, a company can't continue to upgrade that phone constantly. That's where Android is going to fail in that aspect. They don't have the huge fanboyism or user base Apple has. They have accessories, they have everything. They keep their fan base happy by upgrading mostly all of their products expect for, in this case, the first version. They'll try to bring what they can to the hardware. They do it because they care that their users are actually experiencing something the newer model has but the older model can't do well.

The manufacturers for Android just don't have that. The only phone for Android that really has had a big boom lately was the Droid and the Nexus One, but they are still peons when it comes to the iPhone. Honestly, I can't really see Android ever having that fan base like the iPhone due to the fact that there are always going to be so many various models that are slightly better than the previous.

ios4 without multitasking isn't really ios4. I thought that was kind of the big new feature of the operating system. And I don't believe it's a hardware limitation, it's a marketing issue. If they gave you multitasking on your regular 3G many people would choose not to upgrade. My old blackberry could multiask and the hardware on it was wimpy compared to the iPhone 3G.

Also, completely unrelated to you two. Haha. I was checking My Verizon online due to the fact that I told my mom that the Droid X was coming out and she jokingly said to upgrade to it. I told her I can't because it will be expensive since I just upgraded to the Incredible by HTC.... But... to my surprise, I'm still eligible for an upgrade. That means I get this phone for $199 and get to sell my Incredible for about $450 to make up for the cost! I'm so damn excited!

Keep in mind that when you do upgrade you will probably be extending your contract even more than you have now. So 2 years down the road when phones are 10 times as powerful as they are now you won't be able to upgrade.

Again, the device has flash player lite, it is not meant to support full flash websites. You won't get that until 2.2. If flash-lite bugs you so much (I dont understand why it would) you can disable it in the options.

Let's take the Evo, the Incredible, the X, the Nexus One.. They are all the same phone internally basically, but they have the same features and guess what, the newest Android phone will be the same but maybe a little different.

They are the same in the sense that they have the same underlying operating system. Compared to the nexus one (a phone released just 6 months ago) the incredible and the evo have huge imporvements to the hardware. Including a 720p video camera and a much bigger screen. The evo supports 4G which is huge if you happen to be in a 4G market. And the reason there are so many different phones is because unlike apple you will find the android on virtually every single carrier on the planet.

You keep saying that new android phones being constantly released is a bad thing and will prevent android from ever having a bigger market share than apple. I don't agree with that. They are constantly trying to up eachother. And as a result the features that the iPhone is just now getting have been around on the android for a very long time. I rememeber the big deal when iPhone finally got video recording which was kind of funny since my old razor that I bought in 2005 had video recording in it.

In addition since android can be put on any hardware you can think of the android as windows and ios 4 as macintosh. We all know who won the battle for marketshare in that game and it started out very much the same way, microsoft allowed licensing of their os to anybody while apple only allowed it on their hardware.

I want my Droid X already. I love this Incredible, but that Droid X is looking mighty tasty. :D

Back