The official ANDROID thread!

mairo-live-walpaper-omg-wow-rm-eng.jpg

Seriously, words cannot describe how incredibly entertained we are by this Mario Live wallpaper for Android 2.1 and above devices. All across the home and locked screen, our favorite Italian faux-plumber protagonist runs through randomly-generated levels across various themes like outside, underground, and castle. It's very customizable, allowing you to change the level's difficulty, see the alternate paths Mario's AI has plotted, and rendering the background (all at a cost to CPUs and battery life, of course). Free download -- donations suggested, of course -- and if you're looking for a way to stare at your phone even longer, well, look no further. Videos through which you can live vicariously are after the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/mario-live-wallpaper-for-android-better-than-a-tanooki-suit-in/

i have it running now, and its burning through my battery like a mofo! but search in the market for "mario live wallpaper" its the only one available download it now before they charge you for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pf6XZge_Mo

The 2.1 update is finally out for the Hero...just have to backup before I download it.

My evo notified me of a firmware update yesterday but I didn't have time to update it at that moment. Today the update is gone. Looks like it was bricking some phones so they took it down.

Just downloaded the mario live wallpaper which is awesome, but my battery life sucks as is.

Damn! The HTC Desire seems to be almost impossible to get in Finland. I've been waiting for like ~25 days for the phone. Now it seems like the next shipment is coming in October...

Ahhhhh, this is a badass day.

Just Rooted and installed 2.2 with Bugless Beast on my Moto Droid. Also running 1.1 in what seems to be a stable environment. My god, the phone starts in like 20 seconds from off to up.

Finally I'm in the 2.1 era...just as everyone is getting ready to move on to 2.2. Still liking it so far, seems a lot more polished than 1.5.

Also, recent announcements seem to suggest that the Hero won't be getting any more updates, so if the 2.1/2.2(or whatever the newest android version is) gap becomes as bad as the 1.5/2.1 gap(where like 25% of new apps are unavailable), rooting seems to be my only option. Or getting a new phone, but I like to keep mine for a year or two before upgrading, and it's been less than half a year since I got this one.

Honestly, buying a Hero has sold me on Android, but not HTC's service. My next phone will probably be from another company unless they improve.

So the Evo finally gave me my update last night. I used to have huge problems with sirius, once in a while it would work fine but most of the time it would lag constantly and take forever to load. Which was a huge disappointment to me since that was one of the big reasons I was excited about getting a smart phone.

Then I went for a run last night after the update and sirius worked like a champ, didn't cut out once and loaded extremely fast. So I'm nto sure if the update did it or if it was just a random moment of where it worked as that sometimes did happen. I'll test it out more today.

i have it running now, and its burning through my battery like a mofo! but search in the market for "mario live wallpaper" its the only one available download it now before they charge you for it!

Is the screen good? Is the 4G fast? Exactly how fast does it burn through the battery? Better than the Nexus One? Can it print money?

Been listening for around an hour and it has been flawless (just one small lag spike for a few seconds). So I think they must have optimized something.

If this sirius issue is resolved I absolutely love it (had an issue today after a couple hours of listening with where it stopped working for a couple minutes). Hell, even if it isn't fixed I still do. Coolest little gadget I've gotten in the longest time. Absolutely no regrets. Can't wait for 2.2.

Wish we had 4G though, no annoucements yet on when we will get it. Too lazy to read back, what phone do you have?

I've got the Moto Droid.

Rooted it last night and threw 2.2 on it and OC'd to 1.1 Ghz. Sure is a snappy little phone now!

I have the Droid Incredible, but I'm looking forward to getting the Droid X. I'm hoping they can root that phone. Supposedly, it might have a signed boot loader which anyone that knows computers at all means that if they do get it rooted, any ROM has to be digitally signed by Motorola which means the chances are so damn slim.

Here's to hoping it's not because I have the Incredible which is already rooted so I'm able to do whatever I want to it when they make a bunch of ROMs in the following months.

I've got the Moto Droid.

Rooted it last night and threw 2.2 on it and OC'd to 1.1 Ghz. Sure is a snappy little phone now!

I'm running Ultimate Droid 2.2 with a stable 1.25 OC and an ultra low voltage kernel. Ultimate Droid is a really great ROM, and it has been updated on a frequent basis.

What does rooting do?

Basically, it gives the user Admin privileges. If this were a Windows-based computer, look at it this way. Without root, you're just a simple user on the PC, but with root, you're an Admin so you have all the privileges of what an Admin can do.

I'm running Ultimate Droid 2.2 with a stable 1.25 OC and an ultra low voltage kernel. Ultimate Droid is a really great ROM, and it has been updated on a frequent basis.

Nice!

I'm still on the 1.1 with ultra low voltage. I'll have to check out the Ultimate Rom.

1ffe537a.jpg

Yeah, mine gets 1495. Also, I've been using the xScope browser for a few days, and it's much better than the stock browser. Fullscreen support, tab browsing with gesture swap, 1 finger pin zoom, smoother page scrolling, and it loads faster. Only downside is that it costs a couple bucks.

SkyFire was my favorite browser on 2.1, due to it being able to play flash videos and such.

Haven't tried now that I have Flash 10.1 installed......

I'm on CyanogenMod 5.7. Haven't updated to 5.8 yet because you have to flash the Froyo radio, and a lot of problems have been reported about that.

How does CyanogenMod treat you? I've not heard much about it.

I have a question, Which android is the best phone? I'm looking to get rid of my iPhone and switch to an Android, but I don't know which one to save up for.

On the US side I'd say the Motorola Droid X, Droid Incredible or HTC Evo. For the rest of the world I'd say HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S.

I'd suggest you get the Samsung Galaxy S. It's definitely the best phone available outside of the US. It has a slower CPU than the Droid X's OMAP, but the GPU is the BEST GPU available in a smartphone to date, and it's SO much better than the Desire's Snapdragon processor. Snapdragon is extremely fast and on one chip, but it doesn't run 3D programs all that amazing.

Anyway, get the Samsung Galaxy S. Also, I'll gladly take your iPhone off you.

Quadrant Standard Edition

chart

Alright, thanks.

How do I create a screenshot to post here? My prediction was right btw, my Hero did only slightly better than the HTC Magic...It's kind of infamous for being underpowered(not to mention older than all the other phones on that list).

I'm on Rogers Wireless in Canada. What droid phones are available and which one is the best?

Any (unlocked) Android phone on the 850 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz frequency bands will work with Rogers Wireless if I remember correctly.

God I love that whole "Barcode Scanner Find App" shit.

With Drocap2, I set mine to activate through the Notification bar. That way you have what you want to SS, open notification bar, hit the drocap2 icon, you have your SS. EZ as pie....and better than shaking your phone like a fool.

God I love that whole "Barcode Scanner Find App" shit.

With Drocap2, I set mine to activate through the Notification bar. That way you have what you want to SS, open notification bar, hit the drocap2 icon, you have your SS. EZ as pie....and better than shaking your phone like a fool.

SS on iPhone is home button + sleep button, no need for 3rd party app.

Isn't this the Android thread? Are you trying to promote the iPhone?

Just saying, we know that already.

Isn't this the Android thread? Are you trying to promote the iPhone?

Just saying, we know that already.

Just because it's an Android thread doesn't mean I can't debunk a false claim (if OP was in fact referring to the iPhone, I don't know of any other phone that has as tight accelerometer integration as the iPhone/latest Android phones)... or is shaking your phone for SS standard on Android? If so, my bad.

Just because it's an Android thread doesn't mean I can't debunk a false claim (if OP was in fact referring to the iPhone, I don't know of any other phone that has as tight accelerometer integration as the iPhone/latest Android phones)... or is shaking your phone for SS standard on Android? If so, my bad.
He was talking about the app, DroCap. It has an option where when you launch then shake your phone, it takes a screen shot. I doubt he was referring to the iPhone at all.

Ive only shaken my iPhone to shuffle songs. Other than that, its a fairly useless feature.

I feel for ya, the iPhone is getting it's ass kicked on so many levels you need to clinch to what you got. But you can make your own thread for that ;).

Back