The official ANDROID thread!

Yea you're right about the cost, I wasnt really factoring it in. I think he paid like $20 for the phone after the rebate.

If it's a carrier branded phone, he should probably unlock the bootloader, install Amon_RA recovery, and re-flash a ROM on it to speed it up.

What phone is it anyway?

Are you sure there is no way to close tasks? I haven't spent a whole lot of time on an android but that seems a little absurd to me, I hope thats not the case.

Sounds like you were trying flash sites which is why they didn't work. That feature is coming in 2.2 as been said above.

It also seems like you have an old version if he only paid $20 after rebate, I'm guessing 1.5 or similar. The new 2.1 version has a lot of new features but you need to get a pricier phone or wait for an update (if it will ever come).

When I get my phone on friday I'll post my impressions on it, I can't wait for this thing to be released.

Any idea when Android 2.2 hits most phones?? I have the Incredible and can't wait for the update

Any idea when Android 2.2 hits most phones?? I have the Incredible and can't wait for the update
HTC have been talking up 2.2 by the end of the year for their current gen phones, or so I've heard.

Desire is getting 2.2 June / July I read on the android forums. Incredible can't be too far off from that.

xcellerate, what version android did that phone have? 1.5 or something? Almost all phones are 2.1 or around there and none of those problems exist. There is a process manager built in for example. $20 after a rebate? You pay peanuts...you get monkeys. Hardly a fair assessment if you buy the shittiest possible thing in the world.

It was an eris and he's had it less than a month so I assume it's got the most recent release of droid on it. I'm sure a more expensive phone with better hardware would have better flash support but that's not how the advertising goes, which is what really upsets me. They act as if 2fps in flash is better than no flash at all.

He seems to really hate the phone, so maybe I'm not getting the best experience with it. This is his first smartphone and he's already talking about trading it in for something else.

It was an eris and he's had it less than a month so I assume it's got the most recent release of droid on it.
From what I can see, the Eris is a year old phone that shipped running cupcake (1.5).

He seems to really hate the phone, so maybe I'm not getting the best experience with it. This is his first smartphone and he's already talking about trading it in for something else.

iphone4_01.jpg

@ Android ppl: when is Froyo supposed to come out?

My understanding is that it technically is out... kind of. The codebase is out there, it's just that the manufacturers need to update any legacy devices and start including it in their new ones for it to be truly available to anyone who isn't rooting their devices and crying at the instability.

Basically, the newer, more impressive devices get it 'soon'.

iphone4_01.jpg

It's already out for some phones. It all depends on when the manufacturer decides to implement it.

you know whats sad?? new AT&T customers will have a cap on their data plan. Thats right a data plan cap!! So glad I have Verizon right now

How is updating handled? Do you guys go to your manufacturer's website and grab something, or is there a standard syncing client (like iTunes)?

you know whats sad?? new AT&T customers will have a cap on their data plan. Thats right a data plan cap!! So glad I have Verizon right now

I don't think it's really a big deal as long as you're not tethering.

For HTC, since their sense UI needs major adjustments you've got to wait till they release the update specific for the phone model.

You download a .zip file which you put on your memory card in your phone. Boot the phone holding a button - flash update or something - from .zip file - takes 5 minutes - restarts & done. Pretty simple.

How is updating handled? Do you guys go to your manufacturer's website and grab something, or is there a standard syncing client (like iTunes)?

I don't think it's really a big deal as long as you're not tethering.

There's actually a few ways. It all depends on how the Carrier/Manufacturer wants to send you the update. With Verizon, on all of their phones you can either, A) download the update OTA or B) download it on the computer, put it on your SD card/phone storage, then you're able to install it.

For HTC, since their sense UI needs major adjustments you've got to wait till they release the update specific for the phone model.

You download a .zip file which you put on your memory card in your phone. Boot the phone holding a button - flash update or something - from .zip file - takes 5 minutes - restarts & done. Pretty simple.

That's one thing I hate about Sense. It is a good user interface, but the fact is that it's not that great to risk getting updates later. 2.2 has been released and manufacturers have it already and are implementing it with their software, but you still have to wait even when they do finish their software for the carrier such as VZW to approve the build and then begin their roll out to the phones. With the Motorola Droid, it took about 3-4 months (I think) before they decided to roll out the 2.1 update.

Android is rather complicated when it comes to updating and keeping up with the latest OS version. For the people that were on 1.5 or 1.6, the manufacturer needs to do some serious work on optimizing the OS for that phone. Going from 1.5 to 2.0/2.1/2.2 is like going from Windows 98 to Windows 7, you're losing all of your information (but that's stored to the cloud anyway as you should know ;)) and installing a brand new experience to your phone. However, if you are on 2.0, it's dreadfully easy to upgrade to 2.1/2.2, companies still need to optimize and get it approved.

Google has addressed this issue lately, and they've come to the conclusion that they are only going to dwindle down to 1 upgrade a year so manufacturers can implement it without worrying about a new upgrade a month later. This is why the 'Google Experience' phones are the best choice for all users. The updates come directly from Google and should be rolled out extremely soon after they announce the release of the update. That's why the Nexus One received Froyo (2.2) about a day or two after they announced it.

Though, it honestly doesn't even matter regardless. The Android community is so large, and once a phone is rooted, the community usually has a freshly cooked ROM available. Let's talk about the HTC Evo 4G coming out on Friday. The phone was given away to some of the top developers on Android, and it was rooted and flashed with 2.2 about a week or so after they gave it away.

In some ways, I wish Android was more uniform like Apple. I like the fact that we have choice, but Android and it's hardware updates SO fast that you're about outdated by the time you purchase your phone, but that's what makes it SO great! You get choice, you get options, you get numerous carriers with different phones available.

You know what! I'm done talking for now. I need to go to sleep. I could go on and on about this, but I feel like I'm done for now because it looks like I'm about to open up a whole different can of worms. :p

Any idea how fast the 4G network can be?? I've heard it gets speeds in the Megabit range, and as of now my 3G HTC Incredible gets roughly 200Kb

Any idea how fast the 4G network can be?? I've heard it gets speeds in the Megabit range, and as of now my 3G HTC Incredible gets roughly 200Kb
Well, the 4G network of Sprint is supposed to be about 3-6 Mb/s with an upload of about 1 Mb if I'm not mistaken. With Verizon's 3G network, you're actually about to get about 1-3 Mb/s usually topping out at 2.5.

Anom_RA Recovery Image.

Verizon 3G -> 1.25 meg down and .69 meg up

Just did a speedtest on my phone.

Verizon 3G -> 1.25 meg down and .69 meg up

Just did a speedtest on my phone.
What program did you use? Just the speed test application? I'll run mine now. Should be decent where I'm located.

Picked up the EVO today, awesome phone so far. Sprint jewed me out of $10 a month by charging a premium to use the data services on this phone so my monthly bill is now $79.99 instead of the $69.99 I was expecting. Also took about 2 hours to activate because all the servers were busy when I went in this morning.

The screen on this thing is absolutely awesome, the only app I downloaded so far (sirius/xm) works like a charm. The UI is extremely responsive and the keyboard is actually very accurate, I prefer it to the iPhone keyboard. I haven't yet figured out how to turn the notification LED on, it's on in the settings but when I get a message it doesn't light up.

One thing that pissed me off outside of the $10 monthly fee is that this doesn't use a standard USB cable. That means my blackberry chargers I had won't do me any good and I have to pay an arm and a leg for an extra cable so I can charge and synch at work.

Using the speakeasy speed test I get 1Mbit down and .2Mbit up on the dallas server using 3G (4G not yet available here).

One thing that pissed me off outside of the $10 monthly fee is that this doesn't use a standard USB cable. That means my blackberry chargers I had won't do me any good and I have to pay an arm and a leg for an extra cable so I can charge and synch at work.

Using the speakeasy speed test I get 1Mbit down and .2Mbit up on the dallas server using 3G (4G not yet available here).

Doesn't it use Micro USB? If so, www.monoprice.com. Extremely cheap cables, but extremely good in quality. Also, I'm glad you love your EVO. Maybe next year when my sister isn't working for Verizon, I'll go to Sprint for their unlimited plans. :) I loveeeeeeeeee all of these amazing Android handsets coming out. It makes me happy to see all of this momentum for Android. I just wish a ton more developers would jump on to it.

Doesn't it use Micro USB? If so, www.monoprice.com. Extremely cheap cables, but extremely good in quality. Also, I'm glad you love your EVO. Maybe next year when my sister isn't working for Verizon, I'll go to Sprint for their unlimited plans. :) I loveeeeeeeeee all of these amazing Android handsets coming out. It makes me happy to see all of this momentum for Android. I just wish a ton more developers would jump on to it.

Nope, no microUSB which is what I was expecting. Thansk for the link.

I am pretty impressed with the app selection so far, but Im sure development on the android platform will continue to grow exponentially.

I've seen labs look at it as a platform for simple embedded computing. And because it is open source there are countless other possibilities not limited to mobile devices. As time passes I wouldn't be shocked to see TV sets running android.

Well I bought the Desire today. Unlimited, maximum down speed of 15Mb/s and free speech for 19e/month. Sweeet.

What program did you use? Just the speed test application? I'll run mine now. Should be decent where I'm located.

Yup, Speed Test in the Market. I connected tot he LA server *And I'm in MO...* and it was the fastest speed test I could find per server. It was weird lol.

on speed test: 2774kbps download 658kbps upload

lol, a bit slow but much much faster than my LG Voyager could ever do

well since most phones are GPS, you could always download an app that could track your phone to its location before you lose it but mine has a simple sliding lock. I'm sure you could download one of those locks that are a specific zig zag touch input or keycode.

Does anyone know how to change what the screen displays when it's locked (and password protected)? On my bleckbarry I had it display contact information in case I lost it and someone nice picked it up, and if it's possible to do that with a droid then that'd be superduper

Not sure how to change any of that info, I'm sure there is a freakin' app for it somewhere...

But get "Mobile Defense". You can track it through GPS, have it display custom text, alarm, ring, etc. All of this is done through a web browser and is hidden on the phone completely.

So, I've been thinking about buying a new phone. My current one is a Motorola V551, so I think its about time I upgraded. I hear people talking about these Android phones, can someone explain the draws of these phones? Also is there a current model that can use a Rogers plan?

(If it shows, I have an incredible ineptness with phones, though I hope to learn once I get a better one)

I'd love to see Re-Volt as an Android App

descargar-revolt.jpg

revolt_790screen001.jpg

I bet the game would be a smash hit too! tilt steering, multiplayer, leaderboards, downloadable maps, you name it

I have 2.1 and don't have any of the problems you mentioned. There are some issues will killing interner processes but you can simply download advanced task killed for that.

TO switch applications just hold the home button. To quit most applications simply hit menu and exit or close.

I have uninstalled ATK recently because my phone runs so much faster without it. Home++ comes with a tool to close running apps anyway.

You shouldn't need to download a 3rd party app to close other apps.

You shouldn't need to download a 3rd party app to close other apps.

Yeah, they should have done a better job on that. My blackberry always had a close function.

But you can close most programs, just some you can't. Thats when the app comes in handy.

edited: I'm having a hard time typing what I'm trying to say. I just want everyone to love their phone.

But the apps issue isn't that big. It's better than what apple had to offer, up to the next release you couldn't do multitasking. All it takes is one simple app to close those programs that don't have a close function. It doesn't really have that much of a negative impact on my opinion of the phone.

I noticed that my 2.1 phone also could do certain flash sites but it did them horribly as you said before. You can simply disable them. Again, full flash support isn't supposed to be out until 2.2. And again better than what apple did as they totally blocked flash from their devices.

Yes, the interface has remain the same on the iPhone since it was released. That's not a high point for me. Widgets are freaking awesome.

So I don't see how any of this is a deal breaker for you. My main complaint about the android is the battery life but since the battery be easily replaced it's not that big of a deal for me.

From the first part of that post.....

All apps, while you can run several, only the FOREGROUND app is actually consuming resources, including cpu cycles and memory.

Back