"The Passing" DLC Coming in Late March

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"><a>
l4d2-the-passing-021110.jpg
[/url]</div>

[br]The first details about the new Left 4 Dead 2 DLC "The Passing" have been revealed today by Valve. The Passing is set in rural Georgia and will feature non-playable appearances by the original Left 4 Dead Survivors who will help the L4D2's Survivors during the campaign. [br]

Players will also encounter a new "uncommon common" infected, named The Fallen Survivor, which can drop random items when killed. [br]

<div align="center"> </div>[br]

Valve also announced a new add-one for the original Left 4 Dead that will tell you how the Left 4 Dead 1 surviors got to Georgia which will be released a month after "The Passing" DLC.[br]

And that's not all - Valve is also planning to launch a Left 4 Dead comic book that "bridges the gap" between the two DLC packs and explains a little bit more about what's happening in the world. The comic will be illustrated by Powers artist Michael Avon Oeming.[br]

"The Passing" will be released on Xbox 360 and PC in "late March" with more details on the Left 4 Dead downloadable content coming soon. More screenshots after the break. [br]

<div align="center"> </div>

You can't. They will be non-playable characters.

Still no word on if it will cost PC users or not then...not that it would surprise me or that I would object (don't even own L4D2 yet) but it's always fun to watch the community reaction to such things!

The fact that some kind of character interaction with non-infected is going to occur does make me want to play this though...

It's fun to watch people suggest that an in game expansion will cost money on the PC for a valve game.

I doubt it'll cost anything. I'd be very surprised if it did! If it does. I'll still pay :p

Also, is dat sum M60 I see thar?

The Fallen survivor isn't excactly new. He can be spawned via the console.

I love Powers (Despite, sometimes being annoyed at Brian Michael Bendis's rambling dialogue that's padded with profanity) and the View Askew comics, but can they use someone besides Michael Avon Oeming to do their comics for once? I understand he has a good working relationship with VALVe, but should his style represent all their games?

And the original cast are NPCs? :( There goes my dream of an eight player campaign and 16 player versus match. But I guess the passing is a multiple entredee, with the survivors crossing a funeral, the dead and passing through a path as the old cast passes the torch.

Well it's true that Valve haven't charged PC users for additional content...so far. That doesn't mean they won't in future though.

It's fun to watch people suggest that an in game expansion will cost money on the PC for a valve game.

It's fun to see people firmly believe that they never will ;)

They've never given a reason to suggest that they will. They've even said themselves that free DLC drives game sales, which is one of the reasons they do it.

That's what's been said previously yes. But as far as I'm aware they've never said never?

With other popular developers like Bioware whose games are also distributed by EA, offering both free and pay-for dlc, is it not feasible that Valve may consider this?

Just to be clear, I certainly hope that they don't charge PC users for it, but stranger things have certainly happened...

Like I said, there's no reason for them to consider it. They own Steam. They've shown before that they're happy to give away free DLC because, in doing so, it causes more people to buy their games. They don't have to satisfy EA in any way.

I wasn't suggesting Valve would try to appease EA at all. I was merely using them as a common denominator in a comparison to another much loved game development company.

And while Valve have always been fan-centric, they're no charity. A huge amount of people out there would pay for it after all. Even if they did get a little angry first (eg. L4D2 boycott.)

I'm sure Steam earns them plenty, but that's not a cast iron argument against them never charging for dlc. Unless they think they're earning enough right now?

Meh - that's what's immediately coming to mind. Hopefully it won't be like that god-awful DLC that was released for the original L4D. I guess I'm just not interested in L4D2 anymore; its addiction factor has quickly withered away for me I'm afraid.

I wasn't suggesting Valve would try to appease EA at all. I was merely using them as a common denominator in a comparison to another much loved game development company.

And while Valve have always been fan-centric, they're no charity. A huge amount of people out there would pay for it after all. Even if they did get a little angry first (eg. L4D2 boycott.)

I'm sure Steam earns them plenty, but that's not a cast iron argument against them never charging for dlc. Unless they think they're earning enough right now?

On the other hand, there's no evidence to suggest that they are going to charge. It would certainly be very out of character.

Valve supporters can be so naive.

As can their detractors.

As can their detractors.

With L4D2, Valve changed its modus operandi. A new game after just a year, when people keep saying that Valve takes ages because they want perfect things, and so on. Full price for what, in my opinion, was not a full sequel. I smell cow-milking. But I may be wrong.

I'm not sure how it wasn't a full sequel when it had as much content as the original, along with a slew of new features. I think that most people have a problem with them releasing it so soon - if they'd taken 2-3 years to do it, I doubt that anyone would have been bothered.

What I'd like to know is, why aren't they working on episode 3 and instead making even more l4d content.

/sits back and watches.

if they'd taken 2-3 years to do it, I doubt that anyone would have been bothered.

If they'd have taken 2-3 years to make L4D2 it would probably be a far better game. (eg. Team Fortress 2)

Anyway, going back to the dlc:

It would seem out of character yes, especially given the amount of free DLC games like TF2 has been given through the years.

This however would have been quite difficult to restrict people to. For example, it wouldn't be fair to someone without the Scout update to play against those with the heavy update.

However Map packs, such as what this sounds like, are a different matter. You just wouldn't be able to join a server running the new map.

Screw L4D & L4D2 DLC. I want Episode 3, CS 2 and maybe a new IP announcement. I haven't seen anything worthy from valve since 2007 (OB). I bought L4D but I must have played for two weeks and that was it...

TF2 free updates didn't include map packs?

Eejit, while new maps were certainly introduced as part of the updates the focus was usually on the class updates with the maps bundled in.

A fair proportion of these maps have been community made, which might have put potential buyers off if they were sold as part of dlc?

To me it looks like there are just a ridiculous number of pre-spawned zombies which is cool. I wonder what the old crew will do being NPCs? Prolly nothing exciting except be all cameo'd up. I'm interested in the L4D1 DLC even though I don't want to have to go back to play it. I think they should have just SAID that were still going to make L4D1 DLC to appease the complaining people last year and then avoided it once L4D2 became a success. I mean it's the same game in nearly every aspect except with better graphics, more variety, and different characters. Seems to be a waste of time to go back to old stuff...

woah, is it just me or am I see a LOT of zombies in this pics? Will they increase the number of common infected this time around?

But the most importante, will this DLC be free?

Eejit, while new maps were certainly introduced as part of the updates the focus was usually on the class updates with the maps bundled in.

A fair proportion of these maps have been community made, which might have put potential buyers off if they were sold as part of dlc?
I'm confused. Valve do not charge for map packs, whether they be community or Valve-made. They never have, and whether they were included with other updates has little bearing. I see no logical path for your reasoning.

I haven't seen anything worthy from valve since 2007 (OB).
So what you're saying is, you didn't like L4D or L4D2. That's entirely your prerogative ... but it's ONE game type. Valve are obviously working on others, and there's no reason to assume they won't be like the other stuff you previously felt "worthy".

It's sort of like complaining that a car company makes cars you like, and some that you don't. Just because you don't want a minivan doesn't mean the cars you like will suffer. (Okay, that analogy got away from me a bit)

Note, we did have a huuuge number of TF2 updates in that time span.

I'm confused. Valve do not charge for map packs, whether they be community or Valve-made. They never have, and whether they were included with other updates has little bearing. I see no logical path for your reasoning.

That's not 100% true though is it? Since you didn't specify PC only. Am I right in thinking the L4D1 Crashcourse dlc costs points on Xbox Live? (560 points according to the website)

And I'm sure the counter argument from anyone will probably be "but that's Microsoft!" or some anti-console remark. However, if people are willing to pay for this on Xbox, surely it's not a huge stretch to imagine them paying for it the PC (or perhaps it is for some?)

Except it is Microsoft. They won't allow free DLC on the 360.

Yeah it is. Because Valve isn't Microsoft, and M$ doesn't have any say on the PC version.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410830/?of=3

Looks like there's a free pack there?

But that's actually not my point.

My point is that if people are buying this on the xbox, it doesn't feel like a stretch to imagine Valve thinking that pay-for-dlc might be something they could also do on the PC.
From what I've heard devs are allowed to release their first dlc free and the rest costs. Although this doesn't seem to be the case for Bioware, since they've released 3 free dlcs for Mass Effect 2 since launch.

Survival pack was more like a patch anyway.

I doubt Valve will charge for any DLC on the pc, unless it was really huge DLC that added hours of gameplay.

Back