The Phantom Pain- Metal Gear Solid 5?

SnakeTheLegend

Vortigaunt
Reaction score

The new game trailer that supposedly has been deciphered as the next numbered Metal Gear Solid. I find it interesting the many things that happen in this trailer. The supernatural elements and the very surrealistic situations make me very intrigued. I have been an MGS fan since the early playstation era, so I am always interested in what Hideo Kojima comes up with next, but as of late, the series I think has been properly milked. I consider MGS 4 to truly be the "last" MGS game, I didnt care too much for Portable Ops or Peace Walker. The character of Big Boss to me was always one of legend and mystery, which always made the games so suspenseful and interesting. The PSP games try to delve into his backstory, which I think go to convoluted and unnecessary heights to explain. What I am hoping is that this game is either a spiritual successor to the MGS series or some interesting spin-off. Either to me could and would be much more interesting than trying to prolong and milk the franchise to death. I just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on this. Do you give a crap about MGS and where it is heading? Or could you care less?

Of course it is, haha. Kojima loves to pull this kind of shit.

mgs5-phantom-pain1.jpg

The-Phantom-Pain-Metal-Gear-solid-1.jpg

so I guess 4 wasnt the end of the storyline?

More like "so I guess Kojima missed having a nice big pay packet from Sony and decided to milk his franchise some more by releasing hundreds of games at a time alongside a feature film."

Seems legit.

I love and hate the Metal Gear Solid storyline. The gameplay is always really good (except Peace Walker, screw Peace Walker) but I hate all the characters, the story and the storytelling methods.

I love and hate the Metal Gear Solid storyline. The gameplay is always really good (except Peace Walker, screw Peace Walker) but I hate all the characters, the story and the storytelling methods.

Well Kojima himself admits pretty much everything was ripped out of 90's action story lines and conspiracy theories. Not to mention he is pretty good at pulling things out of his ass, i.e MGS 2's ending, which I've heard is total bullshit.

Wait, wasn't Ground Zeroes the next major entry? I guess Big Boss has his own continuity now and that one's just picking up after Peace Walker. Even though he was in a numbered entry already. I'm confused.

Woah woah woah. Hold up a minute....

You guys are telling me that MGS actually has a comprehensible story behind it? Like, one that can be followed and understood? I always thought it was just a bunch of random ass character designs just randomly thrown together with a half-assed attempt to somehow link them all via a incomprehensibly "complex" backstory. I mean, I never played the first game past the first couple hours, but I played 2, 3 and 4 all the way through and didn't understand a god damned thing as far as the plot goes.

This video sums up my entire thoughts on the story as I was playing the game. Where am I? What am I doing here? Why are these guys after me? Is this real? What is going on? etc.

Wait, wasn't Ground Zeroes the next major entry? I guess Big Boss has his own continuity now and that one's just picking up after Peace Walker. Even though he was in a numbered entry already. I'm confused.
As far as I understand they announced a while ago that they were working on two separate games with the new engine.

Well Kojima himself admits pretty much everything was ripped out of 90's action story lines and conspiracy theories. Not to mention he is pretty good at pulling things out of his ass, i.e MGS 2's ending, which I've heard is total bullshit.

It's actually pretty ****ing hilarious and worth watching.

As far as I understand they announced a while ago that they were working on two separate games with the new engine.

They're working on at least 3-4 games and a feature film.

It would seem Kojima wants to turn his franchise into Mario. I'm just waiting for "Metal Gear Party" and a stupid amount of sequels.

If there's one franchise that I'd love to see 1,000 more games of, it's MGS. I even went back and played Peace Walker and actually really liked it once I got past how different it was. Yeah, the MGS2 ending was retardedly hilarious... Good game though.

If Ground Zeroes is Peace Walker game mechanics with MGS4 presentation I'm gonna shit my pants. There's nothing like knocking a dude out and then recruiting him with a free balloon ride.

Oh god Peace Walker. Metal Gear Solid + grinding + shallow management sim + really easy + a story that's even more nosense than normal + paedophilia + repetition + bosses that take a year and a half to die = not fun.

I have very mixed feelings on Peace Walker. I feel that it had a lot of great ideas, just executed poorly. Plus, I thought the story was so cheesy by the end. It started pretty cool, than just kind of went down hill. MGS2 is probably one of the most misunderstood games in gaming history. Yes, the game is confusing as hell, the story is bat#% crazy,but I feel that this was the intent of Hideo Kojima. Everything from advertising to the gameplay trailers showed Snake, getting players really excited. Then it turns out that you play Snake for the first hour and Raiden for the rest. A huge theme of the game is misinformation and manipulation through technology, which in part happens to Raiden in the game and to the players of MGS expecting to be snake. I will forever defend this misunderstood gem. When I was a kid I was confused and so overwhelmed by the story in MGS2, it was only until I got older that I appreciated the game so much more.

Oh god Peace Walker. Metal Gear Solid + grinding + shallow management sim + really easy + a story that's even more nosense than normal + paedophilia + repetition + bosses that take a year and a half to die = not fun.
The trick is to not kill anyone and fulton everyone you can. By the time you actually start collecting MG parts you should have almost 100 people in every department and almost every gun <lvl60. Then it's actually pretty fun. Did you beat it? Cuz there's way more stuff in the management sim aspect as you progress. It's not perfect but it's one of my favorite portable games thus far (even though I played it in the HD collection).

EDIT: I also happen to think the idea of having some sort of fail safe nuclear deterrent was a creative way to implement Metal Gear. The characters are as if they were from some really over the top anime comic, but then again that's exactly what it was trying to be stylistically.

The trick is to not kill anyone and fulton everyone you can. By the time you actually start collecting MG parts you should have almost 100 people in every department and almost every gun <lvl60. Then it's actually pretty fun. Did you beat it? Cuz there's way more stuff in the management sim aspect as you progress. It's not perfect but it's one of my favorite portable games thus far (even though I played it in the HD collection).

EDIT: I also happen to think the idea of having some sort of fail safe nuclear deterrent was a creative way to implement Metal Gear. The characters are as if they were from some really over the top anime comic, but then again that's exactly what it was trying to be stylistically.
I played it in the HD collection and haven't completely finished it but I got to the point where the main plot is done and you have to grind missions until you have a completed Zeke and the bad guy keeps escaping from prison over and over and over again.

Back