The Rail Gun lives in HL2

G

Ghost

I noticed it the other day when I decided to watch PHL's huge 25 minute E3 video. I was looking at hlcentral's weapon section and realized it wasn't listed, whether it's because they know but they didn't update or because they hadn't noticed I wasn't sure about, so I decided to post about it.

The Tau Cannon/Gauss Rifle/Rail Gun (whatever you refer to it as) appears to be in Half-Life 2, but perhaps not as a weapon you carry. In the sequence demonstrating the drivable vehicles, if you look closely at the buggie Gordon drives the gun on the hood appears to be the Gauss Rifle with a slightly dufferant design.

Later in the sequence, after Gordon runs over a Combine Soldier but before he crashes through the warehouse window, he fires the gun. It has the same yellow laser sprite and it makes the same sound as it did in HL. There is also a point where he charges the gun; it has the same charge sound and the coils in the back of the gun spin like the Gauss in HL does. You have to listen closely since there is alot of background sound playing (music, gun shots, and the fan from the flying thing).

I can't say for sure that it IS the same gun since it does have a slightly differant design, but the sounds and sprites all fit, and it certainly could just be a modified version of the weapon since it has a slicker design (and it's been years since Black Mesa). Also, there's no way to know yet whether or not you'll actually to be able to carry the gun around with you.

Watch the video again and tell me what you think.

Yep, you are correct, it is a Rail Gun. About carrying it, I have no idea either.

http://www.******/weapons/images/gauss.jpg

I wonder if you can attach weapons to brushes eg: that buggy thingy...hmmm...I wonder

Does it really have the same sound though .. I'm not sure. But you're probably right.

dont be annoying.. if you would do this in all off the double discussed threads then you would be banned because off spamming. and you would have 10.000 post's :)

annyway. i think the freedom forces saw the succes of the weapon and evolved it by making diffrent versions of it (for vehicles, turrets and for personal use)

It would be awesome if the you could easily attach weapons to brushes.

A buggy with an Gluon gun in the front would own the world in which case.

Or imagine making a level with a roaming train that can fire the Gauss Gun at the player as he races against it in his buggy. Or attatching the Manipulator to a troop transport so you can pick up a dumpster and use it as a sort of plow/shield.

Mmmmm, the sweetness of possibilities if it is true.

But, remember, the vehicles are model-based and not brush-based :)

if you look at the picture of the gun it looks like it has a kind of handle on it, maybe you carry it a bit like a mini-gun? it would be cool if ingame you could pull it off the buggy an jus start wandering round with it. :cheers:

It makes the same sound as in HL1, if you listen carefully.

Actually, I dont think it's a handle, it's connecting the back part of the gun with the front, over the spinny charger thing. Either way, I really hope you can use it off the buggy, it was my favorite weapon in HL

how can you not be able to carry that mint gun in HL2 i mean ffs its fires thro0 walls :O

I'm sure there's bound to be a handheld version. Too cool not to be. Seriously... firing through walls? Interesting physics and deformable structures images float through my mind.

I hope the sprite improves though. The laser light of the thing in HL1 looked very MS Paint.

It's the wibble (gauss) gun not a rail weapon; rg's magnetically launch metal slugs along two rails up to supersonic speeds. Said slugs then impact on the target with all the force of a flying bulldozer.

The Gauss gun is just an energy weapon: primary fire is single shot blasts; secondary fire has it wibbling up to produce a huge blast that can hit targets through walls. Hence the cries of "l@mX0r ch33t0r" on the DM servers soon after HL came out because of this fun feature...

I am extremely sad that it looks like it's only going to be a vehicle mounted weapon in HL2... :(

Originally posted by djkanuk
I'm sure there's bound to be a handheld version. Too cool not to be. Seriously... firing through walls? Interesting physics and deformable structures images float through my mind.

I hope the sprite improves though. The laser light of the thing in HL1 looked very MS Paint.
I'm almost positive there will be a handheld version, remember gabe said that all the weapons from the original will be returning. Im sure he meant that you can acctually pick them up and find them in game.

Not sure if he ever said all, since he's already said the SMG isn't the MP5. But I agree, there will be a handheld version.

Originally posted by simmo2k3
I wonder if you can attach weapons to brushes eg: that buggy thingy...hmmm...I wonder
vehicles are done with models and not brushes.

Originally posted by djkanuk

The one in HL1 did fire through walls. was funny the grunts dint know what hit them :cheese:

There was a certain angle that caught me out a few times - thought I'd be smart and power up, except that at an angle of incidence of roughly 60 degrees, the powered up shot reflects straight back and kills you :S.

I agree with snark. Real rail guns only fire special projectiles which are sped along the rails by magnetic induction. They may have enough force to deform or puncture a wall, but not magically go through it.

The gun in the game has to be a sort of energy weapon.

Back