The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings

Wouldn't surprise me, I mean we've had Marge Simpson on PlayBoy after all, so why not video game characters?

Bloodrayne already was on Playboy. That "magazine" has sunk way, waaay down. Hard to believe considering that they were already the bottom rung even during it's heyday.

I'd love to chuck my wallet at CDP, if only they would pull their fingers out and release a proper set of minimum requirements. The idea that my machine, which recently played Portal 2 on high settings, doesn't even meet their current MINIMUM spec, for a game which was developed with a PS3/360 port in mind, is surely a load of ballbags.

Of course maybe it really is just the most disgustingly optimised game ever, but more likely that they haven't put a lot of thought or testing into the minimum required rig.

I'd love to chuck my wallet at CDP, if only they would pull their fingers out and release a proper set of minimum requirements. The idea that my machine, which recently played Portal 2 on high settings, doesn't even meet their current MINIMUM spec, for a game which was developed with a PS3/360 port in mind, is surely a load of ballbags.

Of course maybe it really is just the most disgustingly optimised game ever, but more likely that they haven't put a lot of thought or testing into the minimum required rig.
Will there be a demo?

I think it's been mentioned on their forums that there may be a demo/benchmark but that it would certainly not precede the main release. Can't remember either if this was hinting from an official source or speculation from fans.

Hmm, those are some meaty specs.

Couldn't help but notice some framerate dips in the last few official videos, I had assumed it was still a way off from release.

Have they said whether or not your choices in The Witcher will have any sort of significant impact in the sequel if you import a save?

I still can't decide if I should go CE or buy it from GOG.

The CE is undoubtedly the nicest CE I've ever seen over here in my country.

One thing that RPS doesn't mention but which I read from an official (I think) source on CDP's forums was that language packs can be downloaded in a modular fashion after release. So if the English VO sucks, I guess you'll be able to download the Polish with subs, or if you're living as an expat somewhere you can grab your original language VO or whatever. Not sure if there are as many VO languages available as in the TW: EE, but it's still cool if I've understood it correctly.

a8mw1.jpg

And so it comes with a HOLY F*CK option intended for the people who have THE BEST. Info here.

CD Projekt's RPG The Witcher 2 is set to launch in a matter of days, but already those who pre-ordered the game on Steam can now take a peek at the game's readme. Doing so reveals a very long list of graphics options, one of which in particular stands out: "Uber sampling."

As you'd expect, it's a high end option: "The whole scene is rendered multiple times to give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing (better than antialias and anisotropy even on highest settings)." The developer says this is intended only for those with both the best possible CPU and GPU available now (X4 980 / i7 980X and 6990 / 590).

I'll try playing 1 again.. I tried before, but I just found the combat..
not fun

Launch trailers!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/16/the-witcher-2-has-four-launch-trailers/

All... three of them? O_O

Edit: Youtube links for convenience. God these are tasty (minus the re-used footage).

Another edit: Uhh seems like maybe only 3 of these are launch trailers? That last one was uploaded a few days ago. Oh well.

Final edit: Yeah, that "how to kill a witcher" video is a few days old and not one of the launch trailers. I'll leave up the embed though, since it doesn't look like anyone else posted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu5JVduuBDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GjMm4y7M4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6onlSyKhnWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qwer4SwQQM

I'm not watching trailers out ot fear of tiny spoilers, still I'm so hyped about this game.

I am also pleased that it will be shorter than The Witcher 1, I do prefer shorter more 'focused' experiences these days generally.

It's shorter? Good :)

i'm all for good game length and value but imo when a game starts to get longer than 40 hours its taking the piss abit and probably just fluffing itself out deliberately.

I still need to do the first witcher from my backlog but the 60 hour+ length is putting me off =/

It's shorter? Good :)

i'm all for good game length and value but imo when a game starts to get longer than 40 hours its taking the piss abit and probably just fluffing itself out deliberately.

I still need to do the first witcher from my backlog but the 60 hour+ length is putting me off =/

I hear you, part of the length of TW1 makes me glad my retail copy of the game doesn't seem to like my disc-reader.

I just hope TW2 has a good 'prologue' to remind me of the original's story again.

Edit: Also, I just cancelled my CE pre-order. I realized that I usually end up not really making use of bonus-contents from CEs at all so. Bought the game from GOG instead now. Will probably pick up a future retail version if they pull an Enhanced Edition kinda thing later on.

Double Edit: Just got email from store saying my PC has shipped, so hopefully I'll actually have it in my home tomorrow!

Was TW1 60 hours long? I don't remember it being anywhere near that long.

Took me 63 hours to complete, main quest + a bunch of side quests.

So you're saying I probably wont be able to start and beat the first game before the next is out?

Really glad I got a new PC for this after checking out that benchmark, heh.

Wow so I could expect probably 15 FPS on those settings. Jesus, learn to ****ing optimize.

What are your specs?

http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/433069/2011-05-11

Click WEBBSHOP if you get a popup, it controls the pricing.

I paid a bit less than that though thanks to a promo.

Big step up from my current PC, Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz, 2 gigs of mediocre RAM and a GeForce 7900GS 256mb.

I originally pondered going SLI but decided to go for a single-GPU setup instead.

Wow so I could expect probably 15 FPS on those settings. Jesus, learn to ****ing optimize.

On uber settings? No ****ing shit sherlock. Its not about optimization, its about doing things that push modern video cards' limits. You can bet your ass the game will be optimized to run on a large number of PCs, but you can't expect bleeding edge settings to work on older generation hardware. The whole notion that developers aren't optimizing their games well because the ridiculous settings they allow you to enable don't work good on your hardware pisses me off. You want to know why you can play other games on max settings and get plenty of fps? Because they don't even give you the ****ing option of running it on better settings. You people act like that is a better way to do it than giving you the option to turn up the settings higher than your current card can handle. The Witcher 2 is going to look good several years down the line because they allow you to have higher settings than most people can even utilize right now. Other games won't look good in a year from now. Just because you don't like the way the word "medium settings" makes you feel doesn't mean that it won't look good.

I mean, I don't mean to explode on you in particular, but god damn that mentality pisses me off.

On uber settings? No ****ing shit sherlock. Its not about optimization, its about doing things that push modern video cards' limits. You can bet your ass the game will be optimized to run on a large number of PCs, but you can't expect bleeding edge settings to work on older generation hardware. The whole notion that developers aren't optimizing their games well because the ridiculous settings they allow you to enable don't work good on your hardware pisses me off. You want to know why you can play other games on max settings and get plenty of fps? Because they don't even give you the ****ing option of running it on better settings. You people act like that is a better way to do it than giving you the option to turn up the settings higher than your current card can handle. The Witcher 2 is going to look good several years down the line because they allow you to have higher settings than most people can even utilize right now. Other games won't look good in a year from now. Just because you don't like the way the word "medium settings" makes you feel doesn't mean that it won't look good.

I mean, I don't mean to explode on you in particular, but god damn that mentality pisses me off.
While it isn't reasonable for everyone to expect good FPS on max settings, I have no problem with Letters or anyone else swearing at devs about optimisation. You can't actually bet your arse that TW2 will be optimised to run on a large number of PCs since TW1 was not, so CDP have previous for getting the balance wrong.

Aside from that, a minor alarm bell which suggests they are focusing disproportionately on the 'bleeding edge' rather than lower end scalability for TW2 is the fact that the min spec GPU is a GeForce 8800 or equivalent. Admittedly that is an ageing set of cards, but they still perform strongly in most modern games and there is no definitive difference in supported software between, say, an 8600GT and an 8800GS (same shader model and DirectX support). Furthermore there are murmurs that the game will run, perhaps even run well, on rigs that are a couple of rungs below the minimum requirements, which sort of throws the whole 'minimum' thing out the window and makes a person wonder how much CDP have tested on lower end hardware at all.

I broadly agree with you in principle, but too often this 'bleeding edge' focus tends to go hand in hand with shite optimisation. For example, GTA IV's 'future proofing' seemed to just be something to hide behind whenever R* were questioned about how sluggishly it ran. Only a small fraction of the people who bought GTA IV were still playing a year or even 6 months later, so the better-than-current options on those sliders - some of which would still probably make a bleeding edge PC run like molasses - were largely pointless. There's a point where giving consumers freedom of choice is just a smokescreen for devs shirking their own design choices. I'd say that goes double for a story driven RPG with no multiplayer and a 'mature', broader spectrum appeal. I remember seeing everyone from housewives to geriatrics chatting on TW1 forums about the story (and the sluggish performance) back in the day, and it's a safe bet that those demographic don't have too many GTX580s in their possession.

So yeah, you're not wrong, but in cases where a game has options to please people on the bleeding edge but runs like plopolah even on lower settings for everyone else, as some games have done, then you're not right either. I guess it remains to be seen how TW2 will do; I'd be interested in hearing about performance from anyone on here with a lower end rig.

Apparently most of the mainstream gaming sites didn't get review copies (probably none of them). D:

It's finally time to play CD Projekt RED's anticipated sequel, and you might be wondering where the IGN review is. Well, we're in the same boat as you on this one. IGN did not receive early copies for The Witcher 2 and cannot provide a launch day review. Instead, we'll be playing alongside you in the days to come and updating this story with impressions, screenshots and video.

Source

I think i'll hold off for a PC upgrade before trying this beast!

Going through the first. After a few hours I finally chose to stick with French with English subs.

English is a joke, can't take anything seriously in the game with the English VO. Polish is great but too hard on the ears, gets very annoying after a while; very similar to hearing bandits talk in Stalker, really tired of hearing Ukrainian/Russian/Polish type accents in games :p

French seems just about right, enough variation in tone, but also soft enough to listen to for several hours.

Been playing most of today, and I'm pretty impressed so far. The linear prologue is way too long and combat is brutally hard (I had to switch it to easy after dying like 20 times on the dragon part, which is really crazy), but once I got to the first village the game really got going. Gameplay is pretty good all around and the game in general is basically what you expect from a European hardcore PC RPG of this sort, but what's really impressive is how well they handle the characters and all the complicated fantasy politics that go on between them. There is no arbitrary morality systems of any sort and most of the game so far has been about unraveling all these tangled webs of motives and conflicts to figure what the right thing to do is, with hand holding kept to a minimum. The acting and writing isn't really mind blowing, but it's good enough for me take the world and consequences seriously. I still haven't traveled far outside the first village, so I'm curious as to what the wider world and space between towns is like, but so far it's looking like an excellent game.

Damn, this is looking sweet, too bad I'd need an upgrade to play it :| I enjoyed the first game a lot.

Polish is great but too hard on the ears, gets very annoying after a while.

dealwiedzmin.jpg

Started playing it through on hard. It was difficult at the start while I was getting used to the mechanics, but now it's very playable, and provides a good challenge. I'm loving it so far. A lot more polished than the first, though there are a few visual glitches I could do without.

Back