The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings

I can only hope that those voices are temporary and will be replaced with proper voice actors.

still need to upgrade so I can actually finish the first one...I hope the new engine is better optimized than the old crap.

I can only hope that those voices are temporary and will be replaced with proper voice actors.

Considering this is a LEAKED ALPHA video that was never intended to be shown to the public, I think it's a safe bet to say the voices are most likely temporary.

Oh god, I still need to beat the first one.

Man, the first game's story was just barely comprehensible, it was so out there.

And now it's getting a sequel? ****.

This news is almost good enough to brighten my shitty day. I wouldn't worry about the voiceovers, considering half of the current voices sound like the devs themselves, and also that the english voiceover in the first game wasn't great anyway.

What I am worried about is whether I'll have a rig that can run it. Also, QTE's are a bad idea and I wish they hadn't implemented them. Even in this footage, you can see Geralt go through exactly the same cookie cutter cut scene twice because he fluffed the QTE first time around. That shit gets so old.

I guarantee that the writers were doing the voices just to see how it sounds and to give the voice actors an idea of the pacing and inflections of the dialogue.

Kinda sucks that their video got leaked though.

My shitty rig can't run the original and the console release was canned. Lame.

This looks awesome alright.

I have the 1st game but I've yet to play it. Too many games and not enough time

Best news yet. I loved the The Witcher and can't wait for this. I have huge expectations for this and i believe this one is being built on a new engine that is actually capable of handling it. They realised to late in development that the Aurora engine was a poor choice and simply couldn't handle the new features they added. This new engine is supposed to be able to handle more effects with better performance.
To say that this was a leaked video of an early alpha version i'm already impressed.

OPs video was a pitch trailer intended for securing funding for the project. I'm surprised they managed to pull it off (considering CDP cut most of Wither-related project due to the crisis).

Maybe I should finally get the 1st one. Since it's the biggest game from a native developer and all. Enjoyed the books as a kid too. It's dirt cheap for the apparent value, but I'm still downloading the demo to see if it's my type of game.

To those that didn't finish it - was it not gripping, or do you have short attention spans?

I'll take a guess and say that the reason Sliv and B_Man stopped playing when they got to the swamp area was because... it's the swamp area. I finished the Witcher and really loved it, but on a second play through I drifted away from it when I had to complete the swamp stuff. It isn't terrible, but it's a fairly irritating, sprawling, dungeon-esque area full of awkward, tough enemies, plus it's more instrumental to progress with the main plot than it should be. I'd liken it to the catacombs/Warrens of Thought in Planescape or the Firewine ruins in BG1, except it outstays its welcome slightly longer than those.

Definitely worth persevering with, though, because the stuff happening parallel to and after the swamp stuff is great. Having said that, on my first run through I was hooked and couldn't have imagined giving up on the game as some did, so maybe it's a just matter of taste.

As for the demo, everyone I've heard from who played both the demo and the full game has stated that they don't think the demo does it justice at all.

I feel like firing it up and completing that second play through now...

Yeah, it took me a few days of 'pausing' from the game after getting half-way through the swamps, that area was annoying, but after that the game really picks itself up again.

2r3jmkp.jpg

Hidden message that was in the latest gameplayer trailer.

I got the first game but really couldn't get into it. This, however, looks pretty darn great. Maybe I'll have to give it another go some time...

Oh, I wanted to buy The Witcher, but I did not meet the requirements at the time. I just ran a test and it says I will be able to run it at very high settings. So, need to pick up the first.

Any details on the recommended requirements for Witcher 2?

That message had quite a few error's in it, for example they use ´s instead of 's!

And using "those days" to refer to the present.

I hope they do a better job of proof-reading the game's script.:LOL:

Holy... SHIT that is downright gorgeous. God I hope I can afford my new rig by the time this comes out.

That message had quite a few error's in it, for example they use ´s instead of 's!

And using "those days" to refer to the present.

I hope they do a better job of proof-reading the game's script.:LOL:
Yeah, damn swed... uhh I mean... :x

It is indeed absolutely gorgeous, I hope they'll release recommended sys specs soon enough, so I can use that as a baseline when putting together my new computer.

I smell DX11

I don't think it will be required, but DX10 most likely will, as a minimum.

Holy shit. Those screens look fantastic. Gamespot just posted up an in-game cutscene too: http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewi...ssassins-of-kings-in-game-cutscene-video?hd=1

I still need to finish the first game, funnily enough it lost me in the swamps as well. It wasn't especially bad...but ehh. I just started to rapidly lose interest at that point and had plenty of other games to distract me. Definitely need to jump back in and finish it at some point after seeing this stuff.

Shame there's not yet been any word on the console port plans that were announed in September last year for Witcher 2, because this will honest to God rape my current comp and I'm not sure if I'm ready to get a new PC, seeing as I do very little of my gaming with high-end games on the PC, and stick mostly to my 360 and PS3..

BAH!

I'm playing the Witcher demo and quite enjoy it, I think I'll pick up the game tomorrow.

I don't understand one thing however - the weapons' damage. I have the first sword and it has -30% dmg. I can buy a -20% damage sword in the shop, but also some other weapons that have for example 2-6 dmg. How can I compare those? How much damage does a -30% sword deal? -30% of what, base damage? So what's the point - am I better off fighting with my fists?

I'm playing the Witcher demo and quite enjoy it, I think I'll pick up the game tomorrow.

I don't understand one thing however - the weapons' damage. I have the first sword and it has -30% dmg. I can buy a -20% damage sword in the shop, but also some other weapons that have for example 2-6 dmg. How can I compare those? How much damage does a -30% sword deal? -30% of what, base damage? So what's the point - am I better off fighting with my fists?
Look for swords that say 'Used in Witcher combat styles', since these are really the only weapons that matter. The sword you're carrying and the ones in the shops probably fall into this category. The base damage Geralt does with this weapon is derived from his stats (which you allocate) in Strength, Dex, fast/strong/group steel sword and fast/strong/group silver sword. You can't fight with your fists except in taverns and certain trials.

The other weapons - with precise damage values - don't allow you to build combos and in my experience they're almost useless. However sometimes you find such a weapon that has a useful property, like a high chance to stun, so I guess some people might keep them around for that purpose. Also, I've heard that you occasionally get a unique coup de grace animation if you keep a dagger equipped. In any case you get like 2 extra slots for such weapons so it's not like you're faced with difficult choices about which ones to carry.

Doesn't sound like it'll affect The Witcher 2 in any notable way, but who knows.

Back