The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings

As if that is something unique nowadays. They certainly won't be the first dev to do it.

CD Projekt can't afford that. They already cut costs by canning the Witcher 1 expansion and the console port; limiting their market by making DX10 mandatory to enjoy the game would be counterproductive and would cut into profits severely.

Do your research Shaggermater.

As if that is something unique nowadays. They certainly won't be the first dev to do it.

Feel free to list me how many PC games there are that will only run on DX10.

I'd say given how many PC games that come out and how few are DX10+ exclusive, I'd say that yes, it is something quite unique.

halo2_vista_425px.jpg

TrollFace.jpg

Well, it was just a guess, to be perfectly honest. Now that I think about it, it's probably DX9 and will support DX10 & 11, with enhanced graphics.

I don't know how many games require DX10+, but you might find some here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_10_support

EDIT: I don't think that list is very well kept. It's missing all the games I look for. Only 2 Valve games, no Codemasters games, no Bethesda Softworks games..

I'd say given how many PC games that come out and how few are DX10+ exclusive, I'd say that yes, it is something quite unique.

Agreed. DX9 for PC games is still the basic platform. That's why I laugh at DX11. Start making proper DX10 games first.

It isn't a given no, but it's still pretty damned likely.

Agreed. DX9 for PC games is still the basic platform. That's why I laugh at DX11. Start making proper DX10 games first.

DX10 is the joke you should be laughing at, from what I hear. I know personally, I went straight from DX9 to DX11. (XP to Windows 7), and when I get my next video card, it will be DX11. (My current card is DX9)

Yeah when I get my next PC(Not sure how soon, got the cash but afraid of losing compatability with some of my older games when going to Win7.) it will definitely have a DX11 GPU, thinking of going nVidia.

Will definitely have bought it before The Witcher 2 comes out at least, pondering getting it just in time for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Deus Ex on the consoles? No thanks.

This game suddenly appeared on Steam. It is coming out this month already? I thought it was a 2011 release.

EDIT A couple of days ago it was announced for May 17th 2011. This must be a cock-up.

They announced today the CE coming in May 2011 plus the different preorder bonuses, so thats definitely wrong.

Bought it anyway though, really looking forward to this.

It will also be sold through GOG.com it seems. It will be DRM-free and this is quite interesting:

The game is scheduled for release on or around May 17, 2011, and is priced at €49.99 for EU citizens, £34.99 GBP for UK citizens, and $49.99 USD for the rest of the world. Customers who pre-order the game will receive 10% off their purchase, bringing the price for a pre-order down to €44.99 EU, £31.49 GBP, and $44.99 USD respectively. Because the price in Euros is almost $16 USD more than the price in dollars, and the price in GBP is roughly $6 more than the price in dollars, GOG.com is making its pricing fair by giving EU purchasers a $16 USD GOG.com store credit and UK customers a $6 USD GOG.com store credit to spend on any game at GOG.com after they finalize their pre-order.

Holy shit, it's 16gbs?!

Also, GOG.com is beginning to make their name misleading.

The game itself is 8 gigs, you'll probably get to choose not to download all the extra content.

Nice to see CD Projekt putting their money where their mouth is, they've already earned a lot of goodwill from me.

sold. well, not yet...
but the game looks great and it looks like they're remaining faithful to the PC community which I respect so...
SOLD

The game itself is 8 gigs, you'll probably get to choose not to download all the extra content.

Nice to see CD Projekt putting their money where their mouth is, they've already earned a lot of goodwill from me.
Just small enough to fit on a DVD-9 for the XB360 version then.

To all anti-DRM crusaders: now it's the time to show that DRM-free games can sell and make a profit. We are morally obliged to buy the game through GoG/CD Projekt.

Gonna get it for sure.

If only I'd finish the first game. Funnily enough I stopped in the swamp area.

Gonna get it for sure.

If only I'd finish the first game. Funnily enough I stopped in the swamp area.

You'd be surprised how many people I know who stopped playing The Witcher in the swamp area.

Seriously, I know at least 6 people that put the game down when they reached that part.

The game is not actually titled Assassin's of Kings, you know. It's Assassins of Kings.

You'd be surprised how many people I know who stopped playing The Witcher in the swamp area.

Seriously, I know at least 6 people that put the game down when they reached that part.

Also yeah, that's my point. I know a lot of people who stopped at the swamp area, too. Funny.

Bad decision, torrent "sneaking" companies have quite a bad rep, I know of at least one in the UK which had it's license revoked, it also functioned partly as a law-firm I think.

It turned out they produced fake results of people downloading files etc just to make as much money as possible.

Honestly, if they sign with such companies, then I'd rather prefer they just included DRMs instead.

Sure, it doesn't that much to me since I've pre-ordered it and all, I just feel that one should stay away from entering into agreements with companies that produce false results to scam people off their money.

I'm still torn between where to pre-order from. GOG to support CD Projekt as much as possible and get a free game, or Steam for the sake of convenience.

Personally I'd go for GOG since it means you truly are completely DRM free, you can just transfer the game to an USB memory or some such, then install it on another PC even if said PC doesn't have internet connection etc.

You can't do that with Steam games, at least not legally.

I'm still torn between where to pre-order from. GOG to support CD Projekt as much as possible and get a free game, or Steam for the sake of convenience.

If we want to support the DRM-free crusade, GOG is the only way to go. I love Steam, but this time is a matter of principle. Not buying a DRM-free mainstream game would mean that, in the future, we won't be entitled to complain about DRM.

I would love to buy over GoG but the university internet is so slow it would take weeks to download the game.

awesome
the combat looks way more intuitive and satisfying
engine looks fantastic too!

The Witcher 2 dev slams DA2's shitty graphics.

And we look better. I mean, sorry, seriously–I love Bethesda, BioWare games, I play them. But, c’mon. You cannot be indifferent to that, you cannot omit the difference. We simply look better.”

...not to mention DA2's generic fantasy world.

“How would you distinguish your game from Dragon Age 2?” Here’s what he said.

Tomas Gop: “That’s quite easy, actually. There are a few things that I can easily find. First, we don’t have a generic fantasy world.

Yeah sure, it's all true (TW2 does look a lot better than DA2) but still, OH NO HE DIDN'T.

nothin like a little controversy to stir the pot

Back