the worlds first Second Person Shooter

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
it's actually weirder than it sounds:

Shoot yourself to survive

"Julian Oliver is investigating the second-person shooter format, what it might look and play like.

In this take on the 2nd Person Perspective, you control yourself through the eyes of the bot, but you do not control the bot. Your eyes have effectively been switched. Naturally this makes action difficult when you aren't within the bot's field of view; thus both you and the bot (or other player) will need to work together, to destroy each other"

here's the demo

I'm at work, so no I havent tried it ..I was hoping one of you would

Game runs, controls aren't responding...
Yet I see this weird thing on the bottom left corner...
It's got a red rod, and two wheel-looking things...

Help?

Are you sure the controls arnt responding. You are looking thru the eyes of a bot you know.

xlucidx said:
Game runs, controls aren't responding...
Yet I see this weird thing on the bottom left corner...
It's got a red rod, and two wheel-looking things...

Help?
Same problem here

The controls ar eresponding, u just cant see yourself....idiots.

The bot doesnt seem to move so its hard to get in its feild of view.

solaris152000 said:
The controls ar eresponding, u just cant see yourself....idiots.

The bot doesnt seem to move so its hard to get in its feild of view.
Then why does it have "You" in the bottom left of the screen, but nothing happens when we push W, A, S, or D?

Indeed, I've been pushing the WASD buttons for ages now to see if I would come up, but I'm nowhere to be found :/

I found my self once, but havent done so again.

Ah, I found out that if you press S (backwards) to begin, you'll show up real quick.

it jus closes out, its probably a waste of time anyway

EC said:
Ah, I found out that if you press S (backwards) to begin, you'll show up real quick.
Yep! Then move with WASD. Hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse to turn.. Shoot with space. ALT makes you bend over but doesnt seem to accomplish anything.

Oh, and the gfx and gameplay are total crap. Even for an alpha.

I dont think this would ever work as a game,.. as the other player has controll of your eyes,. to protect themselves they need only to turn around.

Very interesting. Unfortunately this demo seems to be significantly flawed. Second-person has actually been implemented in games before, however it's never been used as the main point of view AFAIK.

:dozey: The concept seems kinda cool, but this thing doesn't pull it off right. Second-person requires quite the imagination and creativity, maybe.

Lmfao that was fun as hell...not really fun, but crazy!

f|uke said:
I dont think this would ever work as a game,.. as the other player has controll of your eyes,. to protect themselves they need only to turn around.
theyre probably going to implement it in a silent scope sort of game . but ur right it doesnt have a wide range of uses i dont see multiplayer ever being possible in this format

mindless_moder said:
theyre probably going to implement it in a silent scope sort of game . but ur right it doesnt have a wide range of uses i dont see multiplayer ever being possible in this format
Yeah, something in silent scope would be pretty crazy.

No reason but it ran very jolty for me. I could hardly move.

Wow, this game looks ****ing horrible. I can't believe some of the games that get made nowadays.

This seems to be the most pointless game ever created. You start without being able to see yourself, so how are you supposed to find each other IF YOU CAN'T SEE WHERE YOU'RE GOING?

Waste of time.

This game would work if the second person was a monkey located on your back...

This demo was broken, now fixed.

Hola,

I made this little demo to explore the whole 2nd person user control paradigm.
No, it's not going to look as it does in future. The scene was put together in a few hours just to support development of the idea.

Anyway, on the 14th the game was fixed for Win32 users. Before this time it was broken; those without a full python installation on board would have played it with a very static, errm dead bot.

If keen grab it again and give it a whirl:

http://selectparks.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=284

Cheers,

Julian

This game is just.. pointless. What kind of situation would this game be reinacting? Switching heads with someone? This looks like just a really dumb experiment that I'm sure any gamer has thought of atleast once but dismissed immediately after he realised it would not be fun, at all.

vegeta897 said:
This game is just.. pointless. What kind of situation would this game be reinacting? Switching heads with someone? This looks like just a really dumb experiment that I'm sure any gamer has thought of atleast once but dismissed immediately after he realised it would not be fun, at all.

I agree. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying...wow...really bad idea :|

Back