Theory on Chell's Parents

Reaction score
I thinking about the theory that Cave Johnson+Caroline=Chell. Some say that since both parents were dead by Bring Your Daughter to Work Day, it isn't possible.

but wait.

Both Wheatley and GLaDOS claim that Chell is adopted. I know that they're probably simply mocking her, but could it still be that..?

I'm tired of "theories" that fill in all the blanks using existing characters in the game. It's the work of a lazy imagination.

Maybe we should expand NOLGTA to by NOLVTA.

The Turret song at the end supports this theory, as do many quotes through out the game. The potato exhibits from "Bring your daughter to work day", show that the giant mutant potato was done by a little girl named? So much of the game insinuates that if not the product of Cave, Chell is at the very least, Caroline's (GLaDOS), daughter.

.... "and remember, 'bring your daughter to work day' is the perfect time to get her tested."

While she's clearly SOME employee's daughter, there's absolutely no insinuation that she's the daughter of Cave Johnson OR Carolyn.

Perhaps I can interest you in one of the "G-Man is Gordon Freeman from the future" threads.

While I actually enjoy the implications that Chell is Caroline's daughter, there isn't solid evidence to support this theory. What I do think is clear is that there is a mother daughter relationship/sentiment that forms between Chell and GLaDOS through the course of Portal 2 (unorthodox as it is). The turret opera strongly supports this if nothing else.

Its almost more touching to think the GLaDOS, though she would never admit it, grew to care about Chell (in her own crazy mind). I was honestly touched by the Turret Opera and a little sad that GLaDOS was now alone. Sure GLaDOS will go on testing, but GLaDOS sacrificed that small portion of her that feels emotion to let Chell go.

I just keep thinking of that manipulative and sadistic computer AI that secretly has a small spark of compassion all alone. Makes me kinda sad.

People don't seem to care that I'm merely deflecting a criticism of someone else's theory, which I don't really buy anyway.

Cara bel, Cara Mia Bella, Mia bambina, o Ciel, Che elle stima! Che elle stima! Oh cara mia, addido! La mia bambina cara, perché non passi lontana? Sì, lontana da Scïenza, Cara, cara mia bambina... Ah, mia bella! Ah, mia cara! Ah, mia cara! Ah, mia bambina! Oh cara, cara mia...
This is the turret opera at the end.
Translation:Dear Bel, Cara Mia Bella, my baby, or Ciel, elle estimate! That estimate elle! Oh my dear, addido! My dear girl, why not walk away? Yes, away from science, dear, my dear child ... Ah, my pretty! Ah, my dear! Ah, my dear! Ah, my child! Oh dear, my dear ...
I used google translator, i dont speak italian.

Cara bel, cara mia bella. - My dear, beautiful darling.
Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. - My child that I admire.
A cara mia, addio! - To my dear, farewell!
Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana de scienza? - My dear girl, why don't you stay away, yes away from science?
Cara cara mia bambina. - My dear, dear girl.
A mia bel. - To my lovely.
A mia cara. - To my dear.
A mia bambina. - To my child.
A cara, cari a mi! - My dear, dear to me!

That song (sung by the fat turret as you travel up the elavator to the surface) suggests that she is GLaDoS' daughter since all the songs seem to be from GLaDoS' view point.
[Lyrics and translation taken from music.portal2sounds.com]

I'd love for this to be true and be revealed if they make a 3rd Portal, anyone know if Portal 3 is going to be made? That would be amazing. ?

That is quite some theroy you got there.

Were you also aware that Dr Kleiner had inappropriate relations with a Strider and Dog was born as a result?

Cara bel, cara mia bella. - My dear, beautiful darling.
Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. - My child that I admire.
A cara mia, addio! - To my dear, farewell!
Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana de scienza? - My dear girl, why don't you stay away, yes away from science?
Cara cara mia bambina. - My dear, dear girl.
A mia bel. - To my lovely.
A mia bambina. - To my child.
A cara, cari a mi! - My dear, dear to me!

That song (sung by the fat turret as you travel up the elavator to the surface) suggests that she is GLaDoS' daughter since all the songs seem to be from GLaDoS' view point.
[Lyrics and translation taken from music.portal2sounds.com]

I'd love for this to be true and be revealed if they make a 3rd Portal, anyone know if Portal 3 is going to be made? That would be amazing. ?

That would explain her not killing chell as it was way out of character for her.
After all she said killing chell would be hard......NO IT WOULDN'T! As proven when chell saw the turrets at first going up the elevator. Maybe GLaDOS was hinting at something to chell?

Whole solemnly agreed. Lazy imagination is still imagination and imagination is still better than none at all. ;)

While she's clearly SOME employee's daughter, there's absolutely no insinuation that she's the daughter of Cave Johnson OR Carolyn.

Perhaps I can interest you in one of the "G-Man is Gordon Freeman from the future" threads.
escpecially since cave isn't one of the scientist so why would the chemical chell used on the potato be in his offfice in the first place

my "theory" on chell is that she is merely a test subject her origins do not matter as she is basically an OC to each different player , and that is why they removed grunting sounds from portal 2 to lead the player into thinking up what the voice sounds like which leads to also why there are no prequels as originally intended for portal 2 , so that the player could come up with the origins of chell and the other characters

Man, quit the multiple posting.

That would explain her not killing chell as it was way out of character for her.
After all she said killing chell would be hard......NO IT WOULDN'T! As proven when chell saw the turrets at first going up the elevator. Maybe GLaDOS was hinting at something to chell?

If you have actually played through Portal 1 and 2 there are several points were both GLaDOS and Wheatley try and kill you. They can both succeed depending on what you do. The suggestion that GLaDOS doesn't kill Chell because Chell is somehow Caroline's daughter is pretty far fetched. GLaDOS explains why she lets Chell go free at the end of Portal 2.

As for the lyrics of the song, you're probably reading too much into them. 'My child' is a phrase elders often use to someone younger. It doesn't instantly make you related to whoever said it. It was probably written purely from a songwriting perspective and possibly to show that GLaDOS has developed care for Chell.

I agree with Raken that the development of a Mother-Daughter like relationship does occur between GLaDOS and Chell but there is literally no good evidence to suggest that Caroline and therefore GLaDOS is Chell's mother. The mere fact that GLaDOS and Wheatley both use the fact she's got no parents as an insult suggests that Chell's actual parents are dead, along with everyone else associated with Aperture Science.

Back