Things to see and do in HL2 (Document)

1. The loading screen depicting the Citadel interior features an easy-to-miss detail: a lone Stalker toling away on a platform near the bottom of the screen.

Where exactly? The pod ride? That loading screen is in a pure white void. I've noticed lots of other stalkers though.

Where exactly? The pod ride? That loading screen is in a pure white void. I've noticed lots of other stalkers though.

Sorry, I guess "menu screen" was the term I was looking for. It displays a view of the citadel interior from the vantage point of a person looking straght up. The stalker in question is on a platform near the bottom of the screen. I only mentioned it because I didn't notice it until my thrid or fourth play through and thought it was a nice little detail.

Aha! Very well spotted! Those menu screens are more detailed then they look...

This has probably already been said but at black mesa east when Dr. Mossman returns you can run fast enough to get into the room where she came from. It contains TV screens that show what seems to be the kitchen and vortigons cooking in it with aprons and those weird chef hats.

Hehe it's funny.

Yeah. She then tells you to get out. It's been suggested she's informing the combine of your presence there. Someone else suggested she wanted you out to check on her pron stash.

You can flip those screens while she's in there, basically the same stuff you see in the elevator.

New stuff to add:

Seagulls crap on the car at several points, I've seen them at the 1st poison zombie house and at the second gunship battle (and one more place I forgot, but remember killing a seagull after it happened.

I also discovered some extra dialogue by Leon, if you look at the map at Shorepoint. He talks about how its out of date, the road is bad, and they've lost contact with some outposts. Dunno why I never heard him before, as I've definitely looked at the map before.

Weapon Techniques/Abstract

Wow, cheers for that harpoon information.

Coming back to the headline of this post.. I want to state a few little tricks that I have figured on my many long and involved journeys through HalfLife2 (in no particular order)

Weapon Techniques/Abstract:

- With the GravGun try catching grenades and throwing them back at the enemy. Risky business but very useful if you are good at it. otherwise you can punt them away with the Gravgun. For an extra challenge, try to catch the energy balls from the pulse rifle!!

- You can throw grenades alot further if you are either walking/sprinting &/or jumping as you throw them.

- Alternately, use secondary trigger to drop a grenade near you, use "g" to bring up the GravGun quickly, and punt it away. Good practice for when an enemy throws one.

- throwing two grenades next to each other is a fine way to propel one of them far.

- Long range magnum force! - use suit zoom "Z", let go & fire your magnum immediately. Very effective.
- This is handy with the rocket launcher - you must fire in general direction, and then zoom in aiming it to the spot.

- You can "charge up" the... pistol. I read this on another forum, Hold the right mouse button, then the left, hold for some time, let go of the right.. i think thats it... anyway, varying the amount of time you hold both buttons will increase/decrease the amount of bullets fired.
- using charged pistol is much like magnum.
- The zoom maybe used whilst firing some mounted weaponry, very useful for stealth attacks with the jeep.

Nova Prospekt[/SIZE][/SIZE]

- make use of ALL of the turrets in Nova prospekt. The sections through NP with the Turrets is great action, and you can set up some good turret tactics. take the first two to give you five. Then take those five to give you eight in the transporter room.

Other:

- At several points along the highway where force fields or gates restrict you, You may after some attempt, kick your car over the fence, or between the gaps of the forcefield. Of course be careful not to kick it into the ocean...(It takes alot longer doing it this way)

- At the start of "Sand Traps" there is a fight at the lighthouse. With three rockets and one smg grenade. One can destroy the first dropship's container before any combine exit it. Then one can run to the top of the lighthouse and rain rockets upon all of them including the final gunship.

- In "Water Hazard" one can blow up the two combine vehicles in the first main gate section with the infinite grenades found there.

Hacks:

- Clearly the best way to beat manhacks is by running to them, grabbing with the Ggun, and then shooting them at the ground whilst running back a bit or strafing etc. & repeating this process. If you are quick you can neutralize hacks easily.

- Admittedly, using high explosives well placed is ultimate when dealing with tight clusters of hacks. - if no explosives are available, a nearby table or filing cabinet is good!

Squad

- In certain parts, it is wise to send your squad ahead, so that when you catch up with them, and activate the script that brings the strider crashing through the tunnel, they are allready ahead of you, and you can send them to safety.

- You can force your Squad to take the healthpacks if you aim at the pack and press "C" or send. Often they will do it themselves, however rarely do they take multiple packs. It takes a bit of trying, or picking up the pack and moving it. (Mainly try to keep your medics healthy - the amount by which they assist you then increases.}

- with the above point in mind, use the wall healthpack, & leave the healthpacks for your team.

- You can force your squad to pick up better guns in the same way. Occasionally they will do this automatically - as with healthpack, but sometimes, they dont notice the shotgun, or the pulse rifle.

- After you shutdown the suppressor, & destroy the striders, You can get up to three rocket launcher friends. Keeping these dudes alive is handy. Considering they never run out of ammo.

Explosive Barrels:

- By placing one explosive barrel atop another, one can create a clumsy way of attacking gunships. (The inspiration to try this, was due to a car tire sitting atop an explosive barrel to the right of the entrance into the basement where you first get the rocket launcher. Shooting the barrel causes the tire to fly up into the air. Naturally. (Go Valve!!)) I wonder what happens when you stack three barrels?

- Normally, you would pick up a barrel and throw it, causing it to explode. If you want to simply move it, give it a punt. However, punting barrels into the enemy, or a wall near enemies, is another way to use them.

Hoppers:

- If you punt hopper mines as they are being deployed, and havent plugged into the ground, when they land and to set, they will be nice ones.

Adjusting Physcannon Properties:

- Whilst some cheats make the game heaps boring, others can bring levels of enjoyment thus far unexperienced.

- It is certainly enjoyable to set physcannon_maxmass # & physcannon_maxforce #, in the console. Usually I make # 50000 Once this is done, you can pick up any inanimate object that is movable throughout the game. setting physcannon_tracelength # will work better with the other adjustments.

- In Highway 17 after you have fought the combine with the crane and the huge shipping containers. Leave the magnet just above the ground where all the containers are gathered. Climb down and cruise over the bridge. (Which you can knock down with the *GravGun* if you havent with the crane.) Pick up a nearby shipping container and throw it at the cranes magnet, or even wire. It should stick. You can attach anything metal to the magnet. "What is the point?" I hear you ask. Purely art.
- It is very easy to drop the container on yourself whilst trying to throw it.

(To be Edited)

Could someone host the Child's scream file on megaupload/rapidshare/etc. for me? I'm really interested in hearing it but can't find it in the games files for some reason.

As well, the TV that broadcasts the image of the Gman with the crow on his shoulder (Sometime during Anticitizen 1/Follow Freeman) should be added. Nice list.

So is there any truth to the Xbox-only Gman sightings in Point Insertion? You know: looking out the window of the train and supposedly seeing him, and then on the monitor before Barney's intervention?

I can't find any vids of them, and the only place I've read that call them is Wikipedia.

If there's a type of "Introductory" thread, I'll post there in a bit, but evidently this is my first post -- so while I'm here: hi. :)

There is Xbox-only sighting in the Point Insertion. G-Man shows up on the monitor (during the check to Nova Prospekt train).

Huh. News to me. My hands were reaching over to my XBox controller to check this out, when suddenly I remembered I had lent my console (games and all) to a friend for an unspecified amount of time.

You can play Xbox maps on the PC version of Half-Life 2.

Edit: There are also some videos showing Xbox version of the map on YouTube.

So he's nowhere to be seen outside the train windows?

I guess that Gman sighting would make sense, since they weren't really able to put the Highway 17 Gman sighting in the Xbox version, they'd just make-up for it by sticking him in somewhere else.

You know, I always figured Valve would have a hayday with these Gman sightings; stick him all over the place. It wouldn't be difficult I'd presume. Maybe shove him in these really unconventional, hard-to-find places, apart from the more obvious (guess the Ravenholm/Train one was pretty unconventional). Just put him in all these really neat places. Oh, well. Wonder why they took out the Gman-in-the-window Ravenholm sighting?

OOoohhh, so the Xbox only sighting was on the original Xbox. Is that right? I thought people were talking about the 360 version of the game.

All is well.

Does anyone have a transript as to what the radios say in the Combine bunker during the beach assult?

Don't know if this has been said previously, but isn't the recurring couple the same one enjoying the view in Episode 2?

Naw there in the base on the couch. Look through a window when your in the base.

That's a different couple. For one the couple looking at the view aren't depressed. The crying couple do appear in EP2 though, in the White Forest. You can see them through a window. There's also two skeletons holding eachother sitting on a couch in the game somewhere or other (I think it was near the part with the Combine autogun).

There's also two skeletons holding eachother sitting on a couch in the game somewhere or other (I think it was near the part with the Combine autogun).

In spite of what's been said about that being a reference to Bioshock, my own theory is that's it's just a psych-out to make the player think the couple have died and been reduced to skeletons--a conclusion later proven wrong by their appearance at the White Forest base.

Of course, the effect was lost on me as I totally missed the skeleton couple on my first playthrough.

Not sure if this has been said before but at the part of Highway 17 where you use the crane, if you swim too far out into the sea you get attacked by a shoal of extremely vicious eels. :E

Not sure if this has been said before but at the part of Highway 17 where you use the crane, if you swim too far out into the sea you get attacked by a shoal of extremely vicious eels. :E

Happens all along the coast. If you go far.

On the second pod ride, after killing the strider and a ton of combine, some time throughout the ride you can see a Synth and it's monitors on a line.

I used Garry's Mod to get down closer to them, they run through a couple animations if you dupe them.

Everyone knows about that , its not even a secret. Also something interesting i noticed , everyone exept the G-man and i think barney (not too sure about him though) have brown eyes. Come to think about it almost everyone has brown hair too.

GTFO ... now , little childrens games have no place on forums.

Highway 17:

1. When you come to the second Combine-patrolled Bungalow (the one with the window-mounted binoculars) make sure you approach the main house stealthily. You can sneak up on the soldier manning the binoculars for an easy kill.

There are canisters nearby and you can hurl it at that combine to burn it. I think it is one of few occassions in the game to have a chance to burn combine soldier to death.

I love burning them , i think one of the things they say while they are on fire is "The fire , it burns!" though im not sure because they can be hard to make out.

OH yeah, their voices are hard to decode at best.
Once interesting thing is that they (combine soldier) dont twitch and struggle in pain when on fire as it should with any live organism, instead they just stand motionless until they fall.

Once interesting thing is that they (combine soldier) dont twitch and struggle in pain when on fire as it should with any live organism, instead they just stand motionless until they fall.

"Parented"? I'm not familiar with that term. If you can explain it to me simply , I'll re-edit the doc to incorporarte that info.

I also forgot to mention that harpoon "kills" don't bleed or, in the case of antlions, gib. I suppose that's another aspect of the fact that the characters aren't technically killed.

Thanks.

i experimented and killed Alyx using that harpoon. Whether the kill is appropriate or not, it was a sorry sight anyways.

Someone told me the scream occurs randomly, throughout the level, as a background noise. Apparently, it's seldom heard, so you have to be attentive and a bit lucky to hear it.

As for the energy ball, I was playing on Normal and got four zombies with it. That was before they'd risen up out of the sludge. I'm sure it's possible to get more.

dont u guys love the sarcastic laughter the toxin zombie makes when it falls.

Heh:D i found out, why Barney asks you whether you had heard a cat, after you save him from the snipers in the warehouse.

If you listen closely, you can hear a sound similar to a cats meow.
But the sound is actually made by a shield-scanner flying overhead.

I never understood, why he asked me that until now.

Oh I thought he was referring about catwalk ramming down between the buildings and followed by troops come out which puts him on constant attention.

Actually they do, the action they move in is the same when you throw a bug bait at it.
The just swing their arms left and right until they fall to the ground.

dont know is this has been asked yet.. but when will there be a EP1- and EP2-Things to see and do ?
i noticed a few things, should i post it in the "things i only noticed" thread or what?

Guyen please dont post like five times in a row , use the edit button. And its definatly not laughter , its either a sorrowfull cry or his dying breaths.

I don't think it has been mentioned that if you click E on the Dr. Breen's Private Reserve drink stands, you get drinks. It worked in Entanglement, anyway.

''Red Letter Day:

2. The miniature teleportation device in Kleiner?s lab is functional and can be used to teleport small objects. Some players have reported that excessive tinkering will cause it to explode.''

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to add that if you put one small object in the entrance of the mini-tele and one small object in the exit, it will break and you won't be able to use it again.
Damn, this game is full of secrets...:)

Back