This community ....

Now I'm married, we have a dog, and a kid is on the way. I've kinda stopped caring about anticipating Valve titles with so much, you know, LIFE to deal with.

We'll see how much you REALLY care about your wife, family, dog, and real life when Half-Life 3 is announced.

He got a wife, family, and dog just to fill the hole created by HL3. It's all going to change.

It's interesting how the thread about Valvetime not being very active any more, Seems to be the most active thread on Valvetime.

I'll be a part of this community until I die

Same. Most of my gaming friends I met here. I still keep in touch with Jimbo, Digi, Pitz, Glenn on a regular basis (although mostly on WhatsApp nowadays) - I see others post on GAF, reddit, Twitter - loads of you guys are on my Steam list (shout-out to Hoolio) - and I will always identify you as being hl2.netters. I have known some of you for ten years now, way longer than a major part of my irl social circle. It's weird, I came here to check if Operational was still stickied (he was, bless). I read the thread again and what struck a chord with me was the final part of Tav's OP. That rings true for me as well.

Taviow said:
So guess what: you guys are meaningful to me. I do care about you. I was sad when bvgasm died without ever getting to know him. I never expected to care this much back when I started interacting with the community. I don't believe this place is a waste of time, I've learned so much here, and laughed so much and got to know so many wonderful people, I can't even consider leaving. I can only be thankful for having found this place, and for everything you guys have done for me since then.

Whatever happened to Stern btw?

Aged like a fine cheese, I assume.

It's weird, I came here to check if Operational was still stickied (he was, bless). I read the thread again and what struck a chord with me was the final part of Tav's OP. That rings true for me as well.

Went back to read that thread as well, and man that made me sad. Not only because of the sadness of losing a well-liked community member, but the fact that many of the posters in that thread haven't been here in years...

Same. Most of my gaming friends I met here. I still keep in touch with Jimbo, Digi, Pitz, Glenn on a regular basis (although mostly on WhatsApp nowadays) - I see others post on GAF, reddit, Twitter - loads of you guys are on my Steam list (shout-out to Hoolio) - and I will always identify you as being hl2.netters. I have known some of you for ten years now, way longer than a major part of my irl social circle. It's weird, I came here to check if Operational was still stickied (he was, bless). I read the thread again and what struck a chord with me was the final part of Tav's OP. That rings true for me as well.

Whatever happened to Stern btw?

Stern has finally transcended beyond the mortal realm.

The way I see it, this community is like the stereotype of Europe: Old, but not dead; just comfortable in its maturity.

Then again, my understanding of Europe stems solely from the BBC and this fellow, so I could just be spouting a load of hogwash.

Last edited:
UJFnycc.gif

I'm still here...waiting for you know what to be announced..shame on Valve for making us wait this long.

Oh I finally started watching Ergo Proxy, at a rate of about 1 episode a week.

Oh I finally started watching Ergo Proxy, at a rate of about 1 episode a week.
I don't see how Ergo Proxy is relevant, but I've been very curious about that show for some time (largely because of its opening). Is it worth watching? If so, why?

Unozero's avatar.

I'd call it a nice dystopian mystery that doesn't hold back. A good watch after a long Friday at 5am (a good time for any weird shit).

As i said in my first post, i love this community. One thing that really bothers me is that ValveTime is too much Dota-related (yes, i hate this game). Back in International days, editors posted news about this tournament on facebook everyday. Playoffs, even stupid compendium rewards. Main article on the home page was getting constantly updated.

There's a CSGO tournament going on right now. But i can't see a single word about this on main page/facebook. On the ValveTime round-up videos, Dota news comes first. Seriously? I know, Dota is more popular than CSGO. But remember, CS is the best competitive/tactical game ever existed. Thousands of people watching the games online. I'm not an editor so i don't get to tell what needs to be done. It's just a little feedback.

There's a CSGO tournament going on right now. But i can't see a single word about this on main page/facebook. On the ValveTime round-up videos, Dota news comes first. Seriously? I know, Dota is more popular than CSGO. But remember, CS is the best competitive/tactical game ever existed. Thousands of people watching the games online. I'm not an editor so i don't get to tell what needs to be done. It's just a little feedback.
The International is hosted by Valve. This is Valvetime. There could be a lot of CS:GO tournaments happening all through the year. There is only one International per year, and it's the only official Valve tournament. And if you're going to start talking about competitive e-penises, TI has consistently broken the record for largest prize pool in any e-sports tournament ever.

As i said in my first post, i love this community. One thing that really bothers me is that ValveTime is too much Dota-related (yes, i hate this game). Back in International days, editors posted news about this tournament on facebook everyday. Playoffs, even stupid compendium rewards. Main article on the home page was getting constantly updated.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to write a recap post of ESL One after the event is over.

Since the community did help fund the prize pool for the ESL One tournament, it probably would have been a good idea to cover it as it progressed. Next time we'll cover the larger CS:GO tournaments.

Thank you, smash. You are great editor, as you always were.

The International is hosted by Valve. This is Valvetime. There could be a lot of CS:GO tournaments happening all through the year. There is only one International per year, and it's the only official Valve tournament. And if you're going to start talking about competitive e-penises, TI has consistently broken the record for largest prize pool in any e-sports tournament ever.

CSGO is Valve game. ESL One prize pool is funded by opening creates with e-sports keys Valve created. TI has may broken the records and CSGO has not. But this is entirely Valve's fault. They don't do anything similar to compendium rewards for CSGO. You still can't change the fact that CS is the best competitive game ever existed.

hi

CSGO is Valve game. ESL One prize pool is funded by opening creates with e-sports keys Valve created. TI has may broken the records and CSGO has not. But this is entirely Valve's fault. They don't do anything similar to compendium rewards for CSGO. You still can't change the fact that CS is the best competitive game ever existed.
Nobody is disputing whether or not CS:GO is one of Valve's games, there just aren't any Valve-run competitions for anything other than Dota's International. If Counter-Strike or Team Fortress 2 were to get their own special events ran almost entirely by Valve, I'd more than happily cover them. ESL One Cologne 2014 is run by, as the name suggests, ESL, not Valve, even if a lot of the prize pool was generated by the community (which we did actually post about, by the way).

I know for sure that my life has drastically reduced how much time I spend playing games in general, let alone having discussions about them on forums. While some people may be posting elsewhere, I don't think its a high number, and the reason those people may be posting elsewhere, is because a lot of people who grew up posting here frequently don't do so as much anymore because of real life. Thus the people who still might post a lot, have nobody to talk to.

It's difficult to speculate as to why exactly this forum is as inactive as it is right now.

Cause there ain't no ****in Half-Life.

I joined for HL2, stuck around for the lounge, and then other communities drew me in more than this one did. I had a lot of great times here and a lot of late nights talking with you guys, and I loved the whole time. If I had to attribute the majority of how my personality has developed during my teen years to something, it's probably here, even if I don't give this place enough credit. Frankly I have to thank some of you that I don't quite remember for changing my whole thought process in around 2008, or I wouldn't be who I am today. It's because of all of you that I'm a more open minded individual, became more skeptical of my beliefs, etc. I can't imagine where I would be now had I never questioned who I thought I was. I have another friend that didn't, and he's ****ing insane. I dodged a bullet.

As I am writing this post the forum is 504ing which doesn't bode well for how long I will stay after this.

I won't say I got 'busy' or my career kept me from coming here, I simply got disinterested in how this place ran. I liked going on 4chan more in my later high school years, and also got more invested in an RP site I joined. There's no more RP on that site, really, and it's primarily a chat of longtime friends. Sometimes we organize tabletop games.

After I graduated high school, I knew what I wanted to do, but not how I would do it. I believe I posted here a couple times in 2012, after I joined the Air Force. It's been two and a half years, I'm lined up for Senior Airman (E-4), and I'm just barely starting my real job. I spent two years learning pashto over at the defense language institute in California, went to intel school, survival school, and now I'm flying. Merely in the back of jets, but it's what I really wanted, regardless. I managed to make something come true, and after the disappointment that was high school I have never been more proud of myself. I get to be one of those people who wears a flightsuit to work, whether they're flying or not. I live on my own. I pay my own bills. The military has really helped me become an adult in so many ways I can barely even comprehend where I went from being 18 with nothing to 21 and a life. So I guess I really have come a long way from hl2.net.

It's not that I don't want to post here, I feel that it was inevitable this place would die. As aforementioned, reddit, etc etc and other sites have really taken the place of these niche forums. There's a subreddit for everything now. It's the walmart of forums. I don't like it, and I'd prefer if these old small businesses were still around, but that's the way of things.

Also I do agree that I don't like Dota and I'm extremely disappointed there has been no news on HL in years and years. I hardly even feel like a fan anymore. I feel like my reaction to HL3 will just be a groan. With the 'valve' fanbase turning to Dota, I've had to move to a different group.

I play CSGO regularly and have a ton of fun with that, though. I want to play more Arma with veggie and friends but I think I keep missing out.

This isn't a goodbye, just a short summary of me not being here. Many others have left that were more popular but others are still here that I've spent a lot of time with, so maybe it's worth the write.

tl;dr: **** you

I check back after like 4 years and everyone is still here. I don't if that's really awesome or just really sad.

tl;dr: **** you

Forums have been around since before the World Wide Web in the form of BBSs. They will never die out or be replaced, lol. Reddit is just a collection of forums. The half-life subreddit is relatively dead. This website's forum is more active. Reddit only has one Half-Life subreddit so I doubt one website will pull in every single Half-Life fan and leave every other website desolate. People go to multiple websites for things they're fans of. I go to a few different Half-Life and Doom websites.
And the Valve fanbase isn't moving to Dota. There's still a lot of TF2, Gmod, CS:GO, CS:S, DoD:S, you name it, players.

I think you're just being cynical. This site has been around for like, 11 years. Reddit has been around for a few years and has yet to 'replace' forums. One site will never replace every forum out there for every topic. People go to the sites they like. What you're saying is millions of people are leaving their forums on their own sites (for example, Halo fans leave their Halo websites, Star Wars fans leave their star wars websites) for reddit? You're an idiot

First time I have logged in in a long time...

Also first post cause I'm a lurker and don't mingle normally, but I feel you are a bunch of like minded individuals so I wanted to join in on the fun.

Bang

Forums have been around since before the World Wide Web in the form of BBSs. They will never die out or be replaced, lol. Reddit is just a collection of forums. The half-life subreddit is relatively dead. This website's forum is more active. Reddit only has one Half-Life subreddit so I doubt one website will pull in every single Half-Life fan and leave every other website desolate. People go to multiple websites for things they're fans of. I go to a few different Half-Life and Doom websites.
And the Valve fanbase isn't moving to Dota. There's still a lot of TF2, Gmod, CS:GO, CS:S, DoD:S, you name it, players.

I think you're just being cynical. This site has been around for like, 11 years. Reddit has been around for a few years and has yet to 'replace' forums. One site will never replace every forum out there for every topic. People go to the sites they like. What you're saying is millions of people are leaving their forums on their own sites (for example, Halo fans leave their Halo websites, Star Wars fans leave their star wars websites) for reddit? You're an idiot
this is a really bad and unnecessarily assholish post and this is coming from someone whose majority post count is made up of shitposting and being a dick to people go f*ck ya bitch if ya got one son and then come back when yr in a better mood after yr cum shooter super computer is dry and I will re-grade your performance

also the community for all of those games is really bad and Valve's fanbase is one of the biggest congregations of manchildren in existence

It doesn't help that half life as a series is dead until Valve decides to make an announcement. There is nothing to talk about. It's been that way for years. Things change, and I'm talking about the niche forums, such as this one. This forum was more active when Valve wasn't nearly as popular as they were today, and that says something about the community itself.

The thing about Dota:
bfbvf.png

Frankly, I'm surprised that there are that many csgo players. It's actually been rising since they've been pulling people in with all these fancy shiny things, though I continually worry that people are more interested in skins than the game. That's what ruined TF2's community, along with f2p, but that's an argument for a different thread and it's already been done.
I wish I could find numbers on how TF2 used to be, but it was definitely higher in average daily player count than it is now. Dota drew in a lot of NEW users for sure, but it also moved a lot of people from things like TF2. edit: http://www.steamcharts.com/app/440#All I am pretty wrong in this line for the past two years, though there is no data from launch -> there. I would be very interested in knowing what the playercounts looked like pre-f2p. I don't even know what you're talking about with the source games, because those are as currently as niche as you're going to get with Valve games, except maybe goldsrc. In the valve realm dota currently dominates news, pop culture, e-sports, you name it. It's on the top of their priority list. I'm really glad csgo gets the attention it does, because there was a period where it felt like dota was getting all the updates and csgo was being entirely ignored.

And for that last paragraph, you're doing a classic strawman. That's not at all what I'm saying. Get your head out of your ass.

btw the half life subreddit is way more active than the half life subforum here.

That's what ruined TF2's community, along with f2p, but that's an argument for a different thread and it's already been done.
^This is absolute shit thrown around by "nostalgic" people who haven't touched the game in years.

I wish I could find numbers on how TF2 used to be, but it was definitely higher in average daily player count than it is now.
steam-dev-days-slideshow-2.jpg

Definitely wasn't. TF2 certainly isn't on the up anymore, but it's far from being on a downward spiral. It's about as popular as CS:GO, maybe a little less.

Back