This just in: People with low iqs tend to gravitate towards conservative ideology

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

you dont say

http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservative-beliefs-linked-prejudice-180403506.html

for clarity's sake; it's saying that if you're a social conservative (racism, prejudice, homophobe) chances are you are dumb

No, Stern, if you're dumb, chances are you're conservative. It's a subtle but fundamental asymmetry of the statement that study makes. It's the classic if A then B does not prove if B then A.

We can determine that the average conservative is not very smart by looking at their picket signs or average IQ vs. political dominance, instead.

they're specifically talking about racism/prejudice. the study is out of canada; social conservative is not a party affiliation. I dropped the "social" out of the title of this thread because it wouldnt fit

Demographics man. I know a LOT of really dumb people who are loose as a goose. Was this sampling from a major metro area or a rural area?

'tend to be socially conservative' would have fit and been better. I'm 'conservative' but really not socially conservative that much. I believe in freedom (socially AND economically)

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

large groups

Basically if you're dumb you're more likely to be a Family Values(TM) racist conservitard. That is what I am reading.

Also this:
The researchers controlled for factors such as education and socioeconomic status, making their case stronger, Nosek said. But there are other possible explanations that fit the data. For example, Nosek said, a study of left-wing liberals with stereotypically naïve views like "every kid is a genius in his or her own way," might find that people who hold these attitudes are also less bright. In other words, it might not be a particular ideology that is linked to stupidity, but extremist views in general.

I think this is very true. Every racist and every extreme wealth redistribution supporter I've ever spoken to you have to use less abstract terminology and speak more simply. I find that easy to do and I can generally get along with anyone, but now that I think about it those that I do have to 'simplify' for have the most extreme views (even if they're not political)

So then it's not just conservatives who are retarded if one can deduce that extremists in general are retarded. Doesn't really matter if your views are left or right and I agree. SENSIBLE people tend to have higher IQs.

So basically stupid people take a concrete extreme view based on a simplistic worldview instead of taking larger realities and the stance of others into account?

I'd like to hear, all you liberals' jumping on the IQ bandwagon, opinions on the bell curve.

I'd like to hear, all you liberals' jumping on the IQ bandwagon, opinions on the bell curve.
I prefer when there's two of them side by side. Evolution makes me enjoy it more.

Back