This may make people feel sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmighty

Reaction score
OK....You want a new computer to play Half Life 2 and you are anxious to buy it now but part of you wants to wait for prices to drop and better hardware to come out with the same prices. Well, I say WAIT until september and here is why!

38 DAYS AGO I was curious and decided to log onto Alienware.com and just see how much my dream computer would cost and here are the specs. (you can just glance over them because there are just there to prove a point)

Alienware Full-Tower Case (420-Watt PS)- Space Black
AlienIce(tm) Video Cooling System - Fusion Red
Alienware Cable management system
Intel (R) Desktop Board D875PBZ - Intel 875P Motherboard
2 GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 4 x 512MB module
320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA - RAID 0
Plextor PlexWriter 48/24/48A CD-RW - IDE - Black
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra 128MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 w/Black Audigy 2 Drive
Intel PRO/1000 MT Gigabit Desktop Adapter
NEC 30" LCD3000 LCD - Black
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 500 - Watt THX Speakers
Belkin Universal UPS 1200VA
XP Professional

Total Cost: $ 7,642

And Now 38 DAYS LATER WITH THE SAME SYSTEM WITH THE EXCEPTIONS BELOW

Samsung 52x24x52x16x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive - Black
Lite - On 52x32x52x CD-RW
AlienWare USB 2.0 128 MB Flash Drive
Alienware 6-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256 MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video

*note the graphics card

As you can see ONLY 38 days later equipped with better hardware and it only costed $113 more!

In conclusion, for all you gamers out there...wait to buy your new computer!!!!

I did this for you GUYS!

Thank you, but who buys computers from Alienware.com anyway? It is one big rip off.

Why don't you try it with the same video card?

Obviously, prices the price is going to be roughly the same to get a top of the line system now, as it is 2 months down the road.

The question is how much component 'x' has gone down in 'y' amount of time.

I think everyone should read a quick tutorial with pictures on how to buy and put together a computer. Its easier than making a PB&J sandwich.

Dude you got shaaaaafted, if you bought from them.

No reason to spend more than 3K for a machine no matter what.

7,000 ? jesus christ, buy a car... or build 3 identical computers.... my god, i didn't know they had gotten that bad.

7,000!?!?!?!?!?!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

Alienware has very cool comps, but u should only buy stuff from there if u have loads of money to spare.

Noone else read anything but the price did they? 30" LCD Monitor.. hmm wonder what cost so much.

BTW- Lets all play Follow-the-Leader on hating Alienware , even though dell or any other real manufacture costs the same if not more than alienware does. gg you guys.

That computer is the biggest waste of money! Build one yourself and knock of a couple thousand by getting rid of the 30" lcd!!!!!

I paid $2800 (Canadian) for mine in December.

P4 2.4Ghz
GF4 Ti 128MB vid card
512MB DDR RAM
80gig 7200rpm HD
CDRW (dont feel like finding the specs)
DVD (see above)
onboard sound card
17" Samsung Monitor
other random things that I don't bother remembering

I see a lot of computers very similar to mine nowadays for about half the price. Do I regret buying it back then? Not a chance. I would gladly pay that much extra for the six months of enjoyment I've gotten out of it so far.

Same goes with PS2. I bought it when it was $450. I don't regret not waiting until the price drop.

I really wanted to build my computer, but I was too lazy :p maybe I'll build one as a secondary.

a 30" monitor? that's friggin awesome. Don't ever get alienware or dell or anything else. i'm sure u guys are smart enough to build a pc yourself.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Thank you, but who buys computers from Alienware.com anyway? It is one big rip off.

alienware1.jpg

I do.

Wow, Alienware is a total ripoff... I bought my top-of-the-line for around 3k :eek:

yeah, people who get alienware comps either don't know how to build their computer, or do but are 'tards

Originally posted by FatCombine
Wow, Alienware is a total ripoff... I bought my top-of-the-line for around 3k :eek:

I bought my top of the line for 2k.
Alienware rules :D

I bought my top of the line for 2k.
Woah wait, did you just say that you bought a super high-end top-of-the-line comp from Alienware for 2k!?

Originally posted by Radeon
Got any other pictures? I just love the alienware cases.

I thought their case was cool until I actually saw it in the store. That thing is so ridiculously huge .. why couldn't they make it any smaller?

I bought my computer and it runs every game and anything I need it to run and it costed $850 :| I might upgrade the video card soon for another $150 or so... thats alot better than blowing a couple grand on a top of the line computer with features you aren't going to take advantage of for another couple years. Noone should ever have to spend more than $1000 on a computer that does everything they need it to... Spend $1000 every 4 years and about $300 inbetween and you will be able to play everything everyone else can at the same quality/levels/etc for a lot cheaper.

In addtion, when you buy upgrades, those cards your friends payed $400 for a year ago are only $150 and have higher clock speed and more ram. And both of you will be just then taking advantage of both card's features. Don't spend $400 on a card because you have to "get a good card for Doom3/whatever graphics-intensive-game here".. I know people who did this like a year ago.. Now someone can buy a card for $100 that will run Doom3 better than their $400 peice of crap.

Point is, don't waste your money. :p

God NO! I didn't buy any computer from Alienware just was showing the cost

I would only build my own computer...it's the only way to go

Originally posted by FatCombine
Woah wait, did you just say that you bought a super high-end top-of-the-line comp from Alienware for 2k!?

2300$, to be exact, but the extra 300$ was from tax and shipping (I live like 45 minutes from their headquarters, heh.) It's not SUPER top of the line but it's pretty damn good (2.8ghz, 1gb ddr ram, Radeon 9800 pro 256mb...etc)

Anyway, the pictures:

(The side is sticking out in some pictures, I took it off recently but did not put it back all the way.)

alienware2.jpg

alienware3.jpg

For the below pictures, the fingerprints / white specs aren't nearly as visible in real life, the camera flash picks up everything on the damn case.

alienware4.jpg

alienware5.jpg

They all match the fan. :D
fan.jpg

Oh look, my computer looks like a Christmas tree, let's spend another $7000 on it.
Sure looks nice, but I personally don’t need all this glow in the dark, ultra slick cases and pay another $100 for that. To upgrade my computer from 600 mhz, Geforce 2 to Radeon 9700 and 2.5 ghz intel, I spend only $ 300. Plus another $120 for 1 gig of DDR.

Thanks.

Alienware *is* expensive but worth it. :bounce:

Originally posted by HL2 Stone
pointless post gj

Ok guys. Stop with this crap. In every thread it says "spam" or "pointless thread". Until you make more "intelligent" posts, stop talking. He was proving a point, and it was a good one.

Wow, that comp is absolutley wonderfull :D

Goin to get some cool blue lightning for my upgrade :)

What does everyone have against Alienware? Yeah, they're expensive, but you get top quality components, meticulous construction, and a comprehensive warrenty. Sure, you can build a system yourself for (slightly) less, but there's just something cool about owning an Alienware. I guess it's like buying a Rolls Royce even though a Honda Civic will get you around town just fine.

And, no, I don't own one (I custom build), but if I had the scratch I'd get one in a heartbeat!

I am a college student for Christ sake, I don’t have $5000-$7000 in my pocket :)
Cars ads computers are different, NEVER try to compare them, NEVER!

I really like their new case design, they definitely walk away with awards in aesthetics: it's just a shame they don't in price. You could upgrade your computer to the same spec for much much less... which I intend to.

Still, if money is no object...

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
I am a college student for Christ sake, I don’t have $5000-$7000 in my pocket
Those prices are only for a maxed out system (actually, a totally tricked out Alienware runs close to $9000). If you "cut corners" such as going with a single 80GB harddrive instead of a dual configuration or a CD-ROM instead of a CD-RW or a mid-range video card instead of the latest and greatest, you can get the price of an Alienware down to around $1500-$1800 and still have a pretty bitchin' rig.

You can buy the parts for and build a top-of-the-line gaming computer complete with monitor (either a very nice CRT or budget LCD) for $2k, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back