Those of you who think the GameSpot review is justified!

Weedums

Reaction score
I think the gamespot review is spot on.

After playing half-life 2 (and beating it) I have come to agree with most of the things that the Gamespot review touches on such as; the storyline..... it feels like VALVe has dropped you in this random world, and been too lazy to actually write a backround, so they try and let your imagination run wild, also I feel the lack of variety in weapons is a major downer half-life had such unique (and plentifull) weapons... half-life 2 with exception to the gravity gun does not, and what about the complete lack of varied enemies??? Here we've been discussing assasins and all the old enemies from HL and barely any of them (excusing head crabs / zombies) made a return!

I just can't get over how little story there actually is in this game.... I never actually thought I'd hear myself say this but Halo 2 is much more story driven the Half-Life 2 the god of cinematic gameplay.

The artificial intelligence is about the only thing I disagree with gamespot on, I think the AI in HL2 is actually quite good.

I suppose nothing could live up to that kind of hype.

I have waited two years for this, and I am dissapointed.

What do you guys think?

i am still in shock, i can't believe what i just played. This makes me feel like im inside a movie. This is indeed perfection

i think you are going to get flamed by the rabid fanboys (cuz that's what 99% of the people on this forum are whether they want to admit it or not) for saying hl2 isn't the greatest game of all time and pwns life.

anyway, i haven't reached any major dialogue bits, only main thing i've been to was kleiner's lab. it was entertaining but didn't really add to the story.

i think you are going to get flamed by the rabid fanboys (cuz that's what 99% of the people on this forum are
only the n00bs..

Runner said:
i am still in shock, i can't believe what i just played. This makes me feel like im inside a movie. This is indeed perfection

You must be, because that is irrelevant to the thread :cat: Gamespot deffenitely listed some flaws.

And drunk, I am aware that I may receive some flak for this, but if I can spark a valid discussion then its worth the "flame" :)

I thought the story was great. Father Gregory is badass.

She said:
only the n00bs..
Well it does seem most "Half-life 2 isn't the greatest thing since crisco" posts get smashed to hell, but this is a half-life 2 forium right? Can't expect otherwise.

I think gs review was crap, not because of the score but the review itself. Im on coastline, game is awesome can't get enough of it so far... I would give it 95% from wut i played so far.

But thats what you have played so far, they reviewed the whole game. So you can't judge it until you've completed it.

Runner said:

Yeah, I dont know why so many people are whining about the story so much.

Every time a game has too much story in it, it seems to take away alot of gameplay time, making it feel more like you're WATCHING something than actually PERFORMING it.

I'd rather perform it - I hate sitting back and watching 100+ cinematics when you could be out blowing up guards with grenades. :D

The Gamespot review is completely different than what I would write.

My review would just be filled with sentances starting with "You know what else was great?"

Chubz said:
Yeah, I dont know why so many people are whining about the story so much.

Every time a game has too much story in it, it seems to take away alot of gameplay time, making it feel more like you're WATCHING something than actually PERFORMING it.

I'd rather perform it - I hate sitting back and watching 100+ cinematics when you could be out blowing up guards with grenades. :D

I am whining about the story so much because;

This spoiler contains no specific story references, but may ruin it so reader beware.
We waited 6 years for this game to come, and the whole way through the story was one of the most anticipated factors of teh game... and here we get it and theres barely any story at all!! I mean the ending is just rediculous not a single damn question is anwered, only more are raised.

Weedums said:

After playing half-life 2 (and beating it) I have come to agree with most of the things that the Gamespot review touches on such as; the storyline..... it feels like VALVe has dropped you in this random world, and been too lazy to actually write a backround, so they try and let your imagination run wild, also I feel the lack of variety in weapons is a major downer half-life had such unique (and plentifull) weapons... half-life 2 with exception to the gravity gun does not, and what about the complete lack of varied enemies??? Here we've been discussing assasins and all the old enemies from HL and barely any of them (excusing head crabs / zombies) made a return!

I just can't get over how little story there actually is in this game.... I never actually thought I'd hear myself say this but Halo 2 is much more story driven the Half-Life 2 the god of cinematic gameplay.

The artificial intelligence is about the only thing I disagree with gamespot on, I think the AI in HL2 is actually quite good.

I suppose nothing could live up to that kind of hype.

What do you guys think?

you dont "get" half-life. You are not supposed to know whats going on. you are supposed to be gordon and know as much as he does as he wakes up in the future in a city.

allthough the score wasnt bad at all
I think the guy who did it is a noob

Weedums said:

After playing half-life 2 (and beating it) I have come to agree with most of the things that the Gamespot review touches on such as; the storyline..... it feels like VALVe has dropped you in this random world, and been too lazy to actually write a backround

The background is HL. If you need more details, HL3 will probably give them to you. Remember, it's a planned trilogy, don't judge it without knowing everything.

...and what about the complete lack of varied enemies??? Here we've been discussing assasins and all the old enemies from HL and barely any of them (excusing head crabs / zombies) made a return!

It would be really interesting to imagine how those U.S. Army operatives (assassins, marines) managed to enter a closed city half-world away.

Story driven is how a story affect your overview and feelings towards the game. halo 2 has a story, but it barely affects how you look at the game, being just an excuse for the shooting.
think about it this way: in halo 2, you wish the story development was shorter so you could kick some more ass. It's an excuse. In Half-Life 2, you sometimes find yourself wishing the action to end soon so you can know what's the next part of the plot.
That's story driven.

What do you guys think?

I think you're missing the point, but you'll get there. :cheers:

It was not ment to answers any question for the player. You looking at the world from the view of Freemen and he can't know the answers so you can't ether (easier for the G-man to control him). It's kind of like the X-files in this way.

And the lack of a background story or history lesson of what happen is again related to freemen. He does not have the time to learn why the world has gone to crap only that it has and he is the only hope to fix it.

Once you realize you are Gordon and this is is his story, I think the story stands out more.

I think you raised a fantastic point with Halo 2 vs Half-Life 2 story... I agree in Halo 2 all I wanted to do was kill more, in Half-Life 2 I wanted more story.

But I am not judging Half-Life as a trilogy right now, I am judging Half-Life 2 as a single game.

92 is just way to low for half life 2, maybe a 95-96 woulf be more appropriate.

Halo 2 enemy had ai??/ I DONT THINK SO

I also think the review guy played it on easy.

shyy said:
Halo 2 enemy had ai??/ I DONT THINK SO

oh come on. HL2 is superior to Halo 2 in many ways - but combat/AI/challenge certainly isn't one of them.

To finish Halo 2 on Legendary you have to a gaming god, to finish HL2 on hard you just need to point and click. It really is childs play in comparison.

Luckily - HL2 isn't about combat, and is still excellent \o/

Lukes Wall said:
Halo 2 is harder, but that doesn't mean the A.I. is better.

It may not be as complicated, or as clever, but in giving the sensation of fighting tough, smart and challenging enemies - it's streets ahead.

It's all about how convincing and fun the fighting is. HL2 may have the best AI in the world - but the bad guys are easy, and feel a little dumb.

I can't wait for a map with crates, walls and 10 combine. I woud like to see what they do!

Back