though HDTV was nice? try MegaDef's 20,480x16,384 resolution on a 19" monitor!

Growler1984

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I could only find this information on the UK's PCFormat magazine [Issue 199/April 2007], as Google showed me absolutely ZIP on this news [all it showed me was a hip-hop/rap album released in 2003]

allow me to quote the magazine:

No sooner has High Def finally begun to find it's way into living rooms across the UK, but Tefal heads at a Japanese conglomorate Kawaitech are pimping a new technology that has been nattily labeled MegaDef. Intriguingly, the company has ditched traditional CRT, LCD and plasma methods entirely, relying instead on recent discoveries in organic display technology to generate some mind-boggling resolutions.
MegaDef works on the principle that by [assing an electrical current through artificially farmed cellulose, the substance can be made to flex and deform, refracting light to produce colored points smaller than the eye can see. A membrane containing hundreds of millions of these tiny cells can create images equivalent to a resolution of 20,480x16,384 in a 19-inch panel.
Sony, Toshiba and Sharp, who up until now have been willy-waving over the size of screens rather than the resolution, are all rumored to be interested. What PCFormat's keen to find out, though, is how this will affect GPU technology and what the eventual price of consumer items will be.
Currently Kawaitech admits there is a rather crude upscaling algorithm running, but that if graphics processors could be modified to provide polygon data direct to your screen, you'd see a break from the traditional correlation between screen resolution and hardware performance requirements. Needless to say, we'll [PCFormat] be keeping a firm eye on this particular story over the coming months.

*edit*
although in the meanwhile, there is in the pipeline Ultra High Definition Video [UHDV] - the known highest resolution possible, at 7680x4320: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHDV

**edit 2**
*apparently* [according to someone on another forum] it IS an April fools joke. I'm going to e-mail PCFormat for confirmation on this.

so here's a scan of the article, anyway

Attachments

• MegaDef.jpg
    MegaDef.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 208
this is so infeasible....will be decade or more before any real life application is made.

but alas, who's to say 1080i/p isn't good enough

Damn right, I've been waiting for ever to be able to zoom in on nostril hairs of people!

I just got my 1080i Phillips TV yesterday, I think I'll be happy with it for the next 5 years at the very least.

This sounds cool but I just don't see how it could be practical at this time, there isn't hardware that is powerful enough to transmit that kind of data let alone actually render it.

this wont hit the market for years to come ..I mean there's OLED displays on sale now but wont becoming to the mass market till 2009... i't safe to say we wont see this at a consumer level for a long time to come

OLED seems to be where they're going for tv tech

Back