Too Many Options

Matt

Space Core
Reaction score
In games, how many settings that change the gameplay do you think should be allowed? Let's say that in Half-Life 3, iron sights are added. Of course, huge amounts of people will be angry, as Half-Life has had a history of being very run'n'gunny, but there's a twist: iron sights are only able to be used if the iron sights setting is turned on in the options. Even though it can be turned on or off so easily, people would probably still be angry. So, my opinion on all of this is... nothing really. That's why I posted it here, so I could see less dopey people discuss it. GET TO WORK!

Deus Ex Human Revolution did it, with the option to turn on/off object highlighting. I'd much rather have the option to make the game work the way I want, than to risk the chance of them forcing me to play the lame way. Of course, too many options like that will lead to gaps in balance testing, so it only works to a certain extent.

If it can be done without incurring a ton of feature creep at the expense of the game, every possible option should be available.

I'm still sure that if iron sights were optional, people would still get angry. Would any of you?

I'm still sure that if iron sights were optional, people would still get angry. Would any of you?

No.

I don't think it would matter unless it affected how the game was played, like if they had parts that were designed for iron-sights that messed with the game play on the other end.

I don't think it would matter unless it affected how the game was played, like if they had parts that were designed for iron-sights that messed with the game play on the other end.

How about having optional RPG elements?

I guess if they had 2 different single-player modes telling the same story but in different ways, or if just didn't affect the game to much when it was turned off.

I guess if they had 2 different single-player modes telling the same story but in different ways, or if just didn't affect the game to much when it was turned off.

What would be your limit to the settings? Mine would probably be something like a "Cinematic Alyx" or "talking Gordon" mode.

What would be your limit to the settings? Mine would probably be something like a "Cinematic Alyx" or "talking Gordon" mode.
Mine are about the same, although I think Gordon should have a voice in order for the story to progress and for his character to develop a stronger bond with the others.

Mine are about the same, although I think Gordon should have a voice in order for the story to progress and for his character to develop a stronger bond with the others.

But Gordon is meant to be a blank slate of a character, the opinions of whom you decide. I'd only allow a talking Gordon if they got Ross Scott. Also, you do know that the GMan isn't the administrator?

But Gordon is meant to be a blank slate of a character, the opinions of whom you decide. I'd only allow a talking Gordon if they got Ross Scott. Also, you do know that the GMan isn't the administrator?
In the official audio script for half life, the g man is referred to as the administrator, and I see what your saying and I understand why, but, I would just prefer the option to interact with the characters more in the next game.

In the official audio script for half life, the g man is referred to as the administrator, and I see what your saying and I understand why, but, I would just prefer the option to interact with the characters more in the next game.

Yeah, but the Administrator of Black Mesa was retconned to be Doctor Breen in Half-Life 2...

Yeah, they need to rename him something more official sounding like " the overseer" or something like that.

Well the G-Man isn't his actual name either, just a code name.

Well the G-Man isn't his actual name either, just a code name.

It isn't even really a code name. Valve and the community call him "the G-Man", purely based on his appearance alone as something to reference the character as in the game files and the credits. He hasn't really been referred to by any name or title in the games, besides a few unusual descriptions such as "our mutual friend", etc.

It isn't even really a code name. Valve and the community call him "the G-Man", purely based on his appearance alone as something to reference the character as in the game files and the credits. He hasn't really been referred to by any name or title in the games, besides a few unusual descriptions such as "our mutual friend", etc.
This is confusing.

I know, I was just trying to get my point across that the G-Man ain't his name. Anyway Max, if you want another way of saying G-Man, just use "Alyx Vance From the Past."

I know, I was just trying to get my point across that the G-Man ain't his name. Anyway Max, if you want another way of saying G-Man, just use "Alyx Vance From the Past."
I'm not sure if that's canon.

What would be your limit to the settings?

Iron sights might of been interesting, would be more interesting if every time he picked up a new weapon, Gordon would attach a gizmo at the front of the gun, that is used to detect mass of the gun (counting ammo) and interacts with Gordon's targeting HUD.

I would of loved to see how the limited weapon swapping might of worked.

Well blue shift is non-canon.
[citation needed]

Deus Ex Human Revolution did it, with the option to turn on/off object highlighting. I'd much rather have the option to make the game work the way I want, than to risk the chance of them forcing me to play the lame way. Of course, too many options like that will lead to gaps in balance testing, so it only works to a certain extent.
Agreed here. First thing I did when I started up Human Revolution was checked the options menu. Highlighting -> Off, Crosshairs -> Off, Cover and takedown prompts -> Off. Much preferred it that way but people who wanted those features could still avail of them.

Back