Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they hadn't basically copy/pasted the gameplay from SC1, fans would've criticized it to hell, and Blizzard wants money not innovation!

well they certainly took a chance by taking Warcraft in another direction. in fact it was far more profitable if they had released a warcraft 4

spawn ... more ... instances?

It's what they called the mini-installation you gave to someone you wanted to play Starcraft with on battle.net. It was kind of stupid... you could only play with that person... but I guess it's a good way to get a game out there.

Warcraft 4 might come out some day if they ever stop making WoW stuff, but since it's the most popular MMO ever and some of the most mediocre MMOs go on forever (Everquest, Anarchy Online, etc) I doubt WoW is going anywhere. The franchise is also going to be milked dry by then.

Starcraft 2 is really similar to Starcraft 1 in gameplay, but the unit structuring is different. It seems things are more focused toward tactics rather than management strategies for unit creation and resource management. The latter things are still very important, just less so than in the original.

2. rts mechanics haven really changed all that much in 10+ years, it's basically chess/paper scissors rock ..and it's much more transparent than ever.
Play Company of Heroes. It's the biggest innovation in RTS since Dune 2.

Too bad they ruined it with the expansion.

Play Company of Heroes. It's the biggest innovation in RTS since Dune 2.

Too bad they ruined it with the expansion.

Which one?

I got another starshit 2 key, who wants it.

starshit 2? that doesnt sound like a good game. no thanks

Which one?

I got another starshit 2 key, who wants it.

I assume the second one.. though I didn't play it or finish the first game.

It's innovative and I like it... I just never feel compelled to do single player that much in RTS games without either an amazing story or.. well... I dunno.

starshit 2.

Sounds like you probably don't know how to tech properly, I can help you if you'd like.

icecube.jpg

Sounds like you probably don't know how to tech properly, I can help you if you'd like.

Lol I only played 2 matches of this copypasta then uninstall.

Way to come into a thread where everyone loves the game and call it shit with precious little else to back it up. Where I come from we call that trollin'.

It's definitely not just a port of Broodwar. They retargeted much of the gameplay to new areas and invented an entirely new set of checks and balances. Is it a Blizzard RTS? Yes it is, and it has a lot of elements common to them. The RTS genre is like that I guess. One might say the same for FPSs but I digress. Is it the same damn game with a shiny interface? Certainly not.

Plus you called the franchise "starshit" even though you called the original a quality game, but I don't really know what to do with that one...

StarCraft 2 takes just about everything that was great about the original and improved on it, and then kills the things that made playing difficult.
And while it is similar to the first one(it still FEELS like StarCraft when you play it, imo a very good thing) there are a lot of things that are different to freshen things up.

Also, I am 200% sure that the single player campaign is going to flippin rock my socks off.

StarBob, the original StarCraft had a great story, and an even more awesome setting/background and lore.
Some of the missions can get boring though as there is a lot of the same, just go kill the enemy all over again.

StarCraft 2 takes just about everything that was great about the original and improved on it, and then kills the things that made playing difficult.
And while it is similar to the first one(it still FEELS like StarCraft when you play it, imo a very good thing) there are a lot of things that are different to freshen things up.

Also, I am 200% sure that the single player campaign is going to flippin rock my socks off.

StarBob, the original StarCraft had a great story, and an even more awesome setting/background and lore.
Some of the missions can get boring though as there is a lot of the same, just go kill the enemy all over again.

I know that's what I mean... I won't play a single player RTS campaign unless it's good like Starcraft's or Warcraft 3's. CoH is good too but it gets a little old sometimes when you're crawling through a mission.

I misread one of your posts, thinking you were talking about not playing through the 'first one' somehow thinking StarCraft.

Blizzard announced that the mac beta client has been released. Good news for anyone who owns a mac and wants to try the beta. I'm going to test it out on the iMac and see how it runs. *crosses fingers*

So, Letters and I just got off the last placement match for 2v2. This was quite entertaining.

We are both zerg, they are both terran. I expect reaper rushes, so I prepare by planning a 13 pool no expo. Well, luckily Letters scouts 3 building barracks next to his base. We switch gears and both end up 10 pooling. Marines start coming in, our ligns EASILY dispatch. We get Spine Crawlers in base and charge their mains. Get there, they only had 5 SCVs mining, but worst off....they lifted. I called them Bad Mannered, and they just went with the usual trolling "Fag, you guys suck, lololol" shit.

Free Platinum placement matches ftw.

I bet you can do the same thing like with every game, preorder and when you get the key cancel the order.

I had a match last night against a protoss who had walled in the entire back of his base with photon cannons so I couldn't reaper rush... which set me back because I had reapers just hanging out. So then I decide to get banshees, but when I go to expand he's got dark templars all over the place and kills my first expansion. Then he attacks my main, but by then I had grabbed a raven and - for some reason - he left them there to die.

Well I don't know what happened after that but instead of sealing the deal having stopped my expansion and taken out some of my production... he just doesn't do anything. I end up swarming battlecruisers with some ravens and rolling around the whole map taking him out. He had built a mothership (not that great vs a couple yamato shots) and a handful of carriers.

I think he spent all his resources walling himself in with photon cannons or something despite the nonexistant threat I posed most of the game. I just don't get while he didn't seal the deal when he had me over a barrel so to speak.

Yeah I've had a couple matches go like that. It seems like some people have absolutely no ability to expand in contrast to their single-base game being top-notch. I even tell 'em at the end, "Why didn't you expand? You could have had me!" ... I thought expansion was such an elementary, universal thing too.

As Terran it's always easy to go from beginning to end game stuff. I like to jump straight to battlecruisers because they just tear things up. Plus the earlier you get them, the higher chance they'll have the game-changing yamato charge ready...

I was playing with a guy who had had a battlecruiser at about the six minute mark and killed me with it because I went with reapers. Reapers don't really have any uses except killing workers and GTFO. Apparently incapable of pointing their guns up or throwing their exploding bomb ball frisbees above their heads.

voiper.day

Add me faggets. I'm pretty rusty (never got good at Brood), so I need people to show me how it's done.

You guys act like people aren't allowed to have an opinion. it's almost as if you guys are SC2 fanbois.

HL2 = second worst game of all time
HL1 = worst game of all time and caused all subsequent FPS to go downhill
if the above does not anger you, replace HL with SC and FPS with RTS

HL2 = second worst game of all time
HL1 = worst game of all time and caused all subsequent FPS to go downhill
if the above does not anger you, replace HL with SC and FPS with RTS

It's true though. Thank god for Halo.

It's true though. Thank god for Halo.
So this.

Also, played a game on the iMac. Ran much smoother than my comp on the same settings. I used the Mighty Mouse™(of suckage) and was still able to get 150Amp at a couple points in the game.
I just played one FFA game because I don't trust any Apple made mouse in a competitive match. (I'm surprised that I won the one I played to be truthful. Yes, their mice are really that bad.)

I got a beta key :D If you want to add me, it's TheDickens.soupstorm. I hope I'm doing the name.identifier thing right...

Yeah, I just got a friend invite.....

Gonna give this one to Xev so he can have his own account finally, since he's too damn lazy to pre-order.

Everyone.smokeweed

My awesome roommates pick my names. We're all .smokeweed because it's HILARIOUS or something.

Just add me, I want to play with ya'll. More than ready to harass you with VRs, reaps and a little 9 ---> pool 6 zr ackshun.

p.s. Immortals, ******s.

How can you all be .smokeweed? Isn't that the unique part of the name? Or does it all have to be unique then?

As Terran it's always easy to go from beginning to end game stuff. I like to jump straight to battlecruisers because they just tear things up. Plus the earlier you get them, the higher chance they'll have the game-changing yamato charge ready...

I was playing with a guy who had had a battlecruiser at about the six minute mark and killed me with it because I went with reapers. Reapers don't really have any uses except killing workers and GTFO. Apparently incapable of pointing their guns up or throwing their exploding bomb ball frisbees above their heads.

Straight to cruisers? D: Eegads mate, I'd be scared shitless waiting to tech up that far. Reapers are units obviously designed for harassment and early game resource staggering, that's the whole point. The game just has a proper way of doing things, each unit has a proper counter-unit or at least an equivalent. It's still a game about refining very specific processes and anticipatory educated-guess type strategies. Most games in Gold/Plat don't tech or upgrade extrodinarily high, but it's certainly an improvement over Starcraft's insistence on meticulous and, to me, outright annoying focus on arbitrary resource/unit management.

Queens, Chrono Boost, Orbital Command and Planetary Defense are all fantastic ways of ironing out the compulsory and ultimately arbitrary and boring mundanities that plagued BW. The balancing act was taken as a serious science by Blizzard, the result is something with multiple levels of competition. A game that's played completely differently depending on your experience and skill level in all the key aspects that made the original so memorable (tech, micro, macro, ruse and counters, just to name a few).

I didn't think it was possible for me to get a stiffy this big over an RTS game. I was hopeful that they would come up with something flexible, intuitive and, at the dismay of many OCD bnet diehards, simplify things. God forbid.

Equally silly is anyone surprise when they see legions of complaints when the Starcraft has become not just the quintessential PC strategy game, it's a damn cultural phenomenon. The best way to express your conservatism and objection to changes is obvious: play Brood War or one of the seven thousand mods which will inevitably surface attempting to bring back the "good old days" and slap us with Brood War: Hardcore Facelift edition.

You know what, **** build/mineral waypoints, obs towers and destructables, I'd prefer the game still ended during the first 30 seconds of tech with your scout micro determining a win or loss. I'll take Craft 2 and the pressure to essentially make your base tech itself while you manage units and attempts to circumvent traditional face to face battles. Sure, that photon cannon behind your minerals meant going for that Forge uncomfortably early or keeping a few zealots at home, but his decision to chew up early unit spots mean proper drone or early defensive micro spells victory.

To anyone who reasons that this simplicity implies deadened competition you just plain haven't seen four genuinely skilled, non-exploitative RTS diehards whet their horns. The game is much more brutal in nearly every skill level, with battles taking place all over the map instead of binary wars of attrition (fails) vs. mass, immediate and consistent entry-tech (still exceedingly powerful in SC2) vs. Mid-level (Mortals, Siege Tanks, Hydras). The fact is that no matter what skill level you're at, an enriching and competitive match becomes possible against someone at a similar skill level.

Brood War will get a face lift in the form of custom games and popular mods. The time tested, Korean adulated, original game which featuring the oh-so-lauded and highly competitive niche and strategues determined by fractions of a second of drone movement.

So is Starcraft 2 more simplistic? No, it's just an entirely different, more accessible and ultimately competent game that already glimmers with the same world class, industry leading QA still present at the now very much acquired Blizzard.

The presupposition is the worst part of it all--that somehow Blizzard as a developer is obligated to recreate the same game and appeal to an audience that started picketing as soon as they realized a sequel was even a feasible expenditure.

Warcraft 3's furor showed us this--the hordes of neckbeards claiming Blizzard personally hated them all and wanted to kill their families and rape their girlfriends. So, yeah, let's all keep acting surprised at both the fanboyism, complaints and technicalities surrounding what may very well be the most internationally renown PC strategy game of all time.

[strike]God[/strike] Adun forbid the most influential RTS developers in the world deviate from the monotony and exclusiveness which dominated competitive high-end game play in the original, so much so that you and your friends "don't really play that much anymore on bnet, save for custom games and at throwback LANs!

Maybe it would be more helpful for the reactionary players jonesing for a sexier Brood War to think of SC2 as a new platform from which to launch their ideal, refined, now more copulsive'r than ever RTS, just remind me to stay the hell away from it with my pre-adolescent attention span and childish tendency towards enjoying well put together, blanaced, vastly more inclusive and intensely competitive... simplified rubbish.

Hope this makes sense, it doesn't really to me. I probably won't have time to reply but I'll keep lurking. (not in sc2, they removed those, re:re: Roach).

I actually read all that. I've never written this much in a post ever. That's longer than some of my essays. gg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back