Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
60 bucks to play a beta for a month or two *minimum*, then to play a game that should encompass a good chunk of your time?

I guess that's worth it for me.

So I just 5-0'd my placement matches and got put into platinum league.

familyguygood20good.gif

help me

Awesome job Letters! Enjoy your time there. I am 3-1 in my placement, the game I lost was a sad day as I could have won it but I messed up because I have having horrible lag/stuttering from my computer and it threw off my timing. Hopefully I'll win my next one and make it to gold again at least.

I've only played 1 placement match. I've been playing with the netters all the time.

Well I just played another placement match, but they wiped it again so I have 4 more wins to make. Still some hope for Platinum!

Apparently EB Canada is out of beta keys. I'm pretty ****ing pissed.

What race are you?

All buildings are "armored", so build units that are good against those. Roaches, Immortals, Marauders, etc. You can also try massing smaller units (lings, marines, zealots), but that works better against only a small group of turrets. Either way, anti-armor units are the way to go.

If they proxy pylon cannon rush your base, scout your base and make sure they don't do that. Then get your tier 1 units up and micro to STOP THAT PROBE

For me as a Protoss player I usually get void rays and sneak around the back, as those pesky cannons are usually at the ramp of their main. If they've invested a lot of min into walling themselves up with tons of cannons, they can't have very many units.

Just run in and kill that one pylon powering those 20 cannons.

I got this beta shist. I've been playing some 2v2s with my friend trying to stop sucking. We're not doing terribly but we're definitely not doing well. Good times though. Maybe I'll get awesome at it and not suck forever like I did back in 1998.

God I love playing with terran. I can just one barrack to FE in every game. Just build one bunker and theres no shit coming during the next 5min that can run over it. Then just build one more bunker and start harasing with air. Only need to get like 2 banshees and it's usually gg's.

I've been playing terran and haven't really dipped into the other races. I guess I should check them out just to know what I could be up against.

what do you do against protoss that just masses photon cannons?

what the germans did in world war two with the french

GO AROUND THEM

The only ****ing right answer here. Unless you have a lot of money and have seriously out expanded them, just go around. Drop into their mineral line and watch them GG.

As I've told everybody else around here, you can play your one race forever *Stares at Xev...*, but you can't feel so cool to say "Yeah, I'm ranked so and so as random" :p

I wonder whats the idea behind the replay system rewinding. "um like you remember 10 years ago when we all had vhs and it was pain in the ass to always rewind them yea? Let's make this to a modern game, totally awsome"

To the people who have the beta, how polished is it? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how near to completion do you think Blizzard are with the multiplayer that you've played?

To the people who have the beta, how polished is it? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how near to completion do you think Blizzard are with the multiplayer that you've played?

The game feels really complete right now. The issues I assume they're working out are minor bugs and balance issues. I'm not sure how balanced anything is and balance issues are never resolves in beta... it takes a few weeks of everyone figuring out every possible exploit, then it gets patched for the next wave of exploits. It's fun.

But yeah I don't get the replay thing either. I assume it's made in a way that won't take up a thousand gigs... so maybe that's why the interface is kind of clunky...

It's complete. They just need to balance it.

I see no issues with the replay system.....:shrug:

Well assuming you don't wanna watch the first 10 minutes of the match... you can't just skip to minute 10... you have to fast forward... which really shouldn't be a product of the digital world.

Considering that every RTS replay system I've seen works that way, I'm sure it's out of habit rather than technological limitation.

The replay system for sc2 is nowhere near as bad as the css demo system, so count yourselves lucky.

Considering a replay is like 250kb... I'm assuming it's just the way they're stored. Though I'm not sure how they makes them in to this sequentially created thing that can't be searched actively. Not sure what an index would add to the file but... I dunno. I'm just glad they exist and they don't take up my entire shrinking hard drive space.

Considering it's just actions being replayed by the AI, I'd assume that's the reason you can't fast forward...they haven't made the moves yet!

Yeah replays work by sending all of the commands given during the game back though the system to recreate it. Like Pitz said you can't skip ahead because the system has to process these commands in sequence.
However an important new thing Blizz has done is allow you to jump around in the parts that have loaded so maybe we'll see replays pre-loaded in the future, although that would increase load times especially for long replays. Maybe Blizz could just pre-load the first 5 minutes instead.

Multiplayer is in a very releasable state, balance work is still going but I can't see any changes being so big that it would affect the release date.

If anything is holding back release it would be battle.net, it's been having issues and since connection to it is required for SC2 it is something Blizz would want to get right before release.

really late to the party but I finally got an invite to the beta, wheeeee!!!

And the you were dropped shit is back again :/

Really the best feeling when you totally demolish the other players army, expand, move out and THEN get "you were dropped"

I haven't been dropped from a game yet. Really enjoying the beta, feeling like I'm getting better too.

I haven't been dropped from a game yet. Really enjoying the beta, feeling like I'm getting better too.

All of those things apply directly to me as well.

My friend and I drew comparisons to between this and chess in that, you can often see yourself losing well before you do and it seems like it takes an eternity for it to actually happen.

Back when I was originally playing Starcraft it was basically just me hoping I could build to get the toughest units and then massing them for a big battle... which seldom worked. Now I find myself playing like the cool people do and building units with certain strengths and weaknesses to attack in certain ways or counter in others. It's interesting to see what an RTS becomes when there are so many people working toward creating and balancing.

I got one extra beta key. I need to ask a few friends if they want it, but if they don't I'll give it to some HL2.net guy.

Edit: I actually got two keys. Enjoy your invite AiM.

I'd still like a key if any kind soul could part with an invite. :D

Ya know Starcraft was how I got the name StarBob.

Back when it was released my friend's stepdad played it and installed that... um... friend copy thing they let you do. He was StarMan and I didn't know what name to pick so I hastily made mine StarBob. It was one of my first forays into online gaming. Now 12 years later I'm doing the same thing.

Wow did they really wait 12 years to put out a sequel to one of the most popular RTS games ever? I don't think anyone would ever do that these days with franchising the way it is. A popular franchise is lucky to see a year between iterations... like the EA Sequel Machine.

I don't know if I could get Starcraft 2 very soon. It's going to cost like $70 here.

:(

Well, at least I have Starcraft: Broodwar to keep me happy for the rest of my life.

havent played a RTS since ...warcraft 2 I think. played SC2 last night; sure it's a pretty game and there's lots of nice little touches throughout however I'm not sure I'll get this game. 1. I'll never have enough time to become good at it 2. rts mechanics haven really changed all that much in 10+ years, it's basically chess/paper scissors rock ..and it's much more transparent than ever. perhaps because in the years since warcraft 2 I've played tons of other genres that the rts genre seems to be the opposite of immersive; not necessarily a bad thing but I think I've outgrown it. oh well I'll give SC 2 more time

btw I was slaughted by the AI (very easy setting) within 20 mins. probably because I spent too much time just dicking around with stuff

here's hoping Diablo 3 comes out soon(ish) ...although I'll probably just discover I'm over point and click games and have been since I stopped playing D2 years ago. come blizzard make something outside of your comfort level. wow proved to be huge I'm sure anything you bring to market in any other genre will also prove successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back