Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf really? So they made the phoenix completely invincible in air to air with a little micro? I mean honestly are there even any other units that can fire while moving? I'm glad that took Raven powers from the fusion core so I can avoid building it when I'm doing fast viking and need a useful raven. The seeker isn't bad... like a mini yamato cannon... but those anti-missle lasers are life savers.

The thor changes sound interesting, I don't remember what the 250mm cannon was researched at efore so I dunno what's goin on with it. Maybe I can try it out though.

It was available from the start before. With how long it takes to charge initially I don't see why they made it a research item but I do admit it's really freaking strong. When you absolutely, positively need a structure destroyed NOW, look nowhere else.

Anyone have a spare key? I've been playing the offline beta and now that it's summer I want to play online. How do I go about procuring one?

Ya you can get one for 5 bucks of preordism... that's how I got mine. Some people have been handing them out around here though.

Neat... I still don't see why having a handful of units be able to take out a ridiculous number of mass units is fair but... I dunno. I played today and didn't encounter them though... and I doubt I'll come across many people who can micro them well enough that they are invincible.

I'm downloading now and have about 75 minutes to go. I'm gonna go sleep on my couch since there are spiders in my bedroom.

The phoenix seems pretty strong now. Does it even require any micro? Just shift click and it will automatically shoot while moving? Same thing works with the Void Ray, if you need to move to some location in the enemy base just shift click and it will move and keep the beam charged, it will move and fire once on every 'checkpoint.'

It's fun how things evolve with every patch. Recently like every zerg was just going muta/speedling. Now people are back to this first roach/ling then roach/hydra.

Strange that they nerfed the Thor cannon spell. It wasn't really that powerful during the early-mid game, sure it does 500 over 6s. Now what unit can't kill the Thor in 6s, damn I think even workers can kill it in that time. Plus you can't really snipe hatc/nex/com with it, they all have like +1000 health. But when the game transitions to mid game and you start having like 3-4 thors and medivacs to back them, tech sniping becomes really powerful. Although I'd just rather tech snipe with dt's.

So I've been thinking of how to get more use out of ghosts...

Anyone wanna help me see if fungal growth + nuke is plausible? I'm thinking a few infestors spamming fungal growth while a ghost nukes slightly behind the enemy may be able to take down an army, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be to coordinate (possibly need ventrilo for that)

Just kinda trying to come up with some new strategies, since they keep nerfing my favorite units :-(

I can't see nuke and fungal growth working as well as Vortex and nuke. Doesn't it only last 10 seconds? So you'd need to hit it again after the first Fungal Growth. Generally speaking, the battle would be won or lost already at that point. Nuke takes 20 seconds, so...not sure.

And chances are the fungal growthee will be immediately retreating any surviving forces.

I've been getting a lot of use out of ling/fast hydra lately. If I can keep moderate pressure in the opening, it usually forces the other person to go anti-ling or wall in and mass muta/void/banshee/etc :D

Looking for some hl2.neters to play with

ktimekiller.dorrus

add me

TheDickens.soupstorm

I'm Copper right now. What league are you in?

I did the placement match for platinum, but I am assuming I am currently only mid-high gold

I haven't played any games past placement besides custom so I don't own my rank before I know I can maintain the platinum

Yeah, holding the plat league is tough. I'm having a harder and harder time lately. I just crumble when it comes to the mid/late game.

I just started playing again lately, crushing the practice games. I'm considering intentionally losing the placement matches to get into a lower league so I can win more haha

Yeah, some of the better people have lost all their placements and played their games to see how long it would take to get ranked into Plat correctly. I think the average is like 30 games or so.

I'm only in the silver league in 1v1 but it's been a breeze lately. My friend and I are having a terrible time with 2v2 though. We're in bronze but we can't even break .500. We both do well individually but together we can never seem to pull off a good chain of wins. We tend to win longer matches but we seem to lose when one of us is rushed. We win when matches go longer into the final tiers and when we defend well and counterattack. I guess we just have to work on either being better rushers or defendin better.

Does anyone know where to find a guide and/or AI for this beta? I need to learn how to play again.

days9 is bomb

Starbob, ingame id?

ktimekiller.dorrus

Looking for practice partners

pitz, i heard your comment being answered on day9's nony's tvp phoenix play replays.

unless that was another cyberpitz ><

Yeah, that was my super drunk question. In retrospect, I shoulda known the answer, since it is such a SMAALLLL map, but the idea works well on larger maps, as you could chrono boost/get some different units based on what you see.

OK, I've got yet another beta key. Who wants it? *I'm sure everybody who wants one already has one, now...*

I need to start playing more 1v1s but I am distracted by my 2v2 escapades...

We're trying a Protoss/Terran dynamic that seems to work fairly well. Essentially one of us has to build some fast units to hold down the fort and the other has to go mid tier air. The last game we won, he did a zealot swarm and I barricaded in with some marines and a couple siege tanks, then build a ton of vikings from reactor-starports and swarmed the base.

The next time around we tried a dual rush because they were going for fast expansions. We did some damage to one of them but got beaten back by a lot of zealots. Then we ended up (coincidentally) going both cloaked (DTs and Banshees) and won out of a sheer lack of detectors. I think it's gotten to the point that the MMM strategy is all but beaten outside of 1v1.

My ID is Endyo.life

Hopefully if I do some more 1v1 I can get to gold... I'm just too busy to do them.

OK, I've got yet another beta key. Who wants it? *I'm sure everybody who wants one already has one, now...*

you really should mention that whoever wants it should post in the thread. unless of course you like having your inbox overflowing. :naughty:

The last time I posted something in the thread, I had one person send me a joke PM about it and another saying "I guess I'll take it"

That was it lol...

I did my "strategy" of losing all the placement rounds to get put into the bronze league then won a bunch of matches and am now at the top of it. I think the system is starting to catch on though because I've had a couple games with some pretty good people.

I need to play some more and see where I'm actually supposed to be in the ladder.

Sorry, I meant written guides before. fixed. Does anyone have a written guide?

Okay firstly the Beta wasn't meant to be newbie-friendly, while matchmaking helps A LOT just be aware that the retail version will feature better help for beginners.

As for a guide, this one describes the basics well, it was written for SC1 so not everything is applicable but the core ideas haven't changed for SC2. Which units do what and which units counter what are things you'll learn just by playing and by using the in-game help (F12 while in-game). Playing a game versus a "Very Easy AI" can be done though creating a custom game.

Wow, the difference between gold and platinum is just HUUUUUUUUGE. I mean when I played in gold most of the players were damn stupid, they just seemed to have this one gimmicky tactic "hay guise i put cannon in yo base!"

But now in plat the games are really tough, something like a 7 bar/gas to Reaper never works. I'm seeing a shit ton of Thors being used and I'm having a huge problem against them with Zerg, sure in theory you can just surround them with lings and it's easy. But theres no player who won't micro marines/scv's around them.

I guess the real learning starts now.

I have 2 keys available, too.

Hey man, can you send me one? I'm getting tired of living my Starcraft 2 fantasies alone

:(

1sad.png

2sad.png

3sad.png

4sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back