Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardcore gamers are idiots. Surely winning in a strategy game should be about strategy and tactics, not who is able to issue 5 orders a second in order to spread out their units. Even Tiberian Dawn had a scatter button.

Well that's why it's a real time strategy. There are plenty of turn-based strategy games out there bro.

What Vegeta said is what I tried to say, only it was SUPER EFFECTIVE!

There is a reason why SC2 is still the only traditional RTS in the market.

SC1 was uber skill based, they are trying to make SC2 the same.

Yeah. It seems like mainstream RTS and turn-based strategy are moving towards a singular genre. I'm glad Blizzard is still keeping traditional RTS gameplay around, even if I suck at it.

THEY SHRUNK THE THOR!?! Wat. If the old model matched the old radius, that means they shrunk it by over freaking HALF. The Thor is supposed to be mighty! I realize this is a buff to him and it'll make him more usable but still, just on principle I loved the ol' lumbering death platform that takes up half your base.

On that same principle I hated the Thors. I hope that they become more Goliath like in future patches because the Thor is just ridiculous as it is now.
I do believe this is a step in the right direction though.
b638s8.png

Looks like a Giant SCV :LOL: (and whoever took this shot has the worst graphics settings ever)

Those graphics look.. stylized and cool. Like whoever took it put a filter.

Yeah that looks like it's drawn in crayon...

Thors aren't that much smaller but it is noticeable. They are becoming more and more like Goliaths for whatever reason. They made their activated ability an afterthought and changed their ground attack from a slow blast to a fast poke. Now the only difference is that their air attack does splash... even though goliaths had that massive range on their missiles...

I'm not suggesting removing micro. I adore CoH and that has loads of micro. But it also has unit AI that will somewhat automatically spread out and take cover. Some people (me) might not want to manually scatter all their units manually. Doing it manually would probably be more effective than a scatter button but it allows players who don't want to be uberpro to avoid AOE too. It doesn't remove micro in the least.

And vegeta, you're an idiot.

rofl, a -10 loss bumped me from 17th plat, to 17th gold 0_o
Doesn't work that way, matchmaking changes your League based on multiple games not just one:
BlizzPost said:
After you’ve finished your initial placement, the system continues to review your performance and determines what league you should be placed in based on those reviews. The time and frequency of these reviews is kept hidden.
You've probably had a bunch of losses to Gold players semi-recently and it's only been bonus points that has kept your rank high Plat, or something.

Oh Sean Plott, how you make my heart twinge and my cock tingle.

I lol'ed when he did that in his daily ep. Funny guy is funny.

I'm not suggesting removing micro. I adore CoH and that has loads of micro. But it also has unit AI that will somewhat automatically spread out and take cover. Some people (me) might not want to manually scatter all their units manually. Doing it manually would probably be more effective than a scatter button but it allows players who don't want to be uberpro to avoid AOE too. It doesn't remove micro in the least.

And vegeta, you're an idiot.

Starcraft is 100% reliant on uber micro. If you aren't interested don't play but that's how it is and always has been.

Been loving the beta, played all last night. Thanks for the key Pitzy! I've been getting mostly destroyed though, I won 3 of the qualifying matches and have lost every real match but one so far :( What are some good build orders? With zerg I've been 10pooling, drone, ovie, then rushing roaches, and I've sort of learned to cannon rush with toss but with limited success. (8 pylon)

CoH is a blend between RTT and RTS. Comparing it to SC is bad bad. Also, the ai in CoH was far from perfect: you could have units run out of your control into green cover, even if you were intending to keep them away from it because you know there was a mine there. That shit don't fly in competitive games.

Ennui, glad you're finally able to enjoy the beta. Placement matches the first time can be a bit of a pain since most people in the lower levels focus on rushes/cheeses and it's hard to get a hold of the first time you play but with more play time you'll be able to know what to do to fend that sort of stuff off.
What is your id?
A good build order for zerg that keeps you pretty save from early harass is 9/10 ovie with a 12pool then queen and some lings. Once you have that then you can take an expand or go for a bigger push. If you're confident that you'll be save going FE you could 14hatch/pool(riskier against lower ranked players IMO)
Usually a 12gate/rax/pool is early enough to keep you save from things like 6pool or reaper harass if you are sure to make a few units before teching too hard.

<3 Veg

Pitz that Day9 dance is sexy-hot!

What does putting 12 in front of words mean?

It's your supply count.

10pool *At 10 supply make a spawning pool*

It's only cheese if it's not scouted. It's easily counterable if you see it.

I have just been reminded it is friday. whew, thank god. I suppose I'll play until sleep tonight :cheers:

BTW I'll be arriving at home at 10-11pm my time. I think that's when you leave work.

YEAH, GOD DAMN. Time to leave again, I'll return in about 5 hours!

in 5 hours I'll have been home for 2!! I'll be drunk by the time you get back *Not like that is anything new with us, right? :D*

I will be on by 9:30 central! I've really only played a few games this week; I need to get a good marathon night in! I've got a slightly altered zergling attack I've yet to try... +1 attack and speed on about 40 by ~7 minutes in? I think it's possible!

I'll be around tonight too :D I haven't played in like a week, but I don't think I've forgotten anything important. Should be fun!

I should be on for at least a few games tonight. :)

Edit: -e from one. Shouldn't be possible for me to not notice something like that...

Doesn't work that way, matchmaking changes your League based on multiple games not just one:

You've probably had a bunch of losses to Gold players semi-recently and it's only been bonus points that has kept your rank high Plat, or something.

I know thats not how it works, but it happened.

It also moved divisions for me from 147 to 363 or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back