Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can manually explode, causing the AoE damage originating from their own body, they can die, which causes AoE to again, originate from their body (I believe, but must test it to be sure on death AoE), or they can attack a unit, which causes the AoE to originate from the target it exploded on.

If the player A right clicks with the banes, they will explode on the closest things they find. More skilled players maneuver them to specifically go for the light units.

If you note the above functions on AoE, killing them while they are not within your blob of MM is your best bet to prevent a larger spread of damage.

Because of this, it is preferable to keep an ARC of Marauders in the front side so that the ones that explode from death do not harm marines. Always remember, stim concussive kite!

Also, rather than a blob, you might want to (if you have the micro for it anyways) spread your blob into a triangle. It will limit the damage they deal. The triangle is actually the best way to deal with ANY melee/short range units. Retreat with the corner that is being chased, while the other two corners happily shoot away while you minimize the damage taken. Obviously this doesn't work too well in a large army fight, but during a retreat/advance between small forces, this works remarkably well to preserve your units, but deal tons of damage at the same time.

A great example of this was the may 18th day9 cast, episode 118.

http://day9tv.blip.tv/

I noticed recently that MM default into a circle with the marines on the inside and the maurauders on the outside.

So let me get this right - their only ability is to detonate, and they'll auto attack and detonate if they attack move or right click a target, but you can also detonate them on your own as well? I think I more often see them attack detonate. I've really never had a huge problem with them, but I played against some kind of super zerg the other day who somehow managed a huge mass of zerglings and about 6 banelings too. I didn't have enough maurauders in my group to block them so all of the marines died and I was just sitting there with like 6 maurauders vs all of those zerglings.

I was thinking about doing an all marine build to be both faster and more effective against light units, but they're so weak vs AOE that if I took more than 10 minutes to attack, there's a pretty good chance I'd lose to a single siege tank or something.

However, last night in a 2v2 match I essentially made fully upgraded marines the entire match and it turned out to be effective just because the enemy terran tried to copy me (I think without even upgrading them) and the enemy protoss kept building carriers which barely touched the marines. We managed map control and for some reason they didn't build a single high templar or siege tank and ran out of resources. It was kind of ridiculous really and figure they just sucked more than all marines worked.

Besides - Vikings are the real champions of Terran.

Yea, there is a manual detonate ability, and a right click for auto cast to auto acquire buildings on auto attack ability.

Otherwise, when A right clicked, they behave like any other unit, hit the closest thing they come to, except they explode. So basically, you WANT the Zerg to A right click, because they will auto acquire Marauders (assuming they are in the front :p), and wont touch your Marines. But like I said, some players may move right click or target right click to attempt to reach the light units, in which case you either try to kill them while they are in contact with your Marauders to limit their damage, or kite and shoot, spread into a triangle, or just flat out run.

Just realized I've been saying A right click, when it is A left click.

Some other points about Banelings:

Banelings also get a bonus against buildings.
When burrowed Banelings still have the player controlled option of instant detonation.
Like all ground Zerg units when burrowed you can activate autocast on unburrow, i.e. wait until an enemy unit is within attack range, unburrow then attack.

One thing you can do with banelings is to just "move" them around the enemy. They still deal their AoE dmg when they get shot down, so if you just move them into the center of the army and they get shot/killed, then you can deal more dmg.

*EDIT* This is how to DEAL with them. Oops.

1.) Get your armored units up front and split them. Micro sot hey are not all balled together, so when the banes explode, they deal minimal splash.
2.) Units with splash are very good. Usually the banelings are balled or Limbo lining towards you. Hellions, Sieged Tanks, etc work awesomely.
3.) If you are walling in, wall in with the larger buildings. Barracks, Factory, etc.

Best way to deal with them as Terran. Go Mech.

Seriously, I started going Mech vs zerg and I'm basically like "huge pwning robots of d00m" and the zerg is all like "OMFG HOW DO I BEAT THIS THIS ISNT MMM!?!?!"

Here's the basic idea of the build:

1) On your first rax build a reactor asap
2) Build a factory asap
3) Build 2nd refinery at around 18/20 supply
4) Saturate both refineries
5)Swap out the rax and factory, so that your factory is now attached to the reactor.
6) Make a tech lab with your rax
7)Build a 2nd factory, get a tech lab on it.
8)Research hellion dmg upgrade
9) Build armory

The main idea is this:

Rax pumps out marines at the start, until your factory is done. Then when you put your factory on the reactor, pump out hellions. You want to get enough hellions to harass, but not too many. 8/10 hellions at any time should be good enough for your purposes. Make sure you always have a hellion force of that size.

When you have your first 4 or 5 hellions, immediately send them to harass the zerg. Lings will be OMGWTFBBQ by hellions even without upgrades, you just need to micro them correctly. Smart zerg will start teching to roaches right away, and build some sunken colonies while they wait for them to come out. Use your hellions to harass their workers until roaches/static defence make it impossible.

While your harass is happening you should be pumping out marauders and building an armory. As soon as the armory is done your tech lab factory should be pumping out Thors. Thors will help vs roaches, but you're really making them for the inevitable mutalisk attack. When Zerg sees you got hellions, they'll respond roaches. When they see marauders, they will try air. Then they see the thors, and they will try infestors. The game should be over before they can get infestors, really.

So your buildings:

Rax w tech lab pumping out marauders (stim optional, conc shells required)
Factory with reactor pumping out hellions
Factory with tech lab pumping out thors.

Obviously a micro heavy build, but it's amazingly successful (100% sucess rate for me vs zerg so far).

I'm still trying to come up with a good start vs toss. Half their units piss me off immensely.

I find the 1/1/1 build far more versatile than anything else that I have seen from Terran. Though I have not faced a Terran player in at least 10 matches because everyone plays ****ING PROTOSS

Ew, hell no, that 1/1/1 build looks terribad vs zerg.

All it takes is one baneling bust and it's GG for terran. May be good vs protoss, but definitely not vs zerg. All you need is cracklings/speedlings, some banelings to take care of the marines, and then it's GG. You can just use spore colonies to defend vs banshees, and the banshees will be useless vs your all ground force since you have so many zerglings, it will take forever for banshees to take them down. Meanwhile baneling can bust down the wall, and zerglings can stream into the mineral line. GG Terran.

What's 1/1/1? Also, I do enjoy helions vs zerg, but I often ignore them. I really do well against protoss 1v1 and usually Zerg too. The problem I have is Terran vs Terran because siege tanks are deadly to MM and not hard to get so you have to either go for a big ol drop or tech to banshees - which still aren't good vs Terran. The only way to guarantee a win agaist a lot of siege tanks is your own siege tanks with a million marine march. Practically invincible to anything but wonderfully micro'd melee and AOE. I like to use a ghost vs protoss as well. That's always a good time even without cloaks.

There is a 1/1/1 by The Little One against a Zerg that is utterly crushing, but I can't remember which player Zerg was.

Against a Terran who isn't brain dead and uses more than a single supply depo to wall, bust isn't happening.

1/1/1 is where you get one rax, one factory, and one starport, and build whatever the hell you need out of just those. add 1 rax, or factory, or starport as necessary, but don't stack 1 single producing structure.

I really wanna learn how to do the 1/1/1...it looks so awesome.

I'm getting so frigging bored of this game. It would be the same to play against a scripted AI. I just tried playing 5 games in a row without scouting once for a test. In every game I was right on what was coming. Protoss always goes VR, zerg FE into Muta/Ling (hell, he even did that after he saw my hydra/roach), terran always go for tank/viking. Atleast in the gold league there was some variance in builds and people actually tried something. It's like playing solitaire but you always get dealt the same cards.

Tank viking? What good is that? Even if you could micro them really well, they're susceptible to almost anything. If you have the vikings in the sky, like 5 fast zealots could kill the tanks before you can get the vikings on the ground ... or really anything that moves quickly. If you have them on the ground a bunch of mutas or... again just about anything flying and fast could take them out. I like to use vikings on their own since they're cheap and fast to build and great for flanking.

What's with void rays anyways? They buff the bejesus out of them like a month ago or whatever making them only have two levels of lazorbean that apparently never resets. Their huge vs armor boost means they melt a base in like a minute and the only thing you can really use vs them are a ton of light units. Even then, because their beam doesn't reset, as they bounce between the units they do full damage. I find them to be much more effective than carriers - since carriers apparently need to sit directly on top of their target to use interceptors, and they're cheaper. They should make those things just attack ground so phoenixes are actually necessary.

Well the idea is to have tanks/vikings only, vikings give you vision, so your zealots won't even be on charge range, when the first volley hits. Early on the build is pretty weak, but once you have like 5 tanks and lots of vikings it becomes really anoying. Anything that comes in range 13 and isn't flying will pretty much evaporate (except immortals). And theres really no reason to bring the vikings down.

Edit: Oh. Forgot to mention that I usually only see this on TvT.

I feel like every class should have some kind of immortal-like unit that basically only has one application - to take out hard hitting things. I guess it makes up for the fact that protoss don't have a big hard hitting unit. But they made immortals thor, siege tank, and ultralisk killers. It seems protoss have perfect counters against everything except maybe mass mutas... but they're not really weak to them as much as it takes a little more effort than other units. Really though it does seem balanced... I just hate playing Terran vs Terran because it always comes down to siege tanks doing something terrible.

the ladder system is really frustrating imo. They seem to have it set up so you get a winnable match every other game and a really difficult one in between. I've been beating bronze, copper, silver and sometimes even gold players regularly but I still haven't changed leagues.

They should set it up so you only get matched with players in at most one league above you and if you keep winning games against them then move you up a league.

That's way too much moving....Won one, UP. Lost one, DOWN. Lost one, DOWN. Won one, UP. Won one, UP.

Yeah, I'd commit suicide. I find the ladder system fine for now, and I'm SURE when the beta goes down for a few weeks and they work on bnet, the way it analyzes where you are will probably get tweaked a bit. As of now, though, going off a large arc of games you play to determine where you truly should be matched is fine.

* Stimpack research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.
* Combat Shield research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

Sick...

And also:

Targets a single biological unit which deals 25% more damage and is immune to snare, stuns, and mind control for 30 seconds.

Why do these SC2 patch notes look more and more like World of Warcraft patch notes! :p

All I can say is I plan to poop on stargates all day and all night. Eat shit, voidray rushers.

haha, you just hate them because you go mass roach and don't usually get any hydras

I'm like the only person who sees the glory in like 4 infestors at full energy Frenzying an entire army of Hydras....good god.

The frenzy is nice, the overseer is nice, but the ultra change is just facepalm.

They clearly do not understand WHY people do not use ultras.

I wonder if the frenzy will be auto activated like Warcraft spells. Otherwise I Can't see it being feasible to pull that into current micro... casting 20 frenzies.

While the ultralisk is getting nerfed, it's getting a damage buff at the same time. They're just weakening it to mass small units and air. Those things were tough to kill...

I like the Terran change because it will make it so I can attack prolly 20-30 seconds sooner... and any Void Ray debuff is a good debuff. It's getting to the point that when I play Protoss I want to just stack marines and nothing else so I can deal with them until I can get 4,000 vikings. Missle turrets are wothless against them. Might as wel just try putting a paper bag in their way.

I think it would be better if Frenzy was an AOE ability like Fungal Growth, and cost 50 or 75 energy per use.

I wonder if frenzy will work on banelings...
It does seem like a really nice spell. It would have great spiking/sniping potential when paired with the corruptor's new ability.

Valks were awesome units vs zerg, and would be excellent in SC2 as their biggest shortcoming in BW was that there were scourge flying around.

I want Valkries back.

Oh, but Vikings are so good. Highly mobile anti-air force that also excels at raiding expos? Yes please!

Bnet is down, updater comes up when you launch SC2 but the patch isn't available for DL yet. I'm getting antsy, been watching day9 for 3 hours and I need to get in there and take advantage of the Terran buff :D

Oh, but Vikings are so good. Highly mobile anti-air force that also excels at raiding expos? Yes please!

Bnet is down, updater comes up when you launch SC2 but the patch isn't available for DL yet. I'm getting antsy, been watching day9 for 3 hours and I need to get in there and take advantage of the Terran buff :D

At least you're not getting ANSI.

I'm going to enjoy the terran buff too. That 100 gas is gonna go a long ways for speed. Makes that reactor build a little less scary. I like to use three barracks - two tech bays for maurauders and one reactor for marines. I research Stim/shield/concussion between the two and now I can probably get a factory in there too... maybe get a couple helions in my first attack. Break through the wall and shoot the helions to the back resource line while MM beats up the front. Even if I lose I can still knock out their resources long enough to build another wave with drop ships or some more appropriate counter.

Not sure if that 100 gas and minerals will translate in to all that but it might...

Patch 13 is downloadable now but Bnet is still down pending update (db wipe I expect).

Anyone who wants to friend me, PM me your RealID, or add me: ennuinin[AT]gmail

Played a game today.. I must say, warp gates are pretty OP, STILL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back