Upgrading my Vista Computer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got myself a copy of Retail Vista Ultimate from a friend that works with Microsoft. Now, I have a semi-old computer (3.0GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 9800) that I know will run Vista, but I know I'll be doing a whole system upgrade within a year.

Now, I heard from LifeHacker and Slashdot that Microsoft only allows the Vista license to be transfered between computers once. Meaning that if I installed in on my current computer, I would be allowed to transfer it to my new computer, but then the license would be permanently attached to that computer (ie: if it broke I would have to buy a new copy of Vista).

Now, I like upgrading my computer, so even if my new computer doesn't break, sooner or later I will start switching out the hardware, which might cause me to invalidate my Vista copy.

Is my analysis of this correct. Is there a way to get around this unfair limitation?

Thanks

Torrentz. Just use a preactivated Vista Ultimate pirated version with your current PC, and install the legal one on your new.

That said, with your specs I advise you to stay with XP.

I'd advise anyone to stay with XP.

inb4vistafanboys

I wouldn't recommend getting vista with those specs tbh.

Good, didn't catch that Microsoft retracted the policy. Since I got Vista for free, I might as well dual boot with it and see if I like it. More likely than not, I'll end up removing it and waiting for another two years until I have no choice but to install it.

As long as I can install/uninstall it as often as I want, I'm happy.

Aye, upgrading with those specs won't bring you the best luck with performance.

Back